Menu

Book A Week in 2009 Week 9

Tonight marks the end of 52 books week 8 and we begin week 9 and the start of book # 10.

The rules are simply

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to.

I'm just started Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton and think I'm going to make it my main book to read and keep going until done, rather than piece meal.

You can post a review here or at the 52 books in 52 weeks blog. There is also a weekly recap on the review blog of all the wtm posts so it is easy to find what every one has been reading.

Happy Reading.

I'm a lucky little chicken who received an order from amazon this week, so I've been reading through those. "G is for Googol" which I highly recommend, and a bunch of vegan cookbooks. I'm sitting down to write my menu now. It's going to be a tasty week.

:)

Rosie

Just finished Falling Leaves, The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter. Whew! What a compelling, heartrending, unforgettable book. No matter who you are or where you are from the basic need for love and approval from your family can really bless and/or curse your entire life. Small kindnesses to anyone can mean a great deal to them without your ever knowing. Also interesting glimpse into China/Hong Kong. Recommend this book.

Week 8: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

Week 7: The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff

Week 6: Shelf Life by Suzanne Stempek Shea

Week 5: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Week 4: Mosaic by Amy Grant

Week 3: The Faith Club by Idilby, Oliver and Warner

Week 2:The Body in the Kelp by Katherine Hall Page

Week 1: Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale by Gillian Gill

I had to go up to and back from Virginia again this past week, collecting my daughter for spring break. So, again, that's three days of reading time that magically disappeared. Hence, I'm counting another audiobook.

1. Bel Canto

2. In Cold Blood

3. Joy in the Morning, Sister Carrie

4. Sense and Sensibility

5. Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads

6. Before and After You Get Your Puppy

7. Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell

8. Larklight, Phillip Reeve

9. The Virgin Blue, Tracey Chevalier

I'm not sure what I think about this one. I enjoyed the historical details and the back-and-forth between the lives of two women in very different times. However, I found the climactic event very upsetting. I knew from early on in the book what was going to happen and then spent much of the rest dreading it. In the end, it wasn't as disturbing as I feared, mostly because the event itself was not graphically described. But it left a bad aftertaste for me.

I'm currently a little more than halfway through Q&A, the novel on which Slumdog Millionaire is based. And I'm also reading another book about dog training.

1. Twilight

2. New Moon

3. Eclipse

4. Breaking Dawn

5. Ink Heart

6. Eragon

7. The Shack

8. Interview with a Vampire

9. Outlander

I started Eldest and just got 200 pages in and could not finish. As much as I loved Eragon, Eldest just LOST me. Too much traveling and talking for my taste. :( I will catch up though. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

Since I last checked in:

Lark and Termite. Jayne Anne Phillips

Disquiet. Julia Leigh

American Sphinx. Joseph Ellis

Still in progress:

Losing Battles. Eudora Welty

Sputnik Caledonia. Andrew Crumey

Jesus, Interrupted. Bart Ehrman

Week 1: The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch

Week 2: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Week 3: The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch

Week 4: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

Week 5: The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Week 6: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Week 7: Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

Week 8: Paper Towns by John Green

Week 9: Eva Trout by Elizabeth Bowen

Blessings

Zoraida

I'm currently reading The Country Girls Trilogy by Edna O'Brien. Just finished The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

List to date:

1. The Girl Who Stopped Swimming – Joshilyn Jackson

2. The Genius – Jesse Kellerman

3. The End – Salvatore Scibona

4. The Diving Pool – Yoko Ogawa

5. The Man Who Was Thursday – G.K. Chesterton

6. Testimony – Anita Shreve

7. Blackout – Craig Boyko

8. The School of Essential Ingredients – Erica Bauermeister

9. The Country Girls Trilogy – Edna O’Brien (in progress)

I've been AWOL from this thread for a month, but have been reading all along. I'm still a book or so behind but should get caught up this weekend.

Thus far:

1. Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson's memoir)

2. The Man Who Loved China (biography of Joseph Neeham)

3. Jane and the Genius of the Place (historical fiction/mystery featuring Jane Austen!)

4. In the Footsteps of Ghengis Khan (travel book)

5. Vivaldi's Virgins (fluffy historical fiction set in Venice)

6. To See Every Bird (memoir about life with an OCD/birding father)

7. All My Edens (memoir by a local gardener)

8. A Short History of Nearly Everything (in progress!)

9. The Pluto Files (also in progress!)

I also am behind on writing reviews, but my earlier review can be found on my humble little blog http://jennwinsocal.blogspot.com/

It's been a terrible horrible no good very bad week. 1yods has been sick, I have been sick, and dh has been visiting 20yodd in the Philippines. No reading for me. At least I got ahead last week.

Today begins a new week, a new mantra...things will get better, things will get better, things will get better....

Since I last posted, I have read:

~Knowing Aslan, by Thomas Williams. An enjoyable quick read.

~The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I did NOT enjoy this book at all. In fact, it slowed my reading down because I was determined to finish it, but I was definitely doing a slow plow through it . . . I'm not sure if I can articulate why I didn't like it . . . The characters were weak, cowardly, unrealistic, selfish; it was a strange book that I'm not even sure it's worth the time to figure out why I disliked it so much . . .

~To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. This is a book I've put off reading for YEARS - simply no interest. Because we have a pass to attend a dramatic production of this story (which I just learned yesterday conflicts with a medical appointment set in stone), I thought I should familiarize myself with the book. I was VERY surprised that it was a page-turner! I couldn't put it down and found myself stealing moments anywhere I could just to keep reading it! Despite the very serious topic it deals with, the book is unassuming, funny, so precise in its descriptions as rendered by the child narrator that you many times instantly find similar ground to which to relate to some degree, and, more importantly, it has a conscience which is most notably portrayed through the lawyer-father.

~The Christmas Sweater, by Glenn Beck. I had requested this book at the library in December and finally got it Tuesday. I read it in one day. It definitely draws the reader in with its frank honesty and depth of real emotion. It is based on a true story from the author's childhood, which makes it all the more poignant - and wrenching. Without spoiling the outcome, I will say that I was disappointed with the ending - but not so much that I wouldn't read it again or recommend it to others. When concluding this story, it is important to keep turning pages because there are two short sections following that add to the story - and these sections are separated by his list of acknowledgements.

Nakia, I noticed you were reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. I will be interested in reading what you think about that book. I read it several years ago, so I don't remember the story line that well, but I do remember other thoughts I had . . .

Nakia, I noticed you were reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. I will be interested in reading what you think about that book. I read it several years ago, so I don't remember the story line that well, but I do remember other thoughts I had . . .

I loved The Secret Life of Bees so I thought I would give it a try. But when I got home and read the inside cover, I don't know.

I cannot remember what I read this week. Yikes! Calgon take me away! I did pre-read a book for dd and am almost done with the sequel to Pollyanna, [sequel-who knew]. I have also started a book on dinosaurs still existing written by a 14 year old boy. I am enjoying his passion and documentation. Not a bestseller, but.:)

My book this past week was Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I really liked this book but the ending puzzled me. I have Patchett's other books on my 'to read' list.

Next up is Real Education by Charles Murray. I am just about finished it so then I will move on to Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway.

Okay, I haven't been keeping up here or the blog or anywhere, but I HAVE been reading and so has my 8yo.

8yo --

Finished last week The Pearls of Lutra by Brian Jacques (a Redwall book), and is this week reading The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.

Me --

Finished Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan, an extremely graphic and yet mysteriously warm faery tale intended for young adults, featuring sexual abuse, Red Rose and Snow White. Starting M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman. It's a kid's book, and I swore I wouldn't do kidlit for the 52 in 52, but I have to figure out 11yo's curriculum for the rest of the year and make a huge life adjustment and bring him home again, surprise, this very week! So I'll be lucky if I even manage to preread M is for Magic for my 8yo, who is on a Gaiman spree and wanting to read this one as soon as I'll give my okay.

ETA -- I put up a blog post about it with all of our books from the last few weeks. My child has read 23 books! Yes, I am totally bragging. :-P

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

Guest Virginia Dawn

So far this year, I've read:

Historical Whodunits-an anthology

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson

The Riddle of Emily Dickinson- Rebecca Patterson (?)

Crash Proof- Peter Schiff

Fire, Burn- John Dickson Carr

Til Death Do Us Part-John Dickson Carr

Right now I'm reading The Call by John Hersey, and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.