Menu

What Science program for your 5th grader?

Guest aquiverfull

My daughter is currently in 4th and we've been doing Apologia elementary Astronomy. We plan to do Apologia Elementary Botany next year. The Apologia books have been a great hit around here.

Next year, I am trying to do Earth Science and Chemistry, since ds has had little of either. I'm shooting for starting this summer with Christian Kids Explore Earth/Space and R.E.A.L Science Chemistry after that.

I have the Science Explorers for Chemistry and just didn't care for them. I know a lot of people here love them, but I just found them to public school-y for me. I also didn't care for the experiments, because I know there are so many better ones out there. OTH, the built in questions, vocabulary and chapter reviews were nice too. The pages were colorful, which I liked, but I didn't feel they went into enough depth.

The Apologia books seem to be a hit here as well. We are using Zoology 2 Swimming Creatures of the 5th day and my girls are really enjoying it. We are also using the Lapbook CD to create a lapbook to go with it to make it even more interesting.

I think we will be sticking with Apologia for now.

We're using the Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way as a spine. He's also reading the Science of the Past series and Archimedes and the Door of Science and Galen and the Gateway to Medicine.

For hands-on stuff, we're doing activities from Ancient Science: 40 Time-travelling, World-exploring, History-making Activities for Kids.

We've also watched some Netflix DVDs (Secrets of Lost Empires, Ancient Discoveries, etc.) and done a few field trips.

It's been a pretty good year for science.