Menu

bad cat bite tonight ~ do I go to the doctor tomorrow?

We have a stray that showed up within the last 5 weeks that we have been feeding and housing at night. She and our male just got into a terrible cat fight (in the house). They have been avoiding each other but.... anyway, in seperating them, I picked up the female stray and she bit the tar out of the top of my hand. It's bleeding and swelling up. Having never been bitten by a pet before, is this normal? I cleaned it and have Neosporin on it and have read all the potential rabies issues.

The stray is someone's pet. She has a collar (no name), and is obviously used to be indoors as she runs in every chance she can and has been a good house cat thus far. However, we haven't found her owner (posted signs) and therefore, I don't know her shot history.

Does that mean I should go to a doctor and get a rabies shot to be safe?

TIA, Debbie

Edited by debbiec

Hm, we've had some experience with that (we have an aged cat who startles easily and bites -- hard -- as a reflex).

If this was your family pet, I'd say don't worry, but if you don't know where the cat has been . . . or what other animals she's come into contact with . . . I would at least call my doctor.

There are some other nasty infections you can get from a cat bite. We haven't had to go to the doctor, but we've had to be diligent with Epsom salt soaks, etc, until the swelling and redness went away.

From having been raised with show cats in my childhood, I think she is an old cat and I think she did get startled. I think my male walked up on her and scared her (he was just walking around her), because she swatted him, our lab and me....but you're right, I don't know her shot history.

My Dd is a vet nurse and got bit by a cat a few months back. She did have to go to the ER where they washed it out and she was on antibiotics for a while. Her hand was numb and swelled terrible and she still has scars today. I wouldn't mess with it especally if you don't know whether the cat had a rabbies vax or not.

My dad was on i.v. antibiotics when a cat bite turned nasty. As was another friend. You definitely need medical attention. The local vet or shelter needs to check out the stray cat - maybe she has one of those microchips and they can track the owner and shot history. otherwise you are probably looking at rabies shots.:mad:

That said - I grew up with cats and now have four cats. I have never had a problem with a bite getting nasty...but then all my cats are indoor only cats and have had all their shots. Think of this stray cat as you would any wild animal - if a raccoon, say, chomped you you'd get it checked out, right?

It's not as much of an issue of the cat being up to date on shots as it is an issue of the bacteria cats carry in their mouths. The last thing you want is a cellulitis infection, and it can develop very quickly if untreated. (Then again, you may be fine, but it isn't worth the gamble). Ampicillin is the drug of choice for cat bites, and if you get in soon enough you won't have to worry about being admitted for IV antibiotics. Best to treat with oral antibiotics and avoid the hospital :001_smile:. Oh, and be sure your tetanus is up to date, too! Let us know how it goes!

Christa

BTDT with respect to rabies shots. The rabies shot itself is not a bad shot at all and it is given in the arm, not the stomach. The part that's a pain is staying on the schedule for shots, because you have to go to the ER. They are too expensive for dr's to carry them in the office. The shots that hurt are the human immunoglobulin (probably spelled that wrong). They are a thick shot, like penicillin. The heavier you are, the more you get! You get those the first day, then not again. Even so, they are not horrible or anything, but they do hurt. The rabies shots really don't. So if you have to get rabies, it's not as bad as you might think, just terribly inconvenient.

No, treat it at home and keep her close for 10 days. If she gets sick and/or dies, go get the rabies shots. Otherwise, you should be safe. An animal can only pass rabies through saliva when they are rabbid...which typically kills said animal in 10 days or less (hence the quarantine a lot of dogs are put under if they bite someone).

Trust me...as a hypochondriac, I know all my facts on rabies. LOL

They will probably want to put you on antibiotics. As someone posted already, cat bites can get ugly very quickly.

I'd definitely call tomorrow.

:iagree: I'd call tonight. Bites on hands puncture small compartments in the hand and infections become destructive quickly. You need the fine motor skills of your hands.

As for rabies, it depends on your area. Cat bites do not get people the expensive and unpleasant series in my area. We don't even kill the animal and examine the brain.