Menu

Curriculum that has day to day lesson plans.

lynn

My ds is going into the 4th grade. I always liked Abeka for the reason of having an easy to follow day by day lessonsplans but I am bored with it now that I am on child #3.

What other curriculum do you recommend that will give me the day to day guides I need. I have a hard time organizing from scratch for I am always second guessing myself. I like Sonlight and it seems to offer the lesson plans I need. Any other suggestions for an advanced 4th/5th grader, fast learner, advanced reader. TIA. I am open to individual subjects you can recommend also.

K12

I love it, love it, love it! I just switched about a month ago, and as you can see I'm in the honeymoon phase. :001_smile: I really like the day by day plans, which are on the computer. Most of the lessons are in books, but all the planning is laid out very well on the computer. My favorite part of the curriculum is the Language Arts and Literature. It's so well done. My oldest is in 4th grade now, and will be advancing to 5th grade next year. It is very rigorous, and some say advanced. I'm not sure about the "advanced", but I do consider it rigorous. We work hard every day, and the children are learning more than ever! The curriculum is full of classic stories, poems, and fables, and the teacher's manuals are very helpful and step by step.

Extremely rigorous and thorough. If you don't finish everything in a day (or do extra, which never happens here) the computer automatically reconfigures your daily assignments. Completely laid out for you with little to no advance planning.

My Father's World:)

We have decided to use MFW next year precisely because I can easily adjust the reading levels for all three of our littles. I didn't need a curriculum that has language options since we are very happy with our use of FLL and WWE.

:hurray:You cannot rule out Sonlight. Not only does it have lesson plans written out for you (four-day or five-day format), but it is easy to customize it to your child's level.

We've used Sonlight for two years and I love the fact that I can make it work with two children. I do tweak here and there, but that's the beauty of the program. Plus! The way they have the schedule laid out, I can make adjustments where I need to, adding more or less to our day and not miss anything.:001_smile:

I would at least, give Sonlight a hard look before passing it over.

My Father's World. :thumbup:

Besides daily lesson plans, amongst the many options given to you here, you would then want to narrow down your list to things like how much biblical integration you want, whether you want history and science done chronologically, how much time you have in a day, your budget, how history and Bible are tied together, your enrichment subjects, the biblical worldview, the missions focus....

Heart of Dakota is nice, but since your oldest is somewhat advanced, you might have a hard time "fitting" him into HOD. She does have a new Ancients program that just came out, or there's Preparing (a one-year world history overview) which you could use with the extension package. But the problem I had when I looked at it was that my oldest had already read most of the books in the package. And there's too much of an age gap between my youngest two, so I would have to purchase two separate packages for them.

OTOH, combining HOD and MFW might also be an option. They're similar, yet different. Both have the lesson plans all laid out for you. You could pick and choose between the two which readings and activities you wanted to do from day to day. This could get overwhelming, though, as both are "complete" packages.

For our family, though, MFW works better for combining multiple children.

LOVE, LOVE CLE (Christian Light Education) for math and language arts. Moves quickly, not too much busy work and students become independent learners very quickly. I've tried sonlight for history. It's o.k. I'm planning on trying My Fathers World next year.