Menu

What kinds of things do you do with a 6 month old?

Baby is almost 6 months old now, and I've been sensing he's bored and ready for MORE. He likes to read books (picture books, nursery rhymes), and he has some basic, developmentally appropriate toys (shape sorter, stackers, etc.). What else do you do with a 6 month old? Is there some book that would show me? It seems like it's easy to get busy with dd and just have him tagging along, watching. I want to savor my time with him too, kwim? This morning he discovered his shadow, so that was fun. :)

BTW, he LOVES the sling! It's quickly becoming his favorite way to nap down! I haven't decided if it's that he likes the movement because he's wiggley, or if it's just that he likes being near his Woman. ;)

THere are probably lots of websites and books to help--

In general, singing, talking, cuddling are all high on the list of 6 mo old baby games. If he can sit up, you have more possibilities. Try rolling a ball, knocking down block towers and restacking, and beginning fill/dump activities.

You can strip him down and let him paint with pudding. You can set up play in a water bin (watch carefully). You can continue to do those "tours of the (house,zoo,yard, etc.)," keeping a running commentary.

Here's a website with some good sling ideas, and lots of other stuff

http://www.fun-baby-games-online.com/baby-carrier-hip.html

at around 6 months is when we played lots of peek-a-boo, started finger rhymes(which she learned many actions to quite quickly), started fill/pour games, I would build towers with stacking cups for her to knock down, shaker/music toys-maracas, drums, tone tappers etc (she loved the maracas most, by 8 months moved on to recorders etc that she could blow in). I would hide toys under a receiving blanket and play "where'd it go?". Once she was sitting well I started using the old baby bathtub as a small water table, doing more activities in the high chair etc.

You can start baby sign language at this age, though it will probably be a while before baby really picks up on it. When my oldest was 6-7 months old I started showing her the sign for "milk" at each feeding, as well as "more" and "all done" during solid feedings. She understood them by about 8-9 months and could actually make the signs herself a while after that. So, that's something interesting you can work on with your baby while you are playing (signs for books, flowers, etc)

How about blowing bubbles? Bubbles are so much fun! Also, do you have a baby mat with activities that your babe can swat at and grasp while on the floor. These are wonderful! Baby mats also allow baby a chance to practice propping up on his arms and eventually rolling over. I remember reading that this is an important thing babies need to spend time doing daily in order to develop their motor skills. You can use a quilt or blankie if you don't have a baby mat. Have fun!

Johnny Jump up was great for both of my children at that age. At a normal height in a normal doorway, in an extra wide doorway, mount it a few inches lower and help him figure out how to swing and jump at the same time. (Put large pillows on each door even if it's really wide, you'd be amazed how they can get it going.)

Try these cards! I just got the 1 yr old cards for my dd. Wish I knew about them when she was an infant. They are idea cards. They are simple, use household items, and fun. You can just pick out a couple for each day. I think the have sets for infants to preschool.

For the 1 yr we have done the sliding cars down a ramp, sliding items down a paper towel tube, filling bowls with rice and transferring with spoons, etc.

They sell them at Rainbow Resource for a great price. I order them with my curriculum because keeping baby stimulated is part of the job.:001_smile:

There's a Gymboree Baby Play book that has a lot of fun ideas.

He might like being put in a laundry basket or box and being pushed around.

Bubbles are a blast.

Peekaboo.

Finger rhymes and bouncing songs. I highly recommend Sing a Song with Baby from http://www.naturallyyoucansing.com/blog/

sign language (I dislike tv for little ones, but both I and my children benefited immensely from Signing Time and also Baby Babble. http://www.signingtime.com and http://www.talkingchild.com )

If you have an exercise ball, put it between your legs and hold him on top and bounce him. Also, lay him on his tummy and roll him back and forth. Do the same on his back.

Sit in a spinning chair (like a desk chair) and spin. Try laying him across your lap on his tummy and doing this.

He MIGHT enjoy being held upside down by his legs and swung like a pendulum. He also might enjoy the "toss the baby" games.

Lots of time on his tummy with a cheering section, trying to reach for things and pivot and scootch.

Take him swimming.

Do baby yoga. http://www.itsybitsyyoga.com It's such a fun book!

A low mirror on the floor might be a blast for him.

Jolly jump ups and the like were a ton of fun for my older daughter. My younger one wasn't as entranced.

Not sure how good his reaching and grasping skills are, but the sort of toys (we got from the second hand store) that are designed to hang over a child but for them to kick or grab and usually rattle, etc. Sometimes called toy hangers I think.

Not sure if he's started solids or how his pincer grasp is, but he might enjoy cheerios.

Sticking a small block into a can and dumping it out. If he's sitting, smallish blocks can be fun.

Pot lids. They're fun to explore.

We did a lot of swinging at the park and the yard.

Playing with balls (textures are fun) and rolling rattles to encourage scooting.

We had a ball tracker that we got from Michael Olaf Montessori that was really neat.

Six months is a frustrating age. They want to DO stuff, but they can't yet. Once they start crawling it will be a lot more fun.

Ooo, more good ideas! I'll check those out, thanks! :)

And yes, he crawls. He's into everything these days. I wouldn't have thought of rolling with him on the big ball, but that sounds like fun! He's pretty physical and likes to be upside down, twirled, etc. :)

Ooo, more good ideas! I'll check those out, thanks! :)

And yes, he crawls. He's into everything these days. I wouldn't have thought of rolling with him on the big ball, but that sounds like fun! He's pretty physical and likes to be upside down, twirled, etc. :)

Hide and seek is really fun, too. Let him watch you crouch down around a corner, then call his name until he crawls to look for you. Many squeals usually ensue.

This is a perfect age to mount a baby swing on a tree or swingset. Keira can swing for as long as someone is willing to push her.

Barb

If possible in your house, floor time and more floor time.

Throw a blanket on the floor, put baby on blanket and set out lots of textured things. Wooden spoons or blocks, soft toys, patches of cloth sewn together with crinkly stuff in side, shiny things, well made bean bags. Obviously you need to make sure the items are baby safe but they do not always have to be 'baby' things.

Besides ones that have been listed, I would massage his arms, legs and body while singing to him.

I would also be sure he has tummy time learns to cross crawl, first on his tommy and then on hands and knees. This is very important to the development of children.

One book I found helpful when I got busy with life was

Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready (available at Rainbow Resource).

This is a compilation of a weekly activity for children ages newborn to five. I bought it when I had my third child (now almost 18!) and while I never followed it religiously (ie., doing each weeks' activity in order), over the years we did many of the activities--and because they were written down, my older girls (ages 4 and 6 at the time) could pick out stuff to do with their little brother.

The activities are not a push for early academics (although the last year covers alphabet activities) but developmental. There were easy directions for lots of tactile activities (especially in the early years), stringing suggestions, and more. I've since given my copy away (although now that we have younger friends with young children, I wish I hadn't...my youngest (now 13) would probably find it helpful when asked to amuse a 3 year old...) but I remember a few activities for the toddler ages: putting out a small object, reciting Jack jump over the candlestick while child jumps over said object; getting a laundry basket, rolling up socks, and shooting baskets; cutting shapes out of sandpaper, putting them in paper bag, and having child guess the shape before pulling it out of the hat--nothing too hard, but stuff I wouldn't naturally think of....

Frankly, I find it hard to remember the earliest (under one year) activities, but that is due more to foggy-mommy brain than anything else.... I do remember there was lots of touching involved... Also, I do recall that many of the activities had "long-term value" in that a given activity might be listed for "2 yrs, 5th week" but a four-year old would still enjoy it.....

Anyway, something else to look into. Enjoy that baby boy of yours!

I think my DC learned the most at that age by being worn in a baby sling. In a sling the baby is at grown-up eye level and gets to interact more with the world around them, rather than being on the floor or in a stroller. I could go about my day and still share what I was doing (washing dishes, peeling apples, grocery shopping, playing with my other DC), talking all the time with the baby and showing her what I was doing. Baby could reach out, and I could let her touch the soap bubbles, apple, or whatever I had (when safe, of course). I still use a sling for my youngest DS, but he since he is running around now, he doesn't want to be worn as often. I'll miss my sling days when they are over. :)

Edited by Mama2Three

• 1 month later...
Guest MikaH

:grouphug:My son loved to feel the breeze while I would take him out jogging with me. I had a comfortable jogging stroller, the phil & teds, and we both had fun. If you hook up a clipable radio and play his fav songs while you run it can be a very fun thing to do with them, even if they are really little.

For jogging in the rain: http://www.myregistry.com/Newsletters/5-12-2009/Newsletter_baby.html