Menu

DD, age 13, needs a formal dress.

A Brazilian friend of DD's has invited her to a "sweet 15" birthday party. DD left the invitation at school, so I'm not sure what it is called in Portuguese.

DD has the response card -- it is like one you would see come with a wedding invitation -- engraved, formal, white, thick paper, about 6" x 5".

DD says she has to wear a formal dress to the party, which begins with a Mass at church and then moves to a rented hall (a place where one would have a wedding reception, for example).

Now what do I do? This is not in my budget at all. We are lucky to have enough money to pay for heat and food, already canceled the health insurance, and so forth.

This would insult the family big time if DD does not attend. I am not going to let DD wear an inappropriately informal dress -- nothing that does not fit the formal attire standard.

What kind of dress is a formal dress for a 13 year old girl? I don't even know what type of dress to look for.

Thanks,

RC

When is it? If you have time, maybe you can hit up the after-prom clearance. Can she borrow something from a friend, relative, or someone at church? As for what kind of dress, I don't know. I'm sorry, I'm not much help. I'll keep thinking.

I think it's called a quincenera. I don't spell well.

Check thrift stores.

Put a wanted ad on freecycle for a formal gown between sizes -- and --. Someone may be ready to get rid of a bridesmaid dress.

We are entering prom season. My local community center collects dresses and lets girls come in and "shop" for free. See if you have a program for this.

Call your sil, sister and best friend and see if they still have a bridesmaid dress or other formal.

Put feelers out for a dress to borrow at your activities, mention it at Bible study, put it on your facebook wall, tell your neighbor.

. . . for this sort of thing.

I don't know about yours, but my daughter was wearing regular adult sizes by age 13. So, we just hit the sale rack in the prom/special occasion dress department. We bought the dress she wore for her graduation party--which was originally priced at $200 for--$75.

I know that's probably still out of your range, but the point holds true.

You could also check thrift stores. They often have racks of formal dresses that people buy for an occasion and then wear just once.

In terms of what type of dress, I'd probably go for whatever your daughter feels comfortable in. And keep in mind that "formal" may well mean just "nice."

If this party is anything like the traditional Mexican Quinceanera, it's a huge deal. Very formal, very fancy. Think prom dresses.

Any good second-hand shops nearby? This is the time of year they pull out the formal gowns. I'm always amazed at the dresses at our Goodwill.

Penney's has lots of gowns right now, but you'd have to have a great coupon and maybe a sale to get a really low price. Most of what I saw were strapless, but they might have something else in there somewhere.

Does Burlington Coat Factory have outlets in your part of the country? They have flower girl/first communion gowns at more reasonable prices than you find elsewhere, so maybe their formal gowns are the same way. The return policy isn't very good, though, so you have to be sure of what you want.

I hope you figure something out! I'll pray that God will send you just the right dress at just the right price!

Thanks, you all. I will check out Salvation Army, sales, discount stores, and so forth. The party is on April 12, DD thinks (she left the invitation at school).

Oh man, I am soooo behind the times. I don't even know what formal dresses look like these days. I certainly didn't expect to need one for a 13 year old! My entire current fashion knowledge consists of knowing the stock at Aeropostale and American Eagle Outfitters. (Hollister is too dark, maze-like, and expensive for me to venture in there.)

Put it this way: I look at bread that costs $4 for one loaf, and remember when it cost $1 for four loaves.

I am stuck in the 70s and that was more years ago than I can count. I am a living anachronism. Everything about me is out-of-date. I remember when ballpoint pens became standard issue in my elementary school -- before that, we used fountain pens.

Yes, it's like the Quinceanera. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quincea%C3%B1era

I just realized DD will need to bring a gift. What would be suitable? We cannot give cash -- I'm stashing all the extra cash I can get my hands on for when the sky falls in -- probably in June.

We may not be able to afford to let DD go to this party. It's kind of ironic -- about 5 years ago, the mother of girl in whose honor this party is being given was my maid. Now she is a U.S. citizen who runs her own company and has employees, owns a house, single mother. I admire her very much.

Thank you very much for your help. As you can see, I desperately need it!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

What size is she? I have a black formal dress that I never wore. I bought it before I lost weight. It's long and has spaghetti straps. Worn with a shawl, I think it'd be appropriate. It's a 14. I'd be happy to mail it to you!

Oh my gosh, you are so generous. DD wears a size 8 or 9, though. I do appreciate your offer. You are a sweetheart.

RC

...do you have any friends or relatives w/ kids in a similar age or size range? Our dd borrowed a dress (semi-formal) for her first high school dance last fall. It was a terrific fit for her, and the perfect price for us.

I've attached a photo of a group of the kids who attended that function. These girls are 9th - 11th graders, so older than your dd, but I thought this might give you a sense of the range of styles going around today as far as formal wear is concerned (though you may prefer something with a little more coverage...;))

post-1401-13535082832512_thumb.jpg

Oh my gosh, you are so generous. DD wears a size 8 or 9, though. I do appreciate your offer. You are a sweetheart.

RC

That's a shame. I have a 4, purple full length from DD's cotillion that she'll never wear again. I was going to offer that.

Gift I have no idea!

Forgot to add that I found it at a second hand bridal salon - it's a bridemaid's dress.