Menu

When you get a cookbook from the library...

And there are a handful of recipes in it that you want to keep, but not enough to make it worthwhile to buy the whole book, what do you? Do you copy them down and return the book? Do you take it out every time you want to use the recipe. Do you buy the book no matter what?

I'm struggling with my ethics here. I think I may just buy the book, but was wondering how others deal with this.

TIA!

And there are a handful of recipes in it that you want to keep, but not enough to make it worthwhile to buy the whole book, what do you? Do you copy them down and return the book? Do you take it out every time you want to use the recipe. Do you buy the book no matter what?

I'm struggling with my ethics here. I think I may just buy the book, but was wondering how others deal with this.

TIA!

I once had a Mennonite cookbook from the library and copied selected recipes for my own use. I admit it. The temptation proved too much.

if it is just a few recipes, I copy them. I used to hand write the recipes out.( didn't feel like I was breaking copyright then)

Yes, when I wrote "copied" I meant handwrote them on my index cards for my recipe file. You mean, it's okay? I really didn't think too much about it until I read your post. Why would a library loan out cookbooks that have to be returned if you couldn't use one (or two) of their recipes?

Are you okay down and under with all the recent fires?

I once had a Mennonite cookbook from the library and copied selected recipes for my own use. I admit it. The temptation proved too much.

if it is just a few recipes, I copy them. I used to hand write the recipes out.( didn't feel like I was breaking copyright then)

*GASP!!!* :rant: What do you have to say for yourselves? :toetap05:

:lol: No, really, thanks for that. In this case, it's maybe 10 or so, which I'm not quite comfortable copying, but I also think I'll have more use for the book this summer when we're getting our CSA veggies. Now I just have to psych myself up to spend the $12. I don't think I've bought a book for myself at nearly full price in...a lot of years! I was mainly wondering because we've had some rollicking debates on similar issues, and as you said, it's a cookbook...from the library...meant to be used, etc.

And yes, how ARE you doing with the fires? I was reading some coverage the other day--so awful, so much devastation. It was gut wrenching. I can't imagine being there right now.

Edited by melissel

*GASP!!!* :rant: What do you have to say for yourselves? :toetap05:

:lol: I just have to psyche myself up to spend the $12. I don't think I've bought a book for myself at nearly full price in...a lot of years!

Check out Alibris.com or Abebooks.com or Addall.com and see what the absolute rock bottom price is you can get. Then ENJOY the book! :001_smile:

Check out Alibris.com or Abebooks.com or Addall.com and see what the absolute rock bottom price is you can get. Then ENJOY the book! :001_smile:

Ooh, thanks! I forgot about Alibris and didn't know the others. I will, and I will! I'm already making the glazed pecans tomorrow morning. (And, uh, oops! Lovely typo there in my quote. Gah! :lol:)

no fires right where I live. The closest big fire is about 200 km away. but you never know where a new one will pop up. there was a new fire that started in the outer suburbs of Melbourne last night. it burned over 150 acres, 1 house and a fire truck in a few hours. it is so incredibly dry. we haven't had rain for months. we live right in the bush. we have our house already prepared for a fire. the big problem is the lack of water.

I figure the library bought the book for it to be used. I confess I also photocopy cross stitch patterns out of library books.

No fires near me at the moment either. I nearly freaked out when I checked the CFA (Country Fire Authority) yesterday and saw the Murrindindi fire had 755 trucks attending.

Rosie

When I copy a recipe, I keep the reference information on the card so I can always give credit for it later if someone asks. As long as I use the recipe for personal purposes and am not selling it or misrepresenting it, I don't see it as any different than copying a passage for a research paper. Besides, I simply don't have room for dozens of cookbooks that I only keep for a few recipes each.

I also usually copy cross stitch patterns. I use the copy as my write on, keeping track of what I have done page. By the time I am finished with it, I have to throw it away.

Kind of a spin off of this issue...

When I was in culinary school one of my instructors told us (and honestly I'm not sure I totally believe this) that one can change three things in a recipe and then call it their own recipe. I don't know what was magical about "three", but that is what he swore was the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/03/AR2006010300316.html

Fair Use is a tricky thing. You're not supposed to copy a "significant" portion of something whether it's for personal use or not, and whether it's for educational use or not. The college I work for is constantly warning about this even for educational use, encouraging us to use online sources by providing the URL as much as possible for the students to use themselves versus making copies from websites or books.

It IS so hard to know! For example, several of the recipes I consider keepers here are very basic. For example, a five-grain breakfast porridge: The five grains are wheat berries, spelt, kamut, millet, and amaranth. You toast them in a pan or in the oven, then store them in an airtight container. When you're ready to use it, you measure out the amount, grind the toasted grains, and cook as you would any other porridge. So, if I copy that down, is it infringement? I could probably find that recipe elsewhere online. Same with the maple glazed pecans I just made--very basic. Fortunately, I've decided to buy the book because it turns out there are a lot of recipes I want to have on hand for this summer when we're getting our CSA box, but if there weren't... Tricky.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Oh, and since I love the book so much, I'll plug it here. I can't wait to try a bunch of these! My kids have already chowed down on the pecans (which they normally don't like), and I'm looking forward to having some new hot breakfast options.

Feeding the Whole Family: Cooking with Whole Foods

I always understoood it to mean that you couldn't copy the whole book, and of course you couldn't sell it. My girlfriend, who was a librarian, told me that as long as it wasn't complete you could copy as much as you wanted. That is what I have always done. My dh, who is big on not copying cds/tapes etc has never had a problem with this. I am in trouble here. I don't even copy SWB's activity pages out of her workbook. When I tutored other kids I made their parents purchase a separate workbook pages for each child.