Menu

Should I give up trying to give them separate time?

My dds are 12 and 10. They share a room. They do some school together. They are together all the time. My younger dd is especially attached to her older sister. One time I had taken her out by herself and on the way home she was very quiet. Then she told me that she had 17 new things to tell her sister! She had been counting them in her head.

I had been taking just one girl to help me grocery shop since the baby was born and that was working well. But now I've hurt my back and I think I will need to take both to help me.

My dd10 only has one friend that is her friend. So I arranged for her to go over there this afternoon and the first thing she asks me is, "Can (sister) go too?" I said no since I hadn't arranged that. She asked me 2 more times!

For the most part, they get along well and share many interests. But I feel that they should have some separate time! What do you all think?

:lurk5:

Good question. My two boys are 3 and 5, and spend the overwhelming majority of their time together. They are the best of friends; however, when they are clearly annoying each other, and I separate them to play by themselves for a while, it's all of two minutes before they're begging to play together again. My mommy instict tells me they need time apart, even if they don't want it. I'd love to hear other's opinions...

My sister and I were close friends at 10 and 12 as well. Though we had separate rooms, my sister slept in my double bed with me every night anyway! Over the next two years, we grew apart as our interests and attitudes diverged. I wouldn't worry about separating them now--it will happen naturally if it needs to happen. Unless the older one is complaining about being smothered (this sometimes happened to me!) I would just smile and be happy that they like each other.

I agree. I see no reason to force a separation. If they need time apart, they will let you know it. It may happen soon, as older dd enters puberty, and (in many ways) leaves her little sister behind. They may come back together "on the other side", when little sis catches up on her growing up. But, they may not. Just let nature take it's course.

My boys turn 12 and 14 in a 2 weeks ( March 27th and 31st) and they have always been like that. They are finally doing youth things because my oldest wouldn't do it until younger one was old enough. They each have their own room but they both sleep the same one. They just switch rooms sometimes. They have always been close. The last year they were in ps they were 1st and 3rd grade and my oldest read so many books he got to pick a friend to go to eat pizza with at a local placeand he picked his brother!! They have also always had joint parties because they have the same friends and it is the same time. So I see nothing wrong with it!

Christine

My two girls, 9 and 5, are similarly inseparable.

I don't think it's a problem - I'm glad for them. They have someone there all the time to talk with and play with. I hope it's a relationship that lasts for their whole lives.

Your girls sound lovely.

They are probalby going to spend the majority of their adult lives apart.

I say let them share time and friendship all they want to while they have the luxury of doing it.

I wouldn't force them, but if they both want to? I'd be thrilled they have such a good bond.

I agree. I see no reason to force a separation. If they need time apart, they will let you know it. It may happen soon, as older dd enters puberty, and (in many ways) leaves her little sister behind. They may come back together "on the other side", when little sis catches up on her growing up. But, they may not. Just let nature take it's course.

That is exactly what is happening with my daughters. They are 14 and 11 now, but a year ago, the 11yo cried because she felt that big sister was growing up leaving her behind when dd14 wanted to do something alone, but I explained how it works. I told her that while big sister loves her and still spends time with her, she is growing up and wants to do some things alone or with other friends, and that it is OK. I explained that when dd11 started through that "growing-up time," they would be closer again.

Now that dd11 is starting into puberty, they are closer again. It is funny how it works. I did not force anything, but I make sure that dd14 knows how her sister feels and I remind her to give attention to her younger sister, making sure she is assured of not having been forgotten. It is lovely to see dd14 acting motherly to dd11. It is one of the joys of home schooling and seeing the kids enjoy each others' company.

Mary

I would say enjoy it! My 2 dd's are 12 and 11 and share a room, so they are together all the time too. However, they don't get along all the time. They have a "love/hate" relationship and I find myself wishing we had the space to give them each their own rooms, then I feel guilty for not being "content" with what God has given us. I think you have been very blessed with 2 daughters that get along so well!