Menu

What would you do with an extra room the size of a small bedroom?

I would put in a small fold-out couch, a (very) small dresser, and use the rest of the space as a hobby room for myself. My sewing maching and table, fabric, yarn stash, etc. could go in there, and then if we had a guest (rare!), I would still have a place to put them. Ahh, the luxury of an empty room.

We have a room like the one you describe. We have a double bed & nightstand for guests in it, but it hasn't been used by a guest yet (we've been here 6 months). We also have a wall of extra bookcases in it, and the kids music stuff (full size drum set, guitar, and small amplifier). We don't heat this room, but it doesn't freeze because a small amount of heat gets under the door, and it retains it's sun-heat quite well. Obviously we would heat it if we were to have a guest during the heating season.

Realistically, a guest room.

In dream land, if I didn't care if anyone saw it, I would make it a family closet. I saw this idea on one of the Duggar's shows. How neat would it be to have everyone change in the same room. (NOT, at the same time people, really! :D:p) All the folded laundry would go to the same room. All the hung laundry would go to the same room. All the unmatched socks in a basket in the same room. All the......Can you tell I am staring at a huge pile of clean, but unfolded clothes?!?

A laundry room.

Use it for washing machine, ironing board, radio, dryer and shelves for all the clothes so that you can sort them straight from the dryer onto the shelf. If you put a chair in their you could even have people dress in there. No more sorting and distributing clothes!

1) library with a table in the center and a couple kid-height shelves left empty so that people could spread out and do long-term projects, puzzles, board games, etc without having to put them away then it was time to eat or whatever

2) family closet (if it was relatively close to the laundry area)

3) storage room with floor to ceiling shelves

If it were me, it would be a library. Floor to ceiling bookshelves on at least 3 walls, a small table with two hard-backed chairs (the kind that will make you uncomfy and keep you awake if you're studying when tired), and one comfy upholstered chair with a reading lamp. I so envy you that small empty room!:)

~Julie~

We have a similar room in the new house, and it is going to be a rec room. It will have all of the games, comfy chairs, toys, etc. All of the bedrooms are upstairs, and we may have families over that we do not know well, so I want a place downstairs for the kiddos to play.

A music room and library are good options, too. Our family room will be both of those things, so we already had that covered. But if you don't already have either of those, they would be great.

I would put a full size bed on one side, with a small dresser or nightstand. On all of the other walls I would put shelves. I would put the most elaborate storage system that you could afford. That way you have a spare bed (but not to big as to encourage long term stays : ) and you can have your storage space.