Menu

Would reading LCC be useful if one doesn't plan to center studies around Latin?

I am so intriqued by this book, however, Latin has been a bit of a struggle for us. I plan to revisit it when my 10yo is 12 or 13 and look into taking an online course with a real instructor. Even at that though, it may only be for one or two years (unless she takes to it and wants to keep studying it!).

I am looking into having her begin learning either French or Spanish next year, if that makes any difference...

Can LCC be followed without having Latin at it's core? Or is that just defeating the entire purpose of LCC? :D

I really liked LCC despite the fact that I don't plan to be an LCC'er. :) We are doing latin though, and I plan to make it a priority (although not center) of our school. My oldest is working on Prima Latina and I'm just starting Henle in preparation for the later years. I'm not sure why I liked the book so much since I'm not really following it for schedule or schooling style - but I appreciate the author's writing and thoughts on school in general and when I need a boost on my dedication to latin I can always find it there.

The greatest thing I took away from LCC is the knowledge that I can focus on a few core subjects, using quality materials and give my children a great education without resorting to busy work.

Although Latin is an important part of my boys' education, it is not the center. Still, I found LCC to be a valuable resource.

I think that it can be very beneficial even if you don't plan to learn/teach Latin.

I love Drew's Scope & Sequence and while we don't follow it exactly, it has really helped me to focus on what I need to.

I recommend both LCC2 and TWTM to anyone considering homeschooling their children.

yes. It's worth reading.

yes, it could plausibly be adapted for use without Latin, but it would require more work in other areas. One of the ideas behind LCC is that Latin simplifies your curriculum because it provides so much - second language, classical studies, grammar, vocabulary, the western literary canon, and rigorous mental exercise (among others).

Some could argue it would defeat the purpose, but I think reading the book is a breath of fresh air when it comes to curriculum, and therefore worth your time even if you don't become latin-centered. It is classical, and refreshingly elegant in its simplicity.

I've just read it myself and found it to be very therapeutic! For me it was an antidote to feelings of being overwhelmed and not being able to see the forest for the trees, so to speak, in terms of what we're trying to accomplish overall. I'd definitely recommend reading it, and agree that it's a breath of fresh air in terms of simplifying things. Another reason not to hesitate to pick it up is that it's a fairly short read, certainly compared to TWTM. But though it is concise, it packs a powerful punch!

It makes a strong argument for centering one's studies around Latin, since, as others have explained, the study of Latin covers so many bases. But there are a lot of other useful things one could take away from it. I'm not sure to what degree we'll adopt such a serious study of Latin, let alone Greek, but some of the other useful, interesting and/or intriguing ideas I picked up were:

-- the idea of studying fewer, harder books in greater depth. The ideal is that by high school, a student is reading The Iliad, The Odyssey and The Aeneid in the original, but the concept could still apply to reading such classics in translation, as well as other challenging works such as Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc. The general idea is to dispense with assigning much of the well-loved but contemporary children's lit. as part of school work, so that Charlotte's Web and The Little House books would be saved for extra-curricular reading for pleasure.

-- the idea that grammar studies are covered by Latin, so that an ongoing study of English grammar is redundant.

-- the idea that science in the younger grades can be replaced by a relaxed foray into Nature Studies; Science, proper, is reserved for high school

Those are just a few of the ideas I took away; also interesting approaches to history (Classical and American concurrently), religious studies, modern languages (don't need 'em!), etc. There are tables that lay the overall course of study through the grades, and possible daily schedules.

It also gives a useful historical overview of classical education, and explains how the study of Latin and Greek trained the minds of the greatest thinkers and writers in history, up until 20th century educational reforms in which "dead languages" fell out of favor. It then covers the fairly recent reinvention of classical education in books such as TWTM, and positions itself as genuinely classical, vs. what is argued to be a "neoclassical" approach (inspired by Dorothy L.Sayers's ideas for a revival of classicism).

Finally, it's written from an overtly Christian perspective, but has a helpful appendix addressed to those of other persuasions, where it explains clearly how the religious aspects of the recommendations could be adjusted, while at the same time making a compelling argument for the necessity of religious studies in a well-rounded education.

I've just read it myself and found it to be very therapeutic! For me it was an antidote to feelings of being overwhelmed and not being able to see the forest for the trees, so to speak, in terms of what we're trying to accomplish overall. I'd definitely recommend reading it, and agree that it's a breath of fresh air in terms of simplifying things. Another reason not to hesitate to pick it up is that it's a fairly short read, certainly compared to TWTM. But though it is concise, it packs a powerful punch!

It makes a strong argument for centering one's studies around Latin, since, as others have explained, the study of Latin covers so many bases. But there are a lot of other useful things one could take away from it. I'm not sure to what degree we'll adopt such a serious study of Latin, let alone Greek, but some of the other useful, interesting and/or intriguing ideas I picked up were:

-- the idea of studying fewer, harder books in greater depth. The ideal is that by high school, a student is reading The Iliad, The Odyssey and The Aeneid in the original, but the concept could still apply to reading such classics in translation, as well as other challenging works such as Shakespeare, Chaucer, etc. The general idea is to dispense with assigning much of the well-loved but contemporary children's lit. as part of school work, so that Charlotte's Web and The Little House books would be saved for extra-curricular reading for pleasure.

-- the idea that grammar studies are covered by Latin, so that an ongoing study of English grammar is redundant.

-- the idea that science in the younger grades can be replaced by a relaxed foray into Nature Studies; Science, proper, is reserved for high school

Those are just a few of the ideas I took away; also interesting approaches to history (Classical and American concurrently), religious studies, modern languages (don't need 'em!), etc. There are tables that lay the overall course of study through the grades, and possible daily schedules.

It also gives a useful historical overview of classical education, and explains how the study of Latin and Greek trained the minds of the greatest thinkers and writers in history, up until 20th century educational reforms in which "dead languages" fell out of favor. It then covers the fairly recent reinvention of classical education in books such as TWTM, and positions itself as genuinely classical, vs. what is argued to be a "neoclassical" approach (inspired by Dorothy L.Sayers's ideas for a revival of classicism).

Finally, it's written from an overtly Christian perspective, but has a helpful appendix addressed to those of other persuasions, where it explains clearly how the religious aspects of the recommendations could be adjusted, while at the same time making a compelling argument for the necessity of religious studies in a well-rounded education.

Thank you SO much, Gillian! This was a wonderfully helpful review! I have to get this book! :D

Now.....I am so curious.....why are other languages unnecessary? Is it simply due to the fact Latin is learned so that is the foreign language, or is there a reason why all other languages shouldn't be learned? I was wondering if LCC would work if we used a different language at the center of it - or a few...like French, Greek, some Latin...maybe a few years of each....

Now.....I am so curious.....why are other languages unnecessary? Is it simply due to the fact Latin is learned so that is the foreign language, or is there a reason why all other languages shouldn't be learned? I was wondering if LCC would work if we used a different language at the center of it - or a few...like French, Greek, some Latin...maybe a few years of each....

Just to clarify: I never say not to study languages other than Latin. I say to give preference to Latin unless you have a pressing reason to study a modern foreign language first.

And no, it would not work as well to mix-and-match a variety of languages. The point of focusing on Latin and math is that these are cumulative subjects that must be studied systematically over many years to mastery. Part of the benefit derives from that slow-and-steady progress and the disciplined habits of mind that are required to master these subjects. Jumping around would defeat that purpose.

Jami already mentioned this, but the 2008 edition of the book has some significant changes based on user feedback. The underlying philosophy is the same, of course, but the organization of the subjects and quite a few of the recommendations are different, particularly for the upper grades. HTH! :)

The greatest thing I took away from LCC is the knowledge that I can focus on a few core subjects, using quality materials and give my children a great education without resorting to busy work.

Although Latin is an important part of my boys' education, it is not the center. Still, I found LCC to be a valuable resource.

:iagree:

Agreeing here. LCC is my new favorite book.:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, I would rec it, even if you don't want to center your education around Latin.

My personal title for the book is The Latin-Centered Curriculum or Would You Just Chill Out, Woman! :D

:iagree: :lol:

I love this. I am trying to simply my CM/ Sonlight ways. I am getting bogged down by too many books and my kids' narrations are poor because of it.

I just re-read this book and am going to "chill" myself and use 1 (eek, what a change!) book at a time. Many of their SL books are going to be for free reading in the afternoon and before bed.