Menu

Share grade 5 schedules?

Audrey

Would anyone be interested in sharing their grade 5 schedule? I'm especially interested to see the range of subjects you cover, and the time it takes, as well as when you actually do stuff.

We're looking at really changing the way we schedule our lessons next year. I'm talking BIG change! We've been a mix of relaxed and rigorous, depending on the subject. I'm feeling like we need to get more defined about our timetable, so I'm open to all kinds of approaches.

If you have something along the lines of a spreadsheet or whatnot, I'd love those, too.

Thanks in advance! :001_smile:

My son is in Grade 5 this year--and I'm in the process of transitioning us to a more LCC type of Homeschool than a chronologically based one...so I'll just mention briefly what we have been doing. (If you want more details, check the weekly reports on my blog.)

Math--Singapore 4A. We've been doing two weeks in one to "catch up" to grade level.

Latin--Lively Latin. About 1/2 houra day.

Writing--just moved into Homer A. (Classical writing).

History--SoTW 2 (until Christmas) and, now, 3. He is required to write his own narrations most of the time. Sometimes I edit them, and make him redo them, (for spelling and punctuation) sometimes I don't.

I have him do 45 minutes if assigned independent reading. So far, it's been mostly History based. I tried to have him read novels and summarize them, but that didn't go very well. He's not a fan of "realistic" fiction.

We did Mind Benders, the first book and spatial reasoning also by Critical Thinking Press.

He dodes two pages from a Canadian Geography book.

Grammar is Rod and Staff 4 one lesson a day. Again, catching up.

Science--i-science by Singapore. Level 4. (He does it with his 3rd grade sister. It's too easy for both of them, but that's ok!)

I have to put the kids to bed. I think that's all.

Okay, my son turned 11 this month, making him 5th grade by age.

Here's what we're doing this year:

History & Literature: Home-made ancient history reading list, appropriate stories from Child’s History of the World, appropriate sections of the Parragon Atlas of World History, plus Netflix DVDs. Once a week, he does a worksheet reviewing the week's reading.

Geography: Florida Virtual School World Geography.

Math: University of California College Prep open access Algebra One course. Supplemental reading including two Murderous Maths books and The Number Devil. He's also doing Can You Count in Greek? to tie math into his history studies.

Science: Home-designed course on the history of ancient science, using Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way and Science of the Past books as a base, plus additional reading and Netflix DVDs. Hands-on activities based on Ancient Science: 40 Time-Traveling, World-Exploring, History-Making Activities for Kids.

(Latin: We started Galore Park Latin Prep, but gave up and dropped it just before the middle of the year.)

Greek: Greek Alphabet Code Cracker and Hey Andrew level 2.

Spanish: The Learnables Grammar Enhancement

English: Galore Park English Prep 2 plus writing assignments loosely based on the Classical Writing approach (using models related to history). He's also doing Word Roots B1.

Art (first semester): Florida Virtual School 2d Art Class.

Outside Classes/Activities: Dance lessons four days a week (ballroom, tap, ballet, character), pipe organ lessons and choir. He's done a few shoes this year (two ballet productions, community theatre and an opera). And he belongs to a model rocket club with his dad that meets once a month.

Now, for the nuts and bolts of how and when:

I write plans over the summer that result in a table for each week with all of the assignments. Here's a link to a sample of one of those on my blog:

http://tweakedacademy.blogspot.com/2008/09/cheating.html

Each Monday, my son and I go over the week's assignments, and he decides how much of each thing he'll do each day. We type that into another table, and he uses that to manage his days. There's a sample of one of those in that blog post, too.

The scheduling guidelines are that he must do math first, when both of us are fresh, and that he must do anything for which he needs my full attention (English, mostly) before 3:00. Other than that, he may choose the order in which he tackles things.

We do a four-day week for desk work, with Wednedays off (or mostly off) as long as he's caught up. Having that carrot dangling out there is a huge incentive for him. It works really well.

On a good day, he starts with some history/literature reading over breakfast and is sitting down at his desk by 9:00. On those days, he has the flexibility to take a longish lunch and watch an educational DVD while still finishing for the day between 2:00 and 3:00. Sometimes, he'll be done by noon. On less than great days (like today, when he got a late start because he had four shows and a rehearsal over the weekend and didn't get home until 11:00 last night), he might not really get to work until 10: or later. On those days, he'll either not finish, leaving make-up work for Wednesday, or have to work late and/or take assignments in the car to do on the way to and from his activities.

That's probalby more than you really needed to know, but if there's anything else you're curious about, feel free to ask.

Ds10 is doing grade 5 this year (he will be doing grade 5 again next year). A lot of what he does is below grade level but here is what he is doing now:

Math MUS Gamma, games, timez attack and complete a sketch books (30 minutes per day)

Science Apologia astronomy, SL sci 3(bought 2 years ago and never did, so doing now), we do science 1.5-2 hours twice a week

History SOTW 1 with AG, Kingfisher Encyclopedia, history pockets, lapbooks etc. (1.5-2 hours 2-3 days per week)

English R&S 3, copywork, cursive, MCP word study D, sequential spelling 1, Spelling workout B(he asked for these books and is about to start his 3rd this year), take to your seat writing centers and literature centers, and what ever other add-ins I decide like the novel study we are doing right now and the poetry unit I am planning. (english takes 1.5-2 hours daily)

Latin Prima Latina (this was put on the backburner for a while and now we are starting up again) (20 minutes daiily)

Logic Logic links puzzles, I also have perplexors which we have not started, and various logic games like camouflage and set. (20 minutes 3 times a week)

Bible Christian studies 1(30 minutes daily)

Geography Our home and native land (Canadian geography study) (1.5-2 hours, once per week)

Options/Other Health using abeka; artistic pursuits; home ec level 1 from pearables; (works out to 30 minutes per week per course)

Outside Activities We took this year easy, so he has guitar lessons 30 minutes per week(plus 15-30 minutes daily practice), cadets (3 hours once per week) right now, also done this year swimming lessons, gymnastics, track and field is starting soon, science fair is in the works right now, day camps(he is in one all this week), field trips at least once a month and whatever else I can fit into our schedule.

He is very immature for his age and has other issues at play so we are repeating his grade 5 year next year, much of what we will do is the same just one level higher, and he will be doing more extra currics at his request because once he hits 11 he qualifies for fencing and archery which he wants to try.

My 5th grader was a very late reader so she is not doing as much as my older girls did at this age. We usually start at around 9:30 am.

Assigned reading - 30-45m. (She does read quite a bit on her own now, but I still assign this time every day to be sure that she is reading books from my list for her!)

Easy Grammar 5 - about 20m

She does reading/grammar alone in her bedroom while I work with her brother.

TT Math 5 - about 40m.

She does the math in the LR on the computer while I am still working with her brother!

Spelling Plus - 15m

Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales (IEW Themed Writing book) - 20-30m, depending on the lesson

She does spelling/writing with me. We also go over her math and grammar at this time.

We usually break for lunch now!

Science - Apologia Botany - 20-30m, more if we are doing a project/experiment. She reads the text, narrates/discusses/answers questions, often does a notebook page.

History - Veritas/SOTW MA/Ren/Ref - 30-45m. I assign her reading, then narration/discussion, which leads to a writing assignment.

We used to do these together but she does as much by herself as she can. Sadly, she associates Mom reading aloud, narration and discussion with "not reading well enough" so I am looking for a better approach next year.

Bible - nothing formal this year, which I am regretting as I never remember to read with them :glare:

We will be adding a typing course this week - my husband bought it yesterday!

Normally, I would have a 5th grader doing more non-fiction reading and history/science projects, as well as some pre-logic books. I did not start a Foreign Language until about 6th grade with each of them, mostly because I was quite busy with new babies and some other issues. I am not sure that I think this child is ready for a FL next year but I am still considering.

HTH!

ETA: I should mention that she takes Ballet 2x per week. We add Ice Skating in the winter and soccer in the spring. We do crafts and she draws/paints, but no formal Art this year (though we have had lessons in the past). No music - I don't have the $$ for real lessons but....we are definitely lacking here.

Edited by Liza Q

10 yr old girl:

Math: Saxon 7/6, Singapore 6A (6B will probably be finished next year)

History: SOTW Ancients with supplemental reading/activities; we do map activities and timeline pages for each chapter, and a project for the Greek and Roman sections overall

Science: Singapore i-science 5; we keep a nature journal

Logic: Mindbenders and brainteasers, and we are also trying to cover some of the very basic logic terminology and ideas

Latin: Latina Christiana II

Art: Art in Story rather sporadically; a variety of technique books, occasional picture study, museum visits, lots of crafts

English: 20 spelling words per week, Vantage Learning online composition, Growing with Grammar 5

Other: typing, poetry memorization

X-stuff: piano and viola lessons, she took an art class and is about to start a tennis class, she goes to a couple of camps each summer, she'll do a 2nd year of swimming lessons soon, our weekly home school group is strictly social, and um, oh yes, girl scouts

Usually takes her 2-3 hours, with extra time here and there for projects and such. This was our hardest year for scheduling, as she jumped forward in ability and no longer wanted to Latin and such with lil sis.

Next year, I am planning to go with a modified block schedule, with emphasis placed on certain subjects/topics of study for a month or so at a time. We'll start with language arts, because delving into writing, literary terms and modes of discussion, reading skills, etc will benefit content subjects like science and history.

I also plan to implement a study hour, separate from the bulk of schoolwork.

Ours looks like this on a perfect day:

7:30-8:30: Breakfast & chores

8:30-9:15: Latin (Getting Started With Latin & Lively Latin)

9:15-9:30: Classical Conversations Memory Work

9:30-10:00: Growing With Grammar - Level 5

10:00-10:15: Break/Snack if desired

10:15-11:00: BJU Math 5

11:00-11:45: Assigned literature & independent work (Logic Liftoff, Math worksheet, cursive practice - these assignments vary from day to day)

11:45-12:15: IEW

12:15-1:00: Lunch break

1:00-1:30: Read-Aloud

1:30-2:30: Science (RS4K Chemistry) or History (History of US - Hakim) depending on the day.

2:30-3:00: Finish up any incomplete work from the morning. I do grading at this time, and sometimes I'll wind up calling one of them back to go over/re-do something.

3:00-4:30: Work on extra-curricular stuff if needed - Boy Scouts for my son, piano practice for my daughter. After that, the round of outside activities begins.

Obviously, every day doesn't look exactly like this, but seldom do we have a day that looks completely UNlike this either, if that makes sense. I find that having a predictable rhythm to our day helps us all, and it especially helps my ADD son. I use Homeschool Tracker for planning, and they get a printed assignment sheet for every day of the week, so they know exactly what they have to do, what pages to read, etc.

Hope something here helps, and good luck with your reorganization.

SBP

This is the schedule we are using this year:

10am Read aloud and discussion (subject specific history, lit, or religion)

10:45 Quiet reading time for 30 minutes

Mon-Thurs:

11:30 Latin (about 30 minutes)

Math - LoF Decimals or Singapore 5a (30-45min)

break (30 min)

Memory Work (10 minutes) via Living Memory

Classical Writing (30-45 min) We finished Aesop B now doing CW Poetry

Also working through an outlining book

break (5-20 min)

Read aloud time (fun book 30-45 min)

Fri:

Memory Work

Geography (30-45 min) World Geography

Science (45 min - 1 hour ) The Elements

Read aloud (fun book)

We are not morning people, hence the 10am start time. We generally finish up between 2:30 and 3:30 depending on how many rabbit holes we follow.

Art and music on done occasionally.

Here is what my 10yr. old 5th grade son does. We don't have any outside activities other than church AWANA on wed.

Bible CLE 30 min

Math MUS 1hr

Reading CLE 30-40 min.

Spelling BJ spelling 20-30 min.

Writing- Writing Tales 2 30-40 min

Science CLE 30 min. 4xweek

Geography/History CLE 30 min 4xwk

Growing with Grammar 30 min. 4xwk

I would love for him to also do Spanish and art but it hasn't happened. We listen to different composers for music, but that's about it.

We start around 9:00 a.m. take a hour break for lunch and finish up usually before 3:00 p.m.

Ok, our day is long but it is for a 4 day schedule because I work every weekend and one other day during the week. I do try to break up the seat work for him.

8-9 Morning meeting: Bible, poetry, Latin recitation, artist and composer study, and read-alouds

9-10 Independent work: spelling and math workbook page

10-10:30 Rod and Staff English (this includes grammar and writing)

10:30-11 math lesson

11-12 M-W: independent reading for literature and history Th: Art

12-12:30 lunch

12:30-1 more reading time so I can clean up and do some prep work for dinner

1-1:30 Latin

1:30-3 M+W history, T+Th science

Our schedule is listed below. You may also want to look at this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88868

Four days a week, we do a pretty full school day. About once a week there's an offsite activity at a museum or the zoo; those days are more informal.

School Day

8:30-9:15 - wake up, shower

9:30-10:00 - reading, breakfast

10:00-10:45 - math

10:45-11:15 - Latin

11:15-11:30 - Greek

11:30-12:30 - writing

12:30-13:30 - lunch and educational videos

13:30-13:45 - word roots or vocabulary

13:45-14:00 - grammar

14:00-14:30 - history or science

14:30-14:45 - music appreciation, art appreciation, French, logic, analogies, or puzzles

14:45-15:15 - reading

Afterschool Activities

Karate, acting, piano lesson, community basketball or soccer.

Evening

45-60 mins – reading (mix of history, science, and fiction)

20-45 mins - educational video (1-2x/week)

20-30 mins - mixed read aloud and memorization work (1-2x/week)

20 mins - piano practice (daily)

10 mins - music theory homework (1x/week)

Weekend

60 mins on Sunday - chess class

20 mins/day - piano practice

45-60 mins/day - reading

Workshops at local zoo, museums, university, etc.

Edited by plimsoll

Mon/Wed/Fri

Bible-My Father's World (reading Matthew) 30 min

Spelling- Spelling Wisdom 15 min

Grammar- KISS Grammar 15 min

Math- MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Program)+ MUS supp. 30 min

Foreign Language- Latina Christiana I 30 min

Literature- Library books 45 min

Composer/Picture Study- 30 min 1x week

Logic- Mind Benders and games after lessons (unlimited)

Tues/Thurs

Bible- Kay Arthur's How to Study the Bible for Kids+ Boyhood Beyond (character study) 30 min

Math- MEP + MUS 45 min

History/Geography/Art- My Father's World 30 min

Science- Just dropped MFW Science and started Interest Led Science 45 min

Literature- Library books 45 min

Composition- included as written narration throughout History, Science, Bible and Literature

Music Theory/Drama/Health/PE- co-op 2 hrs

Here's the schedule for this year and what it generally includes:

8-8:30 (or whenever we get started, LOL) - Bible/Character studies - at the beginning of the year, we worked through a small character training book, covered some etiquette books, finished up a Memoria Press Christian Studies II program and we're now reading through The Moral Compass and discussing.

8:30-9 - Math - Singapore and MUS Delta for drill work. Ds is also playing with some order of operations stuff. This is M-R for Singapore and every day for the MUS.

9-9:30 - Spelling/Word Study - Spelling Workout at a page a day with a test on Fridays. Earlier in the year we also worked through some Dictionary Skills and Word Study workbooks that I've had on hand a while.

9:30-10 - Writing/Handwriting - finished Getty-Dubay italic earlier in the year and do some occasional copywork in that writing style. Covered a workbook or two I had on hand for writing skills and then started WordSmith Apprentice. We're almost through with it and we are also doing some of the writing from our grammar program. This is generally M-R, but we're doing some Fridays now in order to finish up the book by year's end.

10-10:30 - Grammar - Abeka, God's Gift of Language B - we do about two pages a day, M-R, usually.

10:30-11 - Literature - I've been slowly reading through Eyewitness Mythology and Gods, Goddesses and Shamans (another anthology about mythologies), plus covering some literary elements using worksheets and info sheets from from online. Then we also are reading short stories from various mythologies as well as longer, historical fiction, etc.

Most of his written work can generally be covered in about two hours (including the languages and geography that are listed following this). This allows for us to really read a lot longer during the day. We generally can get in 1-2 hours before lunch, then we have time scheduled in for him to read after lunch, as well as time for our history/science reading and work.

11-11:30 - Geography - using Beautiful Feet study guide w/ Holling Books and creating a notebook.

11:30-12 - alternating Spanish (Espanol para Chicos y Grandes) and Latin (Latin Primer I). My son also has an outside, one hour Spanish class with a native speaker once per week and she has a Carson Dellosa workbook she uses to assign homework to them.

12 - 1 - Lunch

1 - 1:30 - scheduled reading time for my son, although he actually reads much more than this on most days!

1:30 - 3:30 - alternating history and science using WTM recs of loads of living books. The written work associated with these courses often actually gets completed during the two hours of written work time during the mornings, too!

Fridays are a lot lighter, allowing us time for field trips, to catch up from other outside activities that come up all year, etc. The only thing my son has right now that's a regular, weekly activity is a Monday piano lesson (30 mi). He's had other classes and activities throughout the year, but we're trying to sort of finalize things right now. He is doing a Friday morning botany lab and lit study with a friend, but that's pretty casual.

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming.

You have all given me some great perspective on grade 5 and scheduling. It really helps to see how you lay it all out.

I totally understand about "on a perfect day..." LOL. I don't expect perfect days, but I sure like to plan them. :D Thanks so much for letting me have a peek into your days.

Would anyone be interested in sharing their grade 5 schedule? I'm especially interested to see the range of subjects you cover, and the time it takes, as well as when you actually do stuff.

We're looking at really changing the way we schedule our lessons next year. I'm talking BIG change! We've been a mix of relaxed and rigorous, depending on the subject. I'm feeling like we need to get more defined about our timetable, so I'm open to all kinds of approaches.

If you have something along the lines of a spreadsheet or whatnot, I'd love those, too.

Thanks in advance! :001_smile:

Audrey, I haven't read the responses yet.

Looking forward to it.

We are just starting to get serious in a formal way.

6th grade is when we're really gonna have a better schedule.

But still be free.......

This year - dd is 11, 5th grade - Core subjects: English, Math, History, Science.

We do English first thing every morning.

*We start with Sequential Spelling (we are in level 1) 20 - 40 minutes

(maybe less, but it feels like more by the time she's done with all her silly examples of words)

*Grammar 30 minutes to an hour

We recite - parts of speech (list of helping verbs, pronouns, what does an adjective do, what questions do adverbs answer, she can recite the prepositions....) practice labeling parts of speech in sentences, discussion

*Then I assign cursive, grammar, reading comprehension work sheets and other work, like writing a letter to someone or some reading. (This gets done later when I go lay down with the baby).

Then we do math every morning: Anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

We might spend time on money, clocks, Roman numerals, fractions, and we might play some math games or just practice adding in our heads.

Then we'll talk about something new.

I may give her a worksheet or two to be done later.

If we had a 10 minute lesson - she gets worksheets.

If we got really deep into a few things I might only give her a short worksheet that covers the new thing we talked about - reinforcement.

History: 15 minutes to an hour or even longer....We love history.

We are doing SOTW. Have been stuck in Egypt and loving it.

Can't get enough of our library. We're even gonna do a research project on our favorite godesses/gods. Somedays we just dive into our library books. Other days I read from the textbook. There is alot of review - names and facts. I ask her definitions.

Science: Lately it's been videos from the library, the classes at the local museum, whatever books she gets into. Tonight she was reading a book about trees. Our science just happens. This summer I'm gonna start getting a little more formal and we're gonna study plants. We will be starting with our own seedlings that sprouted last week and I want to do Comstock's Nature Book - plant section. We will also use the National Audobon Fieldguide to our area.

Then in the fall -the start of our 6th grade, I want a science textbook.

Biology.

We are done by lunch. We eat. She goes in her room to do her worksheets while I nap with the baby. In the afternoon - we might read for fun, review something from our day - like 10 minute history discussion. Watch a video. Play a game. Do chores. She might play her DS.

Thursdays - gymnastics every one and library every other week. Maybe we carschool that day.

We're very flexible.

If I had to guess - we spend 15 to 20 hours a week kind of formal.

And many more hours discussing it in life and how it applies to us and the world and unschooling. Sometimes she has 6 days of formal school - 4 days of 4 hours, 2 days of 2 hours. And some in the morning, some at night.

5th grade it has been about WHAT WE WANT TO COVER and not so much about how much time we spend doing it.

Wow - this was long.

6th grade is gonna be a little more structured but we'll keep with our theme of "I want to cover X,Y,Z" over "I need to spend time from 9am to 10am discussing this, and 10am to 11am on that, and from 11am to 12 noon we'll do this..."

If I spend an hour on History, we might only do 10 or 20 minutes on math. But the next day we might do more math.

The important thing for me is to just sit down at the kitchen table and start the morning with that Sequential Spelling and get our day rolling. I don't leave the house and we get school done early in the day.

ETA - I do daily planning not weekly. It all depends on where we are, how well she knows something, before I want to go on to the next thing.

Edited by Karen sn

We've gotten more serious about our scheduling this year. We don't have set times for each subject, more I have "mini goals" for each week and try to stay flexible as far as how much time is needed to get the work done. Also, ds is now old enough to go to the masjid on his own for the formal prayers, so it helps to have that as set timings when we need to have things done or take a break.

Mornings:

Arabic (abt 45 min - 1 hr)

Math (abt 45 min - 1 hr)

English (abt 1 hr)

Midday prayer, usually btw 12.30 and 1 pm. We have lunch afterwards, then back to studies around 2 pm

Afternoons:

science or history (abt 1.5-2 hrs)

I have logic workbooks that he works on now and then when there's a gap in his day, and he does logic puzzles at night of his own volition.

Mid-afternoon prayer, usually btw 3-3.30pm

Rest of day:

sports: gymnastics, soccer or golf, from abt 3.30-5.30pm

Qur'an memorization class, from abt 6-8pm, 4 nights a week (it runs from the sunset prayer to the evening prayer, which shifts timewise)

dinner then homework (if there is any)

Homework is a new thing for us this year as well; before I tried to finish everything in the course of the day, but I found myself getting too bogged down with pushing him to complete work he could really do on his own. So now if it's running too long I have him finish up later on his own time. Sometimes things spill over into the weekend, which is fine. I make out a weekly "schedule", but tinker with it as we go along. Sometimes he is on a roll with math and does two days' work in one, for example, so I try to be flexible in that.

I'll give this one a try, Audrey!

I have a rising 5th grader and here's our rough game plan:

English - 9:00 - 10:30

Handwriting Without Tears Can Do Cursive

Fix It Grammar

Phonetic Zoo Spelling Level B

IEW Student Writing Intensive Level B

English from the Roots Up Volume 1

Red Herrings Mysteries

Math - 10:30 - 11:00

Teaching Textbooks Math 6

Reading - 11:00 - 11:30

Sonlight Core 5 Readers

Lunch - 11:30 - 12:00

Science - 12:00 - 1:00

Biology w/ Heath's Life Science

History - 1:00 - 2:00

Van Loon's The Story of Mankind

DK History: The Definitive Visual Guide

Art co-op is on Friday mornings, and then he has Tae Kwon Do lessons Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings, and he does volunteer work on Sundays

Hope this helps!

We don't have set times for each subject. Each day he does:

Math (right now Aleks, soon back to Singapore) @ 30 min-45 min.

Latin (Henle I) 30-45 min.

Writing (usually CW Homer) 30-60 min.

Assigned reading 30-60 min. (history, literature, classical studies)

Piano

On Fridays we discuss history, and do science (Bite Size Physics) and, occasionally, art. We do geography map work once or twice a week.

At the beginning of each week I put his assignments on Pageflakes. Pageflakes isn't always reliable, unfortunately.

DS was in PS 4th, but we're more or less doing things on a 5th grade level and will be following this schedule for the rest of this calendar year.

We are using:

History Odyssey Ancients, Level 2: M,W,F with daily reading time

R.E.A.L. Science- Chemistry: W, Th

Life of Fred- Fractions: M-F Ds usually does one lesson a day, sometimes 2. He will finish Singapore 4B and 5A after this book. We may also do LOF Decimals & Percents.

Spelling Workout E: M,T,Th,F Ds is covering 2 lessons a week.

CW-Aesop B: One unit a week, but only every other week or so.

Mindbenders: He finished A1 in 2 weeks. Moving on to Grid Perplexors soon.

Grammar: Right now, using some of KISS grammar, but may move on to Rod and Staff soon.

piano - 45 mins

Bible (Explorer's Discovery - Job/Psalms/Prov)- 30 mins

math (TT prealg) - 45 mins

Latin (Henle 1 or Cambridge 1, Famous Men of Rome) - 45 mins

writing (IEW SICC A) - 45 mins

Lunch

lit (PP guide) - 30 mins

science (PH Science Explorer - Earth's Waters) - 30 mins

english/spelling (R&S 5/Phonetic Zoo C) - 45 mins

history (Ancients) - 1 hour

spanish (Rosetta Stone) - 20 mins

Reading

tennis, piano lessons

Sometimes our schedule gets a little choppy ;) Everything I use is BJU except Bible and Reading. For Bible we are doing My Utmost for His Highest and Keys for Kids. Reading is my own curr. We read books as a family and discuss them. Right now we are reading Belles on Their Toes. It is the sequel to Cheaper by the Dozen.

Mondays--short days because I work part-time (as an elementary school librarian)

Bible

Math 30-45 mins 1 lesson

English 20-30 mins 1 lesson

Spelling/Vocab 20 mins Spelling pre-test, definitions

Outside classes Computer and PE each 45 mins

Reading in the Evening 30 mins

Tuesdays/Thursdays

Bible

Math 2 lessons

English 2 lessons

Spelling sentences that show you understand the definitions on Tuesday/ Spelling and Vocabulary 'test and Journal writing on Thursdays

History 30-45 mins or longer depending on the conversations we end up having on the topic :)

Science 30-45 mins or longer depending on if we do experiments that day

Reading 30-45 mins

We used to do Latin but have stopped and are picking it up in the summer

Wednesdays

Bible

Math 1 lesson

English 1 lesson

Spelling Reviewing words

History 1 lesson

Outside class-German

Reading

Fridays

Review anything that didn't click during the week

On 'perfect' days-Art and Music appreciation

Outside class-Art

Reading

spanish (Rosetta Stone) - 20 mins

Question: how do you like Rosetta Stone? What level are you doing and have you been doing it all school year? Thanks for any info. We did espanol para chicos y grandes last year (and also Senor Morris -- Elementary Spanish) but he didn't retain very much. He loves the computer so much that perhaps he would find Rosetta Stone fun.

(And for those of you on this board with good memories, I did trash-talk RS in the past, but I haven't seen the full program....:001_smile:)

Julie

Question: how do you like Rosetta Stone? What level are you doing and have you been doing it all school year? Thanks for any info. We did espanol para chicos y grandes last year (and also Senor Morris -- Elementary Spanish) but he didn't retain very much. He loves the computer so much that perhaps he would find Rosetta Stone fun.

(And for those of you on this board with good memories, I did trash-talk RS in the past, but I haven't seen the full program....:001_smile:)

Julie

Julie,

Unfortunately, we did not do it all year. We took a break this spring when we were working on preparing for the National Latin Exam. He's picked it back up again, hopefully he did not lose everything he learned. It was wonderful how we was starting to interject Spanish sentences into conversation.

We plan on following up RS with a traditional course in a year or two, so this is just laying the foundation for conversation and getting familiar with the sounds of the language.

Hope this answers some of your questions...I'm pm'ing you b/c I have some questions about some of the curricula you are using currently. :)