Menu

Anything objectionable in "Bolt"?

My 5 and 3 yo girls saw a trailer for "Bolt" before Pinnochio yesterday. They are interested in seeing it. It is PG -- which concerns me almost more in animated films (I didn't let them see either Madagascar film, or Happy Feet due to the sex*al innuendo). They have seen "serious" films such as Narnia: LWW and PC with no problems (but lots of explanation -- we're reading LWW right now)

Why is it PG? All of the "family friendly" online reviews seem to say it is fine except for "mild peril" or "mild cartoon violence". Who knows these days...ratings seem so subjective to me.

Thanks!

Bolt is the hero of an action cartoon series inside the movie, thus the reason for the cartoon violence. I don't really care for Madagascar because of what I feel is humor aimed mostly at adults, but I think that Bolt is just a fun movie for children. Sweet and funny. My 5 yo ds loved it.

JMO,

Joy

We took our dd3 to see it and she loved it. There's an action sequence that's being "filmed" for a movie that fast paced with a few explosions, with bad guys are lying around "dead" but the director calls cut and they get up. The hamster's a bit excitable, I thought he was funny, but some might consider him annoying. Basically you "animal in peril" flick.

I get all my reviews from pluggedinonline.com and they're quite thorough in their content.

Hope you enjoy it.:lurk5:

**Spoiler Alert**--don't read if you haven't seen the movie and want to be surprised with the ending.

The movie was a hit with my boys, but my youngest son was scared by the fire scene at the very end of the movie. In this scene, Penny is trapped in a burning building, and Bolt rescues her; it's a fairly long, intense scene. At one point, Bolt lies down to die with her, but he then he finds a way to get them both out. If you have a sensitive child, it can be scary.

My 5 and 3 yo girls saw a trailer for "Bolt" before Pinnochio yesterday. They are interested in seeing it. It is PG -- which concerns me almost more in animated films (I didn't let them see either Madagascar film, or Happy Feet due to the sex*al innuendo). They have seen "serious" films such as Narnia: LWW and PC with no problems (but lots of explanation -- we're reading LWW right now)

Why is it PG? All of the "family friendly" online reviews seem to say it is fine except for "mild peril" or "mild cartoon violence". Who knows these days...ratings seem so subjective to me.

Thanks!

We wouldn't see those either for that reason, but I read the review on www.screenit.com, and it seemed fine to me.

I check every movie out with screenit.

My DD (who just turned five) is in LOVE with Bolt. In fact, just yesterday for her birthday I got her Bolt figures, a Bolt card, Bolt balloon, Bolt cake toppers, Bolt plates and cups, etc. She has two Bolt stuffed animals and a Bolt shirt. Yes, she's a Bolt freak LOL. We saw it in the theater back in November, I think. Then we purchased the movie when it came out last month. I found nothing objectionable in it. It's really cute!

My 3 3/4 yo dd loves Bolt. We have the DVD, and she'd watch it all day if I let her. She's not very sensitive, though. It takes a lot to phase her. I could see how some scenes might be intense for some kids, but they're not nearly as scary as Ursula in The Little Mermaid, in my opinion. My same dd won't watch Ursula, but has no problem with Bolt.

We turned it off about five minutes into the movie and wish we had done so sooner. There was way too much violence IMO.

A scene being filmed or not, it was far too much for children IMO. Bolt flips a car then goes around to show the person in the upside-down car. Bolt dashes through highway traffic while people on motorcycles crash. Then he catches a bomb, jumps up and over a helicopter...as they show the person sitting in the helicopter...and then the helicopter explodes.

So I'll be the dissenting vote here and say :thumbdown:

We turned it off about five minutes into the movie and wish we had done so sooner. There was way too much violence IMO.

A scene being filmed or not, it was far too much for children IMO. Bolt flips a car then goes around to show the person in the upside-down car. Bolt dashes through highway traffic while people on motorcycles crash. Then he catches a bomb, jumps up and over a helicopter...as they show the person sitting in the helicopter...and then the helicopter explodes.

So I'll be the dissenting vote here and say :thumbdown:

:iagree:

It scared both my kids (6 and 7) and left them in tears. Sorry, but it was a lot of suspense and scariness for us (and only 1 of the 2 kids is sensitive).