Menu

Have you heard of this workbox system?

So this is what some mommas were talking about this morning.

One mom was saying that the thing she did not like was that books stick out of the boxes, and workbooks get bowed out.

That's why many are doing their own variations with things such as file folders, large envelopes, large ziplock bags, or the drawer towers.

Someone asked about the planning grid. We have only used the system one week and I have preschoolers (am using it to keep ME accountable) so we only do read-alouds, crafts, and fun activities, but to me the planning grid was one of the best parts. I sat down this past weekend with a copy of the grid (actually didn't like the version from the web so I redid mine in Excel so I could type it up and copy and paste repeat activities) and planned out what to put in each box each day. I have one large basket where I put all my resources for the week. Each night it takes me about 15 minutes to look at the grid and fill the boxes. I think my fill time would be less, but there are two days my sitter does a few of the boxes with the kids, so I write more detailed instructions on post-its for her. I LOVE the idea someone mentioned about using an art bag, a clay bag, etc. I could see that cutting my fill time down too.

Right now I am only filling one set. And after seeing how things went this week, I will probably cut our boxes down to 9. We haven't been getting through 12 with all the outside play and other play we do as well.

They have been awesome for us. My three-year-old was asking to "do school" at seven this morning as I was making breakfast.

Pam

Has anyone tried to plan a week's worth of assignments this way, instead of a daily schedule? A month ago we switched over to a weekly schedule, where the kids' check off what they do as they go. If we tried this, I'd like to set up a week of assignments at once, but I don't know if that would work.

I've done something similar to this, just to keep me and dd organized. I had no idea there was a whole movement around it!

I use this, and I put each subject in it. Dd has a daily assignment chart, so she knows what to do for each subject. I have a craft cabinet for all the art supplies, so she knows where to get those things. And, I have black drawers, because my living room furniture is black with cherry accents.

post-397-13535082836909_thumb.jpg

post-397-13535082836909_thumb.jpg

I've done something similar to this, just to keep me and dd organized. I had no idea there was a whole movement around it!

I use this, and I put each subject in it. Dd has a daily assignment chart, so she knows what to do for each subject. I have a craft cabinet for all the art supplies, so she knows where to get those things. And, I have black drawers, because my living room furniture is black with cherry accents.

Just think, you could have written a book, and made some $$$! :D

That looks really nice. Where did you get it?

Just think, you could have written a book, and made some $$$! :D

That looks really nice. Where did you get it?

I know, I know, yet ANOTHER missed million dollar opportunity! :banghead:

I got it at Target (but that picture is from the Walmart website). They often go on sale for $39.99.

Our house is so small, we have to homeschool in the living room. I like living rooms to look like living rooms, not school rooms, so I had to find something that didn't scream "HEY, WE HOMESCHOOL HERE!" :lol:

Nice! Are those bins big enough to hold notebooks/workbooks w/out them sticking out the top?

Thanks!

They do stick out a little if you stack them straight vertically. Otherwise, they could lean in the bin and not be seen from the top. These cubbies won't, however, hold binders standing up straight.

Just a FYI....

someone has started a yahoo group for this concept:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/workboxes/

Thought others might be interested in joining and seeing what others are doing.

Thanks for the link! I just ordered the book tonight & can't wait to get started! (I'm using a drawer-tower--I wanted things to lie flat too!).

Merry :-)

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who started using the Workbox system - are you still using it? Is it still working for you? Is there anything you would change about it?

I am an impulsive person, and soooo want to jump on the bandwagon and buy all the supplies and get everything set up, but I thought I should check in and see how people are still liking it first. :D

I think it has been three weeks that we have been using them. I am an impulsive person as well so I was a bit leery about this 'new discovery.' That is why I didn't use the system exactly as it is described in the book (I use ziploc bags.)

We love the workboxes! They are a resounding success! With the exception of the subjects that they do with me, my kids are able to do the bags independent, even my 6 yr old. The kids are occupied for our full learning time. My kids look forward every morning to see what is in their boxes for that day.

I was having problems in filling the boxes. It was taking me a long time to fill them every day. But I found a planning sheet that works amazingly well. With the use of the sheet and a little more organization, it isn't taking me that long at all to fill the boxes.

We are using work baskets after learning about the workboxes, and we LOVE it here. It's made school go so much more smoothly. Last weekend, I typed out a list of items that I have that can be used along with the stuff that we already do daily. We do Bible & history together in the morning.

Bible

My Father’s World Bible Reader

Child’s Story Bible

Faith Factor

Reproducibles Maps, Charts Timelines & Illustrations

Childrens’ Guide to the Bible (Robert Willoughby)

Spelling & Vocabulary

CVC Word puzzles (Scholastic)

File Folders:

Horseshoe Tossing (Final Consonants)

Melony Consonants (Initial Consonants)

Blended Jelly Beans (Consonant Blends)

Freshly Popped Vowels (Long & Short Vowels)

Snap together letter blocks

Leappad

Leap Frog games

Look up words in the dictionary

Silly Sentences

Boggle

I Can Spell words with 4 Letters Scholastic

I Can Spell Words with 3 Letters Scholastic

Painless Grammar

Nitty Gritty Grammar

Phonics Word Families book

Spelling 4 Letter words Scholastic

Spelling 3 Letter words Scholastic

Word Play (Dollar Tree madlibs)

Wrap & Learn Math Discovery Toys

www.starfall.com (Caleb)

High Frequency Word Bingo

Math, Time & Money Flashcards

Upwords

5-Minute Daily Practice Vocabulary

www.freerice.org (vocabulary & grammar)

Writing

IEW

Draw Write Now Books

75 Creative ways to Publish Students Writing

Read Write! Publish!

Teaching Elaboration & Word Choice

Math

Math Fact eggs

Continuo

Not Just a Math Game

Not Just a Money Game

Yahtzee

Exact Change

Racko

Telling Time book

Monopoly

Timez Attack

Science

Into the Forest

Not Just an Animal Game

Insects, Dover

Herbs Dover

Wright Bros. Dover

Insects Peterson

50 Favorite Birds Dover

Field Guide to Birds Dover

Great Inventors & Inventions Dover

Sketching Outdoors in Summer Jim Arnosky

Giant Science Resource Book

ZooBooks

Kids Discover

http://www.anatomyarcade.com/

Geography

Geography State Wrap Ups

Five State Rummy

Not Just a Geography Game

Scrambled States of America

Where is the USA is Carmen Sandiego?

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Great States Junior

Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide (try and use this some way)

Our 50 States

History

Lift-the-Flap Timelines American History

Lots of books

Crafts & Misc.

Kids Discover Magazine

Highlights Magazine

Pattern Blocks

You Can Draw Animals

Painting Fun

Draw Super Heros

Complete Book of Drawing Usborne

Origami

Starting Needle Craft

Pod Race Game (In a Star Wars Coloring book)

Flying Models

Airplanes

Twirled paper

Brain Quest 2nd Grade

Brain Quest 3rd Grade

Story of the Orchestra

Games

Battleship

Sorry

Book of Classic Board Games

Chess

Checkers

Clue

We are using work baskets after learning about the workboxes, and we LOVE it here. It's made school go so much more smoothly. Last weekend, I typed out a list of items that I have that can be used along with the stuff that we already do daily. We do Bible & history together in the morning.

Bible

My Father’s World Bible Reader

Child’s Story Bible

Faith Factor

Reproducibles Maps, Charts Timelines & Illustrations

Childrens’ Guide to the Bible (Robert Willoughby)

Spelling & Vocabulary

CVC Word puzzles (Scholastic)

File Folders:

Horseshoe Tossing (Final Consonants)

Melony Consonants (Initial Consonants)

Blended Jelly Beans (Consonant Blends)

Freshly Popped Vowels (Long & Short Vowels)

Snap together letter blocks

Leappad

Leap Frog games

Silly Sentences

Boggle

I Can Spell words with 4 Letters Scholastic

I Can Spell Words with 3 Letters Scholastic

Painless Grammar

Nitty Gritty Grammar

Phonics Word Families book

Spelling 4 Letter words Scholastic

Spelling 3 Letter words Scholastic

Word Play (Dollar Tree madlibs)

Wrap & Learn Math Discovery Toys

www.starfall.com (Caleb)

High Frequency Word Bingo

Math, Time & Money Flashcards

Upwords

5-Minute Daily Practice Vocabulary

www.freerice.org (vocabulary & grammar)

Writing

IEW

Draw Write Now Books

75 Creative ways to Publish Students Writing

Read Write! Publish!

Teaching Elaboration & Word Choice

Math

Math Fact eggs

Continuo

Not Just a Math Game

Not Just a Money Game

Yahtzee

Exact Change

Racko

Telling Time book

Monopoly

Timez Attack

Science

Into the Forest

Not Just an Animal Game

Insects, Dover

Herbs Dover

Wright Bros. Dover

Insects Peterson

50 Favorite Birds Dover

Field Guide to Birds Dover

Great Inventors & Inventions Dover

Sketching Outdoors in Summer Jim Arnosky

Giant Science Resource Book

ZooBooks

Kids Discover

http://www.anatomyarcade.com/

Geography

Geography State Wrap Ups

Five State Rummy

Not Just a Geography Game

Scrambled States of America

Where is the USA is Carmen Sandiego?

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Great States Junior

Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide (try and use this some way)

Our 50 States

History

Lift-the-Flap Timelines American History

Lots of books

Crafts & Misc.

Kids Discover Magazine

Highlights Magazine

Pattern Blocks

You Can Draw Animals

Painting Fun

Draw Super Heros

Complete Book of Drawing Usborne

Origami

Starting Needle Craft

Pod Race Game (In a Star Wars Coloring book)

Flying Models

Airplanes

Twirled paper

Brain Quest 2nd Grade

Brain Quest 3rd Grade

Story of the Orchestra

Games

Battleship

Sorry

Book of Classic Board Games

Chess

Checkers

Clue

Great list! Thank you!

We've been using this system for 2 or 3 weeks now, and we all love it!!!

I love the idea; I'm toying with some combination of open clear bins (for crafts and games and such) and tall magazine holders (for workbooks and stuff - I just know it would BUG me to have to flop big books in a bin that didn't fit!). Thanks for the feedback - I'm definitely going to have to buy the book and give this a try! :tongue_smilie:

Not being a person to do things halfway when I am enthused, I have read everything I can find about workboxes - including all 37 pages of the discussion over at FIAR!

I've decided to do what is pictured here:

http://ginger-snap-shots.blogspot.com/2009/02/workboxes.html

and dragged the family along to Walmart to stock up on some $10 Sterilite drawers. (I'm starting with 6 drawers per kid at the moment - I can always add more later, and my husband was already eying the basket full of drawers askence.)

Anyway, thanks again for those of you who have provided feedback and info about this. I'm so excited to get started! And I can't wait to actually get my book about this from Amazon! :D

We've been using them for 2-3 weeks now, and we are really liking them. It doesn't take me long at all to set them up. I go through our daily checklist and put the required books in the box, and supplies for whatever projects. And then I add a couple fun extras. It takes about 10-15 minutes, maybe, depending on how much hunting I have to do for project supplies.

I originally wanted to do this for the youngest (3 yo), who always wanted to do "school" while I worked with his sister, but anything I brought out (teddy bear counters, puzzles, etc.) was rejected. "Not dat! Sumfing else!" So I thought this would help him - if he wanted to do school that's what he had to do for the day. But it totally turned him off from school, so he's taken to playing while his sister works. (Fine by me - he's not asking me every five minutes what he can do, and I'd rather he play anyway.)

5 1/2 yo really likes the boxes. She likes seeing what needs to be done in the morning and in the afternoon, and she likes being able to choose the order in which she does things.

This is our 2nd week using them & it has worked well for us. It helps keep *me* more organized (a critical component, imo).

I didn't buy the workbox book, but did read pages of the thread here, the FIAR forum, and all the blog links people put up about them. Instead of buying anything, I wanted to try the system using milk crates that we had. I just line up their books or supplies in order they will need to do them (w/ a post-it on front listing what to do). If there are loose or multiple pieces, I'll put them in a large ziplock. If there's no 'item' (i.e., just a note to do PE w/ some laps, situps, & outdoor play time), I put a post it on a bright piece of cardstock that lists what they need to do.

Both dc have worked pretty complaint-free w/ this system. I think they like knowing (and seeing) how much they have to get done before they are on their own time for the day. Plus, they're enjoying the 'fun' stuff & some of the subjects that we've been able to fit in (like Mark Kistler's online drawing lessons).

For planning, I made a master list of all our subjects I want to cover & how often. If you're doing 12 boxes a day for the week, you have 60 boxes to fill. So, I created a list (numbered 1 to 60) of subjects we do each week, including their frequency. For example, we do math every day (#1-5 on the list), we do poetry/memorization work every day (#6-10), something fun like a craft or activity every day (#11-15), read-alouds four times a week (#16-19), etc.... I arranged my list from most frequent to least frequent times per week.

Next, I created a list for each day of the week w/ 12 numbers. I put math in the #1 spot on the list for every day, poetry was in the #2 spot for every day, a fun activity in the #3 spot every day, then read-aloud in the #4 spot of four of the days. I continued filling in for the week until I had spots filled for every day. I did a sheet like this for each child. This is my 'master' list of topics to cover that day of the week, but I can vary the order & some of the items w/in a category.

After that, I printed a weekly planner page from here:

http://heatherpreckel.blogspot.com/2009/03/workbox-planner.html

(click on the image of the planner page to open a .pdf file).

I pencil in the list for this week, varying the daily order of subjects. Because I have my 'master list' to refer to, it is pretty quick & easy to fill out this week's plan. Once the plan is put down, it's easy to use it as my reference each night when I refill our crates.

Also, I have a crate for myself where I put in any books or supplies that I will need for the day, such as read-aloud books, copies of the poetry they will be reciting, any sort of teacher guide or notes I'll need, ....

Stacia, thanks for the link to the planner page! I printed it out and it's helping a lot!

This is only our fourth Workbox day, but it is working like a charm! The kids love it, and I love feeling organized and that we're finally getting things done the way we should!

I've posted lots of pictures of the way we have it set up in drawers at our blog:

http://gwgumby.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps someone. :001_smile:

Stacia, thanks for the link to the planner page! I printed it out and it's helping a lot!

This is only our fourth Workbox day, but it is working like a charm! The kids love it, and I love feeling organized and that we're finally getting things done the way we should!

I've posted lots of pictures of the way we have it set up in drawers at our blog:

http://gwgumby.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps someone. :001_smile:

Maria,

That looks awesome! I am thinking about using those drawers too. I really want to be able to lie things flat. We've been using decorated cereal boxes because I didn't want to invest a lot of money at first. But it is working so well, I am planning to go all out with it. The cereal boxes are cute, but they aren't big enough to hold somethings and they are flimsy. Where did you get the drawers you are using? I've seen some, but not with 12 equal size drawers.

Thanks for posting!!

Thanks, Nakia! The drawers are actually 4 separate 3-drawer Sterilite containers from Wal-Mart. They were $10 each just last week. I LOVE the drawers and being able to lay things flat.

Let's see, if I were to add up the cost of this so far, it would look something like this:

4 containers at $10 each - $40

Laminator and sheets - $42

12' roll of Velcro (I have plenty left) - $12

Printer ink, cardstock - no idea, I already had it

Cute box I had from Hobby Lobby - $4

Organizer for folders and completed work - $19

It would have cost a lot less if I'd taken my stuff to be laminated at Mardel or something, but I really loved being able to sit and watch TV and do it at my leisure - plus now I have a laminator for future use! :D

• 1 month later...

We're still loving workboxes around here! I'm going to still do certain subjects throughout the summer, and it will be great for that. I think I'll take half the boxes away to emphasize the lighter load. :D

One thing I've started doing, now that the kids understand the system, is let them take turns loading the workboxes once in a while. Sure, there always needs to be math and such, but when it's their turn to fill the boxes, they get a lot more say in what they'll do that day. (My younger son had us doing a library trip, field trip, gym time, recess time, free time and Lego time all in a row after the academics!)