Menu

searching amazonand half.com for used books...

I have no idea. But I have ordered from abebooks.com which is the same idea as the used books on amazon. What I've done is searched for a book I want, then select one of the results and searched for other books under that seller.

I like your idea though! It would be easier to do it that way!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
UGH! I may as well buy new and get super saver shipping. SOTW without the library isn't cheap!

I've thought the same thing with paperbacks. If you pay $3.99 per item to ship, it doesn't make sense to me that I'm buying used when I can get new books and free shipping with Amazon's 4 for 3 offer. I have had some luck with Homeschool Classifieds and on the sale board here by looking for people selling lots that correlate to what I'm studying. So, even though I'm not using VP, MFW, TOG, Sonlight, etc., I can search and find people selling their books in bundles (ancient history, American history, etc.). You won't necessarily get all the exact titles recommended in the SOTW AG but you'll get a wide range of gems.

The only time it seems worth it to me to buy individual books through sellers is for more expensive hardbacks or out of print stuff.

Is there a way to put in 3 or 4 and see if one seller has them all so that I can save on shipping?

I think when I did it I save only $0.50 on shipping of the second item......I guess that's where they make their $$........

Super Saver Shipping takes FOREVER...

When you buy used at Amazon you don't get a discount for multiple items from the same seller--you pay $3.99 shipping for each book you purchase. I've never had a problem with Super Saver Shipping. It's always been pretty quick for us. I wonder if it depends on where the book is coming from and where it's going to?

At Abe Books you can sometimes save a lot on shipping on multiple items from the same seller. You have to check the shipping rates for each seller that you're interested in buying from. For example, one might charge $4 for the first book and $1.50 for each additional book. But another might charge $3 for the first book and $3 for each additional. So it'll depend on how many books you buy from each one.

When you buy used at Amazon you don't get a discount for multiple items from the same seller--you pay $3.99 shipping for each book you purchase. I've never had a problem with Super Saver Shipping. It's always been pretty quick for us. I wonder if it depends on where the book is coming from and where it's going to?

At Abe Books you can sometimes save a lot on shipping on multiple items from the same seller. You have to check the shipping rates for each seller that you're interested in buying from. For example, one might charge $4 for the first book and $1.50 for each additional book. But another might charge $3 for the first book and $3 for each additional. So it'll depend on how many books you buy from each one.

I totally agree - this has been my experience as well!

I just put a list of books in my shopping cart on half.com, and with shipping they were 186.00.

I put the same list of books in my cart in Amazon (using Super Saver Shipping) and they were 125.00.

I think I am just going to buy new - it's cheaper than paying so much for shipping!

Alibris also has combined shipping and a good selection of used books.

If you find some larger booksellers that you keep buying from, you might try calling them directly and seeing if they could get/hold certain things for you and consolidate shipping. They also sometimes have things on hand that they don't list online.

I have no idea. But I have ordered from abebooks.com which is the same idea as the used books on amazon. What I've done is searched for a book I want, then select one of the results and searched for other books under that seller.

I like your idea though! It would be easier to do it that way!

Me, too! Maybe if we all e-mail abebooks and Alibris over the next few weeks asking for such a feature, they will add one!

When you buy used at Amazon you don't get a discount for multiple items from the same seller--you pay $3.99 shipping for each book you purchase.

I also think this is true.

I once researched selling on Amazon, and I believe part of that $3.99 actually goes to Amazon and not to the seller. So I don't believe they are allowed to negotiate but can offer a low price to make up for it. I've seen some books on there for pennies. Of course, they're never the books *I* want :tongue_smilie:

I've almost always found Amazon to be the best buy. Even though some other places have cheaper prices, the shipping costs can add up quickly. Amazon 4 for 3 w/no tax and free shipping have saved me a bundle.
I don't see 4 for 3 on any of my books. I even have 4 and 8 dollar paperbacks. Am I missing something?

I am not sure how amazon.com determines which books qualify for the 4 for 3 promo. Also, my experience is that it's better to place several smaller orders when you qualify for free super saver shipping instead of one huge order. We did one huge order one time and the whole thing was held up for months because they were waiting for one book. Lesson learned.

Amy

I used Half.com last fall for my SL Core 3 books. I was able to get almost all of the books from about two, maybe 3 sellers. Most of the books were $.075 with a few for a dollar and change. The first book from each seller ships for $3.99 and the others are $1.89 shipping each. $0.75 + $1.89 is still cheaper than buying new or buying from my local used book store.

It depends how much the new book costs, and how much you can find the used book for. I was able to buy two of Charlotte Mason's books separately for about 75c each, plus around $5 shipping for both, which added up to less than buying the entire series new, since I didn't really want the whole series. I also bought a used Beatrix Potter collection - same stories, no matter how old the edition! - for much less than the new one, and it's in great condition. I've also found some nice out of print books.

However if it's cheap paperbacks, you may want to buy new. Or if it's for classics, try used book sales in person. There are plenty of copies of the classics floating around. After requesting a copy of "Miracles on Maple Hill" from the library to read about maple syrup making, I just discovered I already owned a copy ! I'd found it at a library book sale and forgot all about it.