Menu

Curriculums & resources for the summer

Guest milliemil

Guest milliemil

Hello All,

Can you all share what you are doing education-wise for the summer? I'm looking for curriculum/resources that could supplement and/or shore up what my kiddos have been doing in school; particularly in math, language arts, and science that's designed to be completed over the summer. I have a 12 yr old (6th grader), 10 yr old (4th grader), 8 yr old (2nd grader), and a 5 yr old (pre-k).

Thanks for sharing.

Millie

DD(9) will be doing math review from various sources and math games. She will do a lot of fun writing using the Bravewriter lifestyle suggestions. As for science, she will do 2 weeks of an Autobon Society nature camp at a local preserve.

DS(7) will be doing RightStart math, math games and some fact practice. He will be doing some journal writing, copywork, and dication using the Bravewriter lifestyle suggestions. He will also do 2 weeks of nature camp.

Once I figure out the topics of the nature camp weeks, we can do some additional reading and projects at home.

Edited by ack25

I have certain goals (math and reading comprehension) so I'm focusing on those goals.

Dd8 and dd6 will do CLE math. I need to get dd8 ahead in math because otherwise she'll struggle.

I plan on using Reading Comprehension for Varied Subject Matter for both girls, again the 8 year old needs the extra help.

ds3 will work on phonemic awareness with me as playtime. He's speech delayed so I want to make sure that he's not behind on that.

Along with gymnastics camp for dd8 (she has 6 weeks), library reading program for both and my work schedule I think that's about all I'll have time for. I hope to have time to throw in some swimming lessons somewhere, too:tongue_smilie:.

I have a ds, 8yo, fininshing up 2nd grade. We will be focusing on writing, grammar, math, and handwriting. We haven't done any history or science at all, so I'm trying to incorporate that in as well.

Writing/Grammar-Finish BJU English 2

Math- CLE Math (we just started this, we'll see how it goes)-drill math facts :multiplication

handwriting-perfect manuscript (ds handwriting needs improvement b4 starting cursive)

Reading- Sonlight Core 2 intermediate readers

K12 science- K level for my 5yo ds. Big brother will piggyback from the topics with living books

History- Read aloud SOTW 1 or listen on audio

Continue phonics and math with 5yo ds

It seems like a lot, however we're only doing 1hr per day 3-4 days per week, not including read aloud time at bedtime (SOTW) and 30 min. of independent reading for my oldest. ;)

For science, you could do Considering God's Creation for all of them together.

For math, just some worksheets that are skill and drill. They don't take long to do and will keep their math skills fresh.

Pick out some books from the TWTM on subjects that might be interesting to them so they like to read, not forced to read something they don't like. Ask them to write book reports and then present the report to the family ask a speech type thing.

Make whatever you do short but fun and more famly oriented. Don't burn them out with too much we pressure to school. Try to do things that don't burn you out trying to teach many different levels.

A lighter version of school: some math worksheets, games, readers to keep his skills fresh, books from the library on dinosaurs and prehistory to help prepare them for SOTW 1 in September, informal habit training (as usual) and exercises to help discern time. I'll make sure to keep him writing as well, whether it be notes on what we're learning or a few sentences on field trips.

I am afterschooling my 6 yr old (kindy) with MUS, Winter Promise, and Abeka phonics, and language. I will finish up our year this summer.

Next year the school is going to add more hours (they go from 8-2:50) so I'm undecided if I'm going to continue public school with him or homeschool him along with my oldest. He wants to go to school, but these schools are all on probation for failing grades. I have to after school my kids if they attend the schools here. Its such a shame too. After they spend all day at school the last thing they need is more school. KWIM

I think next year we'd have to afterschool Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays to get in a decent amt of schooling done through out the school year, plus school during the summers.

Homeschooling is my choice, but I let my kids have a say in their education as well. As long as he's safe at school I cant deny letting him attend. I do have my stipulations though... they know they will be schooling with mom as well as at school.

sheesh I got off topic again.

My older boys will be working on writing this summer. I have Classical Writing to use. My 4 year old is beginning to read, and we will continue with The Reading Lesson and The Code books. The two year old will work on potty training, no curriculum needed. I also want to concentrate on Latin. I may have my oldest take Latin through GA's ehighschool next year. I need to ask our graduation coach about it.

When I was in elementary school, back in the dark ages, I was in a Junior Great Books program. I am going to try to find that for ds8. Ds14 has used this program in middle school, so I know it is still out there.

Son 7

Alexs - We love it! Got the free 1 month trial but will purchase...

BookAdventure.com

Son 6

Primary Mathmatics Singapore Math 2A

BookAdventure.com

Piano

We will watch limited TV in Spanish during the day. (Kids are in Spanish Immersion School).

Now I need to find a plan for writing (both handwriting and creative writing.) Thinking of having them study a topic of their choice. I also would love to have both boys learn typing .

• 2 weeks later...

I have two kids, but close in age to a couple of yours! DD is 10 (going into 5th) and ds is 4 (but will be 5 in July, so heading for Kindergarten).

Aside from the 5 billion VBS's they want to attend (okay, so it's really not that many, it just seems like it when I'm driving all the time. But I'm glad they want to go!), we will be doing Lyrical Life Science following the WTM schedule for 5th grade science. (See, Susan, someone DOES follow the schedule! Or, at least, I plan to do so!)

Plus, with that, I'll be implementing the TOPS Green Thumbs books. Both these and Lyrical Life Science I bought with my whole Sonlight Core 3 curriculum a couple of years ago. But we never really delved deep into the science part of it. Now that my dd is finishing up 4th grade she's been telling me that she really likes science. Great! Since I'll need to do SOMEthing to keep her and the little guy occupied this summer we're doing SCIENCE CAMP at home. Fun. Relatively easy. And cheap!

I'm also going to implement some penmanship and book reports. Maybe even some Latin, but I'm, as of yet, undecided on that. Hope that helps you somewhat!

Guest milliemil

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I apologize for not responding sooner but my hubby just deployed to Iraq this past week and as you can imagine, it has been crazy around here.

Anyway, because of my hubby's deployment (and my mental stability:)), I would like this summer to be fun and somewhat easy going. So, I want to keep our educational endeavors light, yet thorough and worthwhile. I will certainly explore the resources you all have given.

Thanks again.

Millie

My 8 yo will continue with 2-3 pages a day of Abeka LA, math 3, and then read with me. She is reading SL core 3 books right now. Im not going to push them too much over the summer.

My 6 yo will do abeka LA 1 and Math 1 (possibly start math 2) and then read SL readers from la 2 regular.

My 13 yo will stick with Sl core 4 as we are in week 20. He is going to continue with math...I just dont know which one. He loves LOF...but I may add in saxon....I am unsure.

My daughter squawks so much about doing anything remotely schoolish during the summer that I mostly just try to focus on reading some good books. She is an avid reader, so she's always got a book going. For our read-together time, I try to choose things that are varied and worthwhile, and that she maybe wouldn't pick on her own. A lot of the books on my list of things to read came from the Sonlight catalog. We also spend lots of time at the library.

I am insisting that she do at least a little bit of math review during the summer. Not every day, but at least a couple times a week. I got some of the Key to Algebra books to help review some topics she had trouble with in school this year. Otherwise, I think I will just leave it open for things like swimming, camping, doing art work, etc. Stuff that we don't always make time for during the school year.

My kids will be taking some time off in June to visit grandparents in another state. When they get back though, we are going to continue schooling ( at least 3 days a week). Plus we have a garden to tend to and other things that the kids are into. I find that if we don't slow down too much during the summer, we have more flexibility during the rest of the year:)

• 4 weeks later...

I am not going to be any help since mine are little. We tend to ramp up the sports and outdoor activities more this time of year since the weather permits.

DD(4.5)- piano lessons, cheerleading (competitive indoor and outdoor traditional), soccer (ends in a couple weeks), karate, Headsprout, Starfall.com, ETC, Singapore math and some Kumon activity stuff. Its all about short and to the point - like most of the time with a 4 year old. Truth be told I am personally really just focusing on phonics and letter writing this summer. She likes math and is well ahead of where she needs to be in understanding it so we just throw it in informally here and there. I would like her phonics and writing skills to catch up to her mathematical abilities at this point.

DS is 16 months and is working on walking and expanding his vocabulary. LOL

My son is going into junior high next year, so our schedule is heavier this year than last. Luckily, he likes doing supplemental work, so I don't have to deal with balking. :tongue_smilie:

We tweaked our former plans a bit but here is our plan:

Most mornings:

1. NEM and Art of Problem Solving math

2. Wheelock's Latin -- review vocab and do assignments

3. Men of Rome, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths -- read aloud and discuss

4. Classical Writing's Homer for Older Beginners -- a bugger to figure out initially, but after that, it's pretty good.

5. Rod and Staff grammar mostly done orally (used with Classical Writing)

6. Read aloud from Realms of Gold anthology and discuss

7. Read a few pages from Shakespeare's Richard III. I live near Chicago, and we'd like to see this at the Shakespeare Theater in fall.

Lunch and afternoons:

Time for friends, TV, video games, chores and, most importantly, lawn mowing ('cuz I sure don't want to do it)

Late afternoons and evening:

Fencing, M-F and Sat mornings

Wheelock's lesson with Dad. So far this has been fun. Go figure!

Classical Writing, part two

Read before bedtime

Throw in a few saxophone lessons to keep sharp.

Go to concerts, plays, museums, festivals, and restaurants throughout the area.

Visit grandma in the city where he'll eat too many cookies and watch Sponge Bob marathons.

Road trip to North Carolina! :auto:

• 4 weeks later...

I am ramping up my DD to be a little ahead when she enters PK. We are working on reading, basic math computation and handwriting. She is also involved in karate and cheerleading. She just finished soccer and takes piano. I consider those extras all part of her learning.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first summer homeschooling about 8 hours a week, and we'll probably continue with afterschooling history and Spanish in September. (I think we'll do it mostly in the car with SOTW and Spanish CD's, as we spend 45 minutes a day in the car going to and from school.)

I'm trying to catch up on writing for ds9 using Writing with Ease (http://www.peacehillpress.com). He breezed through Levels 1 and 2 and we're doing 3 now, plus reading some classics and getting him to narrate, practice dictation, summarize in 2-3 sentences. He hates writing in general, but is slowly getting neater. We're also reviewing phonics (to help with spelling) using Phonics Pathways, alternating with grammar in God's Gift of Language. Dd7 adores writing so she's doing fine with Level 2 of Writing with Ease and the above. For math we're doing some age level workbooks alternating with the Mathematics Enhancement Programme found at http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm. Lots of manipulatives for the younger one, and interspersing computer math games for practice for the older. Then we alternate World History (Story of the World Vo. 1) with Spanish for Children Primer A, both of which they really enjoy.

Have fun!