Menu

on the fence about Classical Conversations

JennyL

First off, I am just learning about this program. From what I have read it sounds really interesting, something that I know my boys would enjoy. I am going to try and meet with a director next week and observe an open house. My hesitation is the price. It seems rather costly, considering you buy all of your materials. I had read on another thread that you could do this program at home. How is that possible, wouldn't you still have to pay for the entire program? As you can see I've got a lot more research to do before I make any decisions. I'd love your thoughts. Thank you,

Jenny

I'm on the fence, too. On the one hand, we really need something structured to help keep us on track and to be a good social outlet. On the other hand, it looks like A LOT of work. (I know, it's kind of a lame excuse). As far as the price goes, it seemed to me that it was only slightly more expensive than a semester of gymnastics (and more useful too, right?) I went to an info session in my area and the director said that if you are a tutor, it will pretty much pay for your kids participation. There's no way, I'd want to tutor for my very first time participating, though.

From what I can tell, you can buy the materials and use them on your own, and that would save you the cost of tuition. But for me, doing it by myself would defeat a lot of the purpose.

I'd love to hear others' input, too.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I think the price is reasonable considering what you get. Once you break it down per month, the price is similar to a few of my area co-ops. One huge benefit with CC is that you're not paying for fluff like a class about Legos or knitting (which has it's place in learning, of course). The investment for materials isn't huge and you can reuse many things in future years, like the time line cards, tin whistle, etc.

Usually one or two days before CC, I'm dragging my feet, wishing we were on our own schedule. Then in the middle of the class, when I see how much my little sponges are soaking up, I'm over the moon about it all.

This is my first year and I am a tutor, so it is definitely possible to tutor your first year. If tuition is a worry, tutoring is a great way to help offset those costs.

I, too, have been checking into CC. I was very excited, and already looking to purchase materials. I did a google on Classical Conversations review, and came up with a variety of informative opinions.

In our CC, there are no tutor positions available. And the price is a little hefty for me. Because of the price, I've decided we could do this as a co-op instead, tailoring it the way we want. Here's my plan FWIW (if I find like-minded people to join me!):

Everyone in the co-op can buy the Foundations manual which can be our guide to memory work and activities. It is my preference to limit memory work to the specific topic we're studying; so we'll study only year 2 history timeline, and only astronomy/earth science for the science. Each family can purchase the appropriate Veritas Press cards for the history memory work. The Foundations manual provides guidance (I think) for the math memory work, experiments, and fine arts. Since I have upper elementary kids, I would also like to do the IEW writing, specifically tying to our year 2, which would be IEW Medieval. I don't want to use their grammar program or Latin memory work, so we'll just leave that out.

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that as long as everyone purchases the manuals, there's nothing illegal or unethical about using their materials. (Essentials manual, however, can only be purchased if you are enrolled in the program.)

So, that's what I'm hoping to do. I'm just now putting feelers out for people who might want to join me.

Blessings!

Vanessa

My hesitation is the price. It seems rather costly, considering you buy all of your materials. Jenny

You really have to only purchase a "starter kit" once, and then you purchase maybe $75 or so...each year...for 3 years (since there are 3 cycles) and then you're really done.

Of course, like anything else..there's always something else that you can buy....but you don't have to....

Carrie:-)

I am doing pretty good at getting the basics done. I want some accountability for getting some of the extras done. Specifically:

memory work

Latin

art/music

I also like the way they do writing in the older grades.

I like the idea of having a community of like-minded homeschoolers.

I like that the tutors are paid. It's not as cheap as a true co-op, but I buy into the reasons that CC gives for having paid tutors. Plus, my personal responsibility is less. At this point in time, I don't want the responsibility of planning and teaching a classroom of co-op students.

I like that there is a plan. It's not just a random jumble of what someone thinks would be neat to offer. Each year is tied to the last and you know exactly what you will get out of it and what you need to provide on your own.

You can easily do it at home if you want to. I've been doing it for the last 4 or 5 years now, but I alter the material to suit my needs. All you need is the Foundations books and the VP cards. You'd spend some time each day learning the memory work. If you go to one of the CC programs, you will still need to spend some time each day doing the memory work at home.

When CC first came to my area about 5 years ago, I took my son to the classes a couple of times and wondered why I would want to spend half my day at a coop being introduced to memory work that I would then have to work on the rest of the week at home anyway. For me, the only reason I would want to do it is for social reasons or if I was unable to be disciplined enough to get it done without being in the group. But, I don't like participating in coops and would only do so if I really felt like something was being offered that I couldn't supply at home.

My comments are for the Foundations program. I have no idea what is involved with the upper levels.

Lisa

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that as long as everyone purchases the manuals, there's nothing illegal or unethical about using their materials.

So, that's what I'm hoping to do. I'm just now putting feelers out for people who might want to join me.

Absolutely correct. Though it does not state that everyone has to purchase their own Foundation Guide ;), it just states on page 58 that "You may not charge tuition or profit from our curriculum without purchasing a licensing agreement." And then in the next paragraph, "If you would like to direct a Foundations Program, whether it includes just a couple of families or a large group of families, and charge tuition for your services or the services of others, you must contact Classical Conversations, Inc. and receive permission to purchase a license." (Bold is my emphasis.)

And on page 20, "Most of the families using the Foundations Curriculum are in weekly programs. This book is primarily directed towards groups, but of course, any home school family may adapt the curriculum to their situation."

There are CC groups that do CC "unofficially" by not charging tuition fees. I met a group in the Raleigh area that does it that way. They have been together for over 3 years now. They even attend the CC information meetings in Ashville NC every year for updates. The families involved are committed to their weekly program but the directors and tutors do not profit from their fellowship families.

If I lived closer to this group, I would join them!

The only con you may have to watch out for in this situation is lack of committment from some families in a non paying group. They may consider it optional to show up or do the work since it is "free". You may just have to weed those families out.

My main concern with a paying group is the parent has no choice in the selection of tutors. The tutor (usually a homeschooling mom who want to offset her own child's enrollment costs) will make or break the program. You are committed to paying the full year even if you consider the tutor is not meeting the goals of the program.

Edited by Caledonia Academy

You really have to only purchase a "starter kit" once, and then you purchase maybe $75 or so...each year...for 3 years (since there are 3 cycles) and then you're really done.

Of course, like anything else..there's always something else that you can buy....but you don't have to....

Actually everyone is having to buy new guides again because there were so many errors and inconsistencies in the last guide. It's been a matter of some irritation in our group - understandably - since they sold people on the idea of the initial investment lasting for the full time in Foundations.

Heather

Actually everyone is having to buy new guides again because there were so many errors and inconsistencies in the last guide. It's been a matter of some irritation in our group - understandably - since they sold people on the idea of the initial investment lasting for the full time in Foundations.

You don't have to buy a new book. There is always the option of penciling the corrections in or printing the corrected/updated page(s) off of the website.

Heather

I've received my new book and don't see that it's necessary. If starting new, then yes, but if not, just the book I had before would be fine.

It has some mistakes, but it's not a huge deal. I took the info from the site and just made it the right font size and put it in my book with stick glue. It didn't take that long.

I know many in our group chose to buy new in hopes it would improve the consistency across the products. It's been hard to have the resource CD, the guide and the audio all have different information. But I guess there is no guarantee that will change with a new guide since now the new guide has changes that are not on the current audio. I found the inconsistencies to be excessive for a program that costs as much as it does.

Heather

Absolutely correct. Though it does not state that everyone has to purchase their own Foundation Guide ;), it just states on page 58 that "You may not charge tuition or profit from our curriculum without purchasing a licensing agreement." And then in the next paragraph, "If you would like to direct a Foundations Program, whether it includes just a couple of families or a large group of families, and charge tuition for your services or the services of others, you must contact Classical Conversations, Inc. and receive permission to purchase a license." (Bold is my emphasis.) ......clipped parts......

This is a legal question which isn't decided by CC. IF it was ever taken to court, this may not be the way books are able to be limited. You WOULD NOT be able to make copies of the book, but discussing it in public...and charging for the group...may not be able to be limited by the author. This would be an interesting question to see what works out....

The only con you may have to watch out for in this situation is lack of committment from some families in a non paying group. They may consider it optional to show up or do the work since it is "free". You may just have to weed those families out.

This is interesting, classes that you pay for are generally worth more to you....AND, I've offered that anyone who wants to do a working scholarship, should talk to me about it...

My main concern with a paying group is the parent has no choice in the selection of tutors. The tutor (usually a homeschooling mom who want to offset her own child's enrollment costs) will make or break the program. You are committed to paying the full year even if you consider the tutor is not meeting the goals of the program.

I suppose this is true, kinda like at any other situation where there is one person in charge of a group of "teachers". I don't hire tutors just so they can have their children in the program. I have 4 tutors and really they are just great! You watch them with their children and how they communicate...you see where their heart is...and then you offer lots of support during the day.... It's worked out GREAT for us.

I really think that the group is worth it. I spend a lot of time getting everything together. My children love the classes...and their tutors. It gives us time to fellowship... and we keep on track.

I hadn't thought about this but I bet CC can't restrict someone from having a CC group that they charge for if every member owns their own guide. I bet legally they can't prevent someone from charging for services, supplies etc. It's really no different than any other curriculum that people get together and use as a group. As long as no copyright laws are broken, which there wouldn't be if everyone owns their own guide, then you can discuss, practice etc together to your hearts content.

Heather

This is a legal question which isn't decided by CC. IF it was ever taken to court, this may not be the way books are able to be limited. You WOULD NOT be able to make copies of the book, but discussing it in public...and charging for the group...may not be able to be limited by the author. This would be an interesting question to see what works out....

I agree that that is a very interesting notion. One that I hadn't thought about. I, too, would be interested to see how that works out. But, on a side note, I did not mean to imply to make copies of the guide. If you have the audio cd and especially the powerpoint cd, you really don't need the foundations guide (except for science experiment list and tin whistle stuff). I hardly ever refer to mine. The director is really the only one that "needs" the guide.

Can you link me to the errata/replacement pages for the old foundations book? I cannot find it on the site.

I agree the fellowship can be great if you find the right group. I would re-join a group in a heartbeat if we were in with other like families. For example, the first group we were in, all the children got along great with each other. There were no queen bees or bullies. None of the parents tolerated any mistreatment amongst the children by the children. The second group (we moved) had a 7 year old "mean girl" who decided her established friends could not be friends with the new girl (my dd). Her mom happened to be the tutor to the older group so she was never around to witness the behavior. This little girl even tormented her own older sister yet came across as an angel to her mom and the director. She was very sneaky and conniving at concealing her little comments to dd and her sister. She even would result to violence (hitting and pushing dd) when no other parents were around. This girl was so good at it that the director could not catch her in the act so we left the group. It is a lot of money to spend to get in a situation like this.

This little girl even tormented her own older sister yet came across as an angel to her mom and the director. She was very sneaky and conniving at concealing her little comments to dd and her sister. She even would result to violence (hitting and pushing dd) when no other parents were around. This girl was so good at it that the director could not catch her in the act so we left the group. It is a lot of money to spend to get in a situation like this.

As a director, I hope this isn't a problem in my group. I don't know of it, if it is. I would take over the mom's class for the day so she could shadow her daughter and nip it in the bud. There's also nothing saying that her daughter would remain in that class. At our group, she would either be reassigned to another class...including her mom's...or shape up.

All children have the ability to be mean....but it shouldn't be tolerated. This year has been an incredible learning experience for me. The whole....you have two choices....1. Be nice (and let me see the other kids think you are being nice......) 2. Be in with your mom.... I would think that this would work great. No one wants to be moved...

Sounds like the Director didn't know what to do...It's hard to try to decide what to do with children... Leading is a learning experience...and one I haven't mastered yet... I'm working on being effective...(with my own kids, too!)

Carrie

I bought a new guide and received it already because we have at least 2 more full years in Foundations. As a tutor, it's worth it for me to use it that long and not worry about the corrections. A tutor friend of mine on our campus is not going to get one because she has only one full year left. Our director said she's work with those who keep the old guides to make sure they know all the corrections.

I agree that the Director and Tutors can make or break a program. That's why we've stuck with ours for three years even though I drive by two other campuses now when we go. I have a lot of confidence in our group.

I'll note though that from our years in Community Bible Study and another local co-op, that the story is the same with those too. My oldest had a teacher in Community Bible Study that constantly clashed with him and we finally had to transfer him to another class after never having a problem of the other seven years that we were involved with that. I also had problems in the co-op where my youngest was bullied and not a thing was done about it. It's more upsetting because CC costs more, but such problems are not unique to CC either.

And on the legal end of CC -- unlike other curriculum, there is a statement in the front of the guide that you can't charge unless you're licensed. YMMV...

And on the legal end of CC -- unlike other curriculum, there is a statement in the front of the guide that you can't charge unless you're licensed. YMMV...

Yup, you're right. It does say that...and it may pan out that way. BUT, what I was talking about is not what is said or requested...but what is legal. Just like a company who says you can resell a book.... They can say it...but that may not be what's legally enforceable.

I wouldn't do it for free....but I was just talking about what the legality of the situation might be. Just guessing:-)

As a participant, it's worth the $$$.

with a tutor/director being in it for the profit. It's not going to make you rich.

I would encourage you to join if you feel like the memory work is the missing piece in your classical homeschool. It was for me, 3 years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I also keep in mind that it was created by and run by people, who like me, aren't perfect.

.....I would encourage you to join if you feel like the memory work is the missing piece in your classical homeschool. .......

Yup, this is right, too! I had a mom telling me the other day that if it's just going to make more work for her and her kids...because she has to have them learn all this information...that she didn't want to do it.

I truly believe that if your children are learning...then they are memorizing! My children have the information in their little heads...and they can utilize what they've learned/memorized. The can bring it into conversation. ( I also try to make the information relevant.)

I have the Charlotte Mason system for memorizing information, and we will continually go through all 3 cycles...so that we get it to our long term memory....

Really, a system of memory doesn't make it harder to learn...it makes it easier.

with a tutor/director being in it for the profit. It's not going to make you rich.

I would encourage you to join if you feel like the memory work is the missing piece in your classical homeschool. It was for me, 3 years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I also keep in mind that it was created by and run by people, who like me, aren't perfect.

I don't think she meant they were in it for profit, I think she meant that many tutors don't tutor because they adore tutoring, they do it because the money they do make helps offset the costs of the program.

Heather

We have been with CC for 2 years & love it! There are many times were I wish that I were on my own, but I know that I need the accountability, and in the classes, my children (ds 5 & ds 4) get excited about learning the memory work.

There is a lot of material to cover, but you are are always free to pick the subjects that you would like to concentrate on. I love the emphasis at CC. They stress that as the parent, I am still the teacher. I've just partnered with a tutor. We have 5 different CC groups in my area. All but 2 were full this year! It's a wonderful program. It will keep you busy, but it keeps you focused on the memory work.

I know that the tutors AND directors for our local groups had to be interviewed by the state director, not just a local person. It wasn't just a "Please, we need a warm body in the classroom" type situation. One of my friends wanted to tutor and was not hired because of a reason that I thought was silly, but which was important to the state/national leadership.

I am in my second year of Classical Conversations and loving it! My kids really enjoy the program, too. It's great that you intend to go to an open house. I'm sure it will be very helpful to see a group in action! Attend an information meeting too so that you can get an overview of Classical Education, learn about the Foundations program AND listen to the vision of CC beyond Foundations! It may be helpful to hear about where your children will be headed if they were to participate through the junior high and high school years.

Classical Conversations has been a huge blessing to our family. The program does provide me with a layer of accountability that I would not have if I were doing it on my own. But more importantly, my children and I would be without the friendships if it were not for CC. I've been part of regular co-ops, and I must say that there is something special about meeting with other families who are studying some of the SAME things you are! The kids get to spend a whole morning with their classmates (or a whole day, if they're part of an Essentials Writing Class or a Challenge class).

I love the extra things our group does together such as field trips, occasional pizza parties at lunch, holiday gatherings, and mom's night out. Being part of a program is woth the extra money for our family because of all that we get out of it!

All that said, you can certainly do CC foundations on your own. Attend a parent practicum (which is FREE) and you'll be able to learn even more that what the book or website alone can offer. Classical Conversations strives to equip parents with tools to teach their children at home. The Foundations Guide provides a very nice outline of memory work, art projects relevant to history studies, classical music studies, etc.

Blessings to you as you decide about weather or not to participate in a program or do it on your own. If the cost of the program is an obstacle, I encourage you to talk to the Director of a program in your area.

Angela

My friend that was declined may have been applying for a challenge level position. Someone told me the requirements for that are different than for a tutor??????

Not minimizing the job of a Foundations tutor (I am one), but Foundations is focused on learning the "facts" of the grammar. Even with my talkative Masters' class, we don't go very deep at all because we truly spend only minutes on each subject. Sometimes my guys have questions about the content and want to debate the ideas (they are all 12 or almost 12 after all), but we really can't dwell there for long.

In Challenge they spend quite a bit more time on each subject, and if a single person is hired, they need to be able to handle them all. Sometimes two people will share the load. In our area, the majority of the Challenge Directors have kids that age or are "retired" homeschool moms.

My friend that was declined may have been applying for a challenge level position. Someone told me the requirements for that are different than for a tutor??????

Just wanted to make sure I didn't leave misleading information.

A Challenge Director/Tutor must have homeschooled or be homeschooling a child of that age.

A Challenge Director/Tutor must have homeschooled or be homeschooling a child of that age.

Really? My daughter was signed up for Challenge B this year (extremely long story but now she's only doing Logic with Challenge B and Latin with Challenge 1) but anyway - the Challenge B tutor's oldest kid is 10. Frankly it's been pretty obvious that she isn't familiar with the level of expectations that need to be required from a group of jr. highers. I do know she taught 6th grade in public school so maybe they gave her an exception but it's clear that they don't enforce this rule all the time - but they probably should. The Challenge 1 tutor has 3 high schoolers - it makes a HUGE difference.

Heather

That's not what the paperwork I just filled out says (that I can find anyway). And it isn't true for our group or for our state manager. :confused:

Our Challenge B tutor only has a pair of 6th graders but she has been a wonderful and dedicated tutor. But truly, I think she has been so successful because she communicates so well with the parents, shows such great dedication and has a GREAT attitude.

Also, imho, to tutor a Challenge you need a pretty good educational background or a workhorse ethic to help you get through all that material, lol. I feel thankful that I have already used much what CC uses!

I cannot suggest strongly enough that anyone interested check it out first to see for yourself if it might be a fit for you.;)

Georgia

Here's my $.02,

$ was a big stumbling block for me when I first learned about CC last July. My dh was out of work, and there was very little money. However, the math does work out that foundations is about the cost of a weekly music lesson. FWIW, I flunked out of college when my parents were paying, but when I had to fork over the money myself? I graduated Magna Cum Laude. For some the investment is a form of accountibility. That shouldn't be why you join a CC group, but $ also shouldn't be why you don't. KWIM? I am a tutor and honestly it has definitely helped, but it did not cover all the tuition. I would like to think I am a good tutor. I enjoy the children and am already looking forward to next year. This is in no way a get rich quick scheme.

Ultimately I looked at the pros and cons and decided that the pros outweighed the cons. No program is perfect, (remember people are involved so there is no chance it can be perfect), just like no church, no school, no town, no . . .

I think it provides a great way to incorporate memory work into a classical style of education that I was not really doing before. This is forcing me to.

Sorry for the rambling. Check out an open house and really talk to the parents. That way you can get a true idea of how the program is being run. But, don't just talk to one parent. They may be overly enthusiastic or complaining about it. You want to get an honest look at it. HTH in your decision making.

I didn't realize there was a tuition in addition to the amount spent on material. Could someone share with me how much tuition is?

Also, what do the moms do while the children are being tutored?

And, I have 2 little ones that would not want to be separated from me in childcare, can they stay with me?

Sara, I think you may be the tutor for the group I am close to. Would you mind answering some of these questions for me?

Thanks!

I didn't realize there was a tuition in addition to the amount spent on material. Could someone share with me how much tuition is?

And, I have 2 little ones that would not want to be separated from me in childcare, can they stay with me?

Sara, I think you may be the tutor for the group I am close to. Would you mind answering some of these questions for me?

Thanks!

$412 for ds. The moms are to help, though if they have younger children, they may have to be with them in another room.

Thanks!

The only children allowed to stay with mom are nursing babies. Young children that are not old enough for Foundations are expected to go in the nursery. On our campus there is a charge for that as well. Most campuses have supply fees and/or building fees too. Check with your particular campus.

Heather

Thanks!

Tuition for Foundations is $312 per child for 24 weeks. There is also a $50 registration fee and a supply fee of $50.

Moms are in the class. The structure of CC is that the tutors are trained in presenting material in a way consistent with classical education. They then model that for the parents each week in the classroom (along with leading the presentation, fine arts, and science components.) The parents go home equipped to lead their children in memorizing their material throughout the week.

Children three and younger are welcome to stay with mom in their sibling's class.

Thanks!

Another FYI is that in my area you have to pay full tuition for a four year old, even if you don't want them to participate. You are not allowed to leave with them either.

I don't *know* the exact age, but I would estimate that there was a 3 year old that hung out with mom. This was a pretty big room in a church, so younger kid had a spot over to one side. Mom brought a roll-crate with quiet toys and activities. Mom hovered back and forth, but mainly played with younger kiddo and talked with another mom. This was a room of kindergarteners, but the tutor and, maybe 2 helpers, had things under control so that EVERY mom wasn't needed.

In addition, there are a group of moms who didn't want to pay for childcare. So, they got together and they take turns watching each others' kids. I would assume that as long as the participating children weren't a handful, you wouldn't need to be in their class every week. Same as if you have more than 1 child in the program.

My dd turns 4 in September and I have been told that I can go either way with her. She can either hang out in the room with me, go to childcare, or do the class.

CC is coming to our area next year. We have an informational meeting this weekend. I have been on-line trying to find out all that I can. I also am on the fence. Our best year of homeschooling was the year that we did not take any outside co-op classes. My four ds' always remind me of this. The only reason I would do it...is because I will have a ninth grader next year and I like the accountability, although I was looking forward to doing great books with him. I always have grand ideas, but now it is harder to implement when they are all moving in different directions at different levels. I had them watch the videos on the site and they really do not want to do it....but I told them that dad and I will make the decision. I would be interested in hearing from someone who has participated for a few years.