Menu

Q: visiting India and/or Dubai for 2-3 months w/ family: pros? cons?

There's a possibility dh might take a job flying for a few months in India or Dubai [a pilot friend of his just got back from India doing this]. It pays well enough that we could probably take the whole family along.

[they would be 15yos, 12yos, 8yos, 5yod, 3yos].

he's avoided these jobs for some time due to his safety concerns, but I also know that plenty of people travel there and back safely enough.

i know it wouldn't be EASY, but we're making a list of all the pros and cons and i figger'd I'd get y'all's input.

The long flights with a 3yo wouldn't be a lot of fun, nor would it be fun to go with children who didn't want to go, if that were the case. Your kids' personalities can be a pro or a con. Sorting out what to do with your house or apartment would probably be the biggest hassle. You can't leave it empty for that long without its affecting your insurance.

It's expensive to get that many people to Asia, and this would be a great opportunity to take your family. I also think it's SO much better to stay somewhere for longer than a week or two. If you're there for a couple of months you could rent an apartment and settle in a bit (or maybe travel around India or the Middle East). I don't feel like I've really been in a place till I've at least gone grocery shopping and cooked a few meals there.

English will be more widely spoken in either of those places than in most parts of Asia. I wouldn't be concerned about safety in either Dubai or India.

There are so many other things that would be wonderful about a trip like this. One of the reasons we homeschool is so that we're able to do things like this. That's the biggest pro of all.

Get a copy of the book Culture Shock! India. This is a series of guide books, but they are aimed at longer-term visitors to a country. I came across this at a used bookstore and read it in just a couple of sittings. It was fascinating and I imagine it would be extremely helpful for someone wanting to pay an extended visit.

When I came across one of the series for France, I grabbed it. Not quite as much fun to read, but still good.

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Shock-India-Survival-Etiquette/dp/0761454845/

Thanks so far--

i think thekids would be ok w/ going as long as they knew we were coming back, and I'm not even too worried about the flights w/ little kids --we've done straight-thru cross country drives a few times so i think we'd be ok w/ that. I think i could get a friend to house sit for us. I'm guessing it would be a pain to take the dog too, eh?

a Q being shouted over my shoulder ;): what about prescription medicines? if anyone needs any while we're there, how is that handled? [we're pretty healthy as it is tho ]

vaccines - understood.

travel expense- yup. the only reason we're considering it is the money is good ;)

passports - yup. dh is the only one that has one right now.

I'll check out that book series- thanks.

and i agree- it would be a cool opportunity, despite the inconveniences!

I imagine you would have internet access, though, and your kids could communicate with their friends. If we had the opportunity to go, I would take it in a heartbeat. It would be totally disruptive to the normal schedule of sports, social life, music lessons, etc, but I would do it anyway.

India has always seemed so complex to me. I just can't seem to follow the history or religion or culture. One of the cons for me would be overcoming this difficulty.

Regarding prescriptions, for that length of time, it's probably easiest to just take the amount you'll need for the 2-3 months. Sometimes you'll run into rules that don't allow that, but explaining your situation to your doctor usually helps. I haven't had a problem with that when we've traveled.

I don't know about India and the UAE specifically, but it is often inexpensive and not very difficult to get prescriptions overseas. Sometimes they don't have the exact same medication you're used to taking, but it's not impossible to get your prescriptions while you're traveling. It also can be an advantage if you're traveling into a country where they might hassle you about taking in excess drugs (although a doctor's prescription usually solves that problem).

What kind of transpo would you have in either location? You don't necessarily need your own car, depending on public trans availability, but I'd for sure want to be able to get out and see the locality and the people. If I had no transp, or it were too cumbersome with the # of kids, it'd be a no go for me.

Beyond that and a few other tiny concerns, I'd be gone in a heartbeat! The older kids will remember it forever--lucky!!!

(I grew up overseas, and I've alway been thankful for the experience!)

Having travelled several times to India with kids. And once to Dubai. Go for it.

For India you need to get Hep A vaccine just getting the first dose is enough. Take lots of Imodium and Pept/Mylanta. For the kiddos one generic antibiotic is enough for the trip. You can get the rest of the meds there. If you feel the need, have your PCP write out Rx for the major ones like persistent diarrhea, or bronchitis. Meijer has a free antibiotic program and we usually get an antibiotic prior to traveling and just pack it.

In India keep passports and money on you unless staying with family. Transportation is dirt cheap with the rikshas (auto riksha, basically open taxis). If you get a chance go to the villages in India, amazing for the kids to see. Even a small day trip is more than enough. Don't travel at night unless on train.

You must drink bottled water in India, no ice! I made my kids even use bottled water for brushing their teeth. I used tap, but I've been there more than them and my aunt's house has a filter and pretty modern. But I didn't want to risk it for the kids.

Duabi is a very advanced city, so no probs there. There are great hospitals etc. Very safe.

Both places take american express most everywhere so I really didn't carry that much cash with me.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

You must drink bottled water in India, no ice! I made my kids even use bottled water for brushing their teeth. I used tap, but I've been there more than them and my aunt's house has a filter and pretty modern. But I didn't want to risk it for the kids.

I did this too. Only bottled water for brushing teeth, washing hands before putting in contact lenses, etc. No ice and no cut fruits/salads.

Anne

Well you would get to visit me :tongue_smilie:

For the length of time you're talking about, frankly I can't think of any cons. I mean, I would love to go just about anywhere that was really different for me (and my family) for that length of time -- long enough to really experience but short enough to know that it has a defined end, if you know what I mean.

I will mention that expense-wise Dubai is pretty much like any large city in the States. You might find it less expensive overall (taking into account housing, travel, etc.) in India, if that is a consideration.

Well you would get to visit me :tongue_smilie:

And me too:D

Like Kate has mentioned- I cant think of any cons for staying a short period of time.

A few of my friends are in the process to moving to India ( leaving the UAE), and have young children. They are excited- it is an adventure.

I have only visited 2 states of India-and I would return in a heartbeat ( actually, Im hoping DH wins a contract over there, he has put in a tender for, so we can spend a decent amount of time there)

I have never once feared for my safety in either India or the UAE- like any country in the world- just be aware of your surroundings.

I have lived in Dubai for a few years, and now we have moved to the emirate north of Dubai- Sharjah.

If you have any questions, please yell out.

As for public transport- taxis and buses are very, very cheap in India ( scary traffic - but the UAE also has terrible drivers)

There are public buses here in the UAE, (they get packed- and not an ideal way to travel here). Taxis are cheap though.

If you decide to drive- fuel is cheap, but you will only be able to drive a hire car ( best get an International DL). You wont be able to purchase a car + get insurance without residency. ( something I guess you wont be doing if you are are only here a few months).

The Metro ( train) is due to open on 09/09/09- but it will just run from 1 side of Dubai to the other at this stage.

I've been to India three times, am planning a 4th, and would LOVE to take my kids but with the expense and dh's resistance, probably not going to happen.

I love India and Indians a lot. Yes, even clean your teeth with bottled water. I never took shots, but I never took kids, either, and I do know people who got Hep A in India.

I am a herbalist and I took a herbal diarrhea medication once to India, as a precaution in case I got a bug. Don't do that. If you or any kids get a stomach bug, you need the good stuff. You can probably get it there- someone gave me some when I got sick. Next time, I will take it with me because when it hits, you need something, like, now. But, I will add, I have been in India for a total of almost 5 months, and have only been sick there once, and it lasted 2 days.

I find India a real adventure.

I vote, go for it. I would, in a heartbeat.

Where abouts in India would you be based?

The other down-side is all the hassles dealing with the school-board when you pull them out of school. Not :D

[/color][/font]

:lol: Love it!

I have a friend that travels extensively for work - i'm trying to figure out how this is going to work for him next year when his son starts K. Those month+ long trips are over.... :tongue_smilie:

I have never been to either country, but I have to say that I don't think finding good medical care would be an issue. There are good doctors and hospitals in both countries. But do buy medicines from a reliable source; fake medicine can be a problem.

I think it sounds exciting.