Menu

Digging up bodies....

I was just reading the article on YAHOO news about the new mummy they just uncovered completely intact. While this is an amazing discovery (and rare) it made me wonder...isn't it a little disrespectful to dig up dead bodies?

I realize these are thousands of years old but what if, thousands of years from now, they dig up YOUR dead body, run tests on you, put you on display in a museum? etc...

Now obviously, they embalmed bodies much better than we do so the chances of this happening to us are slim but still...it just seems a little disrespectful to me. I mean, we can't just stroll on down to the local cemetery and dig up a dead body to study it...it is illegal. So is there a statute of limitations on this? If someone is dead longer than 1000 years, it is ok to dig them up?

You do come up with some thought-provoking questions! this is a good one.

Personally, I don't care what happens to my body after I'm dead, as by that time I'll be all done using it.

Going to a local cemetery and digging up a body could generate some health problems (for the person doing the digging, obviously), and it seems just plain gross.

I think respect for the dead is really respect for the living. I'm pretty sure the dead don't give two hoots. Depending on what one believes, the person has either ceased to exist and thus ceased to care, is too busy in some other realm to care much about an old shell, or has already moved on to a new body with a new life. Of course, there is also the belief that one will be reunited with one's body, and thus needs it intact for some future time. For those who believe that, respect for the dead body would be very important.

Guest Virginia Dawn
You do come up with some thought-provoking questions! this is a good one.

Personally, I don't care what happens to my body after I'm dead, as by that time I'll be all done using it.

Going to a local cemetery and digging up a body could generate some health problems (for the person doing the digging, obviously), and it seems just plain gross.

I think respect for the dead is really respect for the living. I'm pretty sure the dead don't give two hoots. Depending on what one believes, the person has either ceased to exist and thus ceased to care, is too busy in some other realm to care much about an old shell, or has already moved on to a new body with a new life. Of course, there is also the belief that one will be reunited with one's body, and thus needs it intact for some future time. For those who believe that, respect for the dead body would be very important.

:iagree:

I always wonder if it is possible to unleash 1000 yo viruses or bacteria on an unsuspecting world. That is the only question I have about ancient bodies.

I was watching a travel show about Egypt recently, and they showed tourists viewing the mummy case and treasures of Tutankhamen, and descending into the tombs. Knowing that the artwork and treasures, and the mummification, had religious significance to the ancient Egyptians, who believed the deceased would need all these things in the afterlife, it seemed disrespectful to see all the items on display, removed from the tomb. I don't believe as the ancient Egyptians do, yet it still struck me as sad and wrong to purposefully go against what their clear wishes were.

On the other hand, we learn so much about what they believed because of archeology. It's a double-edged sword.

Wendi

I just realized my post is in the wrong place! I was trying to say I agreed with the OP. Sorry.

Those are good questions I've pondered myself, Heather. I love archaeology and when I was a girl, I actually wanted to dig up pets we buried in our yard.:tongue_smilie: But excavating bodies can raise some ethical issues. Aside from those, though, I wanted to mention that there is such a thing as "green burial", and the options for such a burial are increasing. I am really excited that one such option now exists in my community. In fact, Washington state has 2 of the 11 certified green burial grounds in the country.

You can read more about green burial in this recent Seattle news article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/398178_greencemetery02.html.

I love this idea, because I don't support cremation but am equally resistant to elaborate, environmentally-unsound traditional burial.

Those are good questions I've pondered myself, Heather. I love archaeology and when I was a girl, I actually wanted to dig up pets we buried in our yard.:tongue_smilie: But excavating bodies can raise some ethical issues. Aside from those, though, I wanted to mention that there is such a thing as "green burial", and the options for such a burial are increasing. I am really excited that one such option now exists in my community. In fact, Washington state has 2 of the 11 certified green burial grounds in the country.

I love this idea, because I don't support cremation but am equally resistant to elaborate, environmentally-unsound traditional burial.

This is already in my parents will and burial plans. Shoot- there's a book all about home burials and having family preparing the body for burial instead of sending it out, but I don't remember the name. That's what they are having done.

I think the ancients would be glad to have their legacy's discovered. That was what they wanted in many was, to be remembered.

OK, now that is a great idea! I have never heard of it and I love it!!!!

there are many natives of places such as egypt that do protest these things for the very reasons given.

they just don't carry as much weight witht heir gov't officials as tourist dollars

also, I think there's some difference in some situations too.

I mean, if you are digging into a pyramid, you KNOW you are basicly grave robbing.

But then there's the many other situations:

the what's that weird shaped hill over there or things that turn up while putting in your pool?

that doesn't seem like grave robbing to me. they don't even know if it's a grave or something like pompeii when they stumble across it or war remains of some ravaged village from long ago.

so I guess it bothers me at least a bit when they KNOW they are grave robbing, but I'm less bothered than intrigued by the other many situations that things are discovered and dug up.

I too, am enjoying your interesting questions!:)

Well, as part of your studies at school, you might want to look into the Christian practices regarding the digging up of bodies. I remember when Pope John Paul II was buried, they talked quite a bit about why he was buried in three coffins, and each one had a brass plate with his name on it, so that later on when they "dig up his body" to see if it has remained incorrupt (one of the markers of a saint--there is a TON of written history on this), they will be sure to know that it is indeed his body.

If you want to do research on this, look up "relics" as part of your search.

agree.

intent does play a factor.

church folks digging up a body for religious reasons is entirely different from digging up a body to sell for example.

In Germany you essentially rent a plot. Part of the fees cover maintainance for the duration (plots are typically bounded by a low border and then individually planted). I think that a typical term runs about 75 years. At the end of that period, someone either pays for the plot again (as in the case of a family plot with multiple burials) or the remains are removed. (I don't know exactly what happens to the remains). The custom makes sense when you think in terms of small church yards that could never hold centuries of burials. If the family is still in town, then they move the headstone to another family plot or keep the old plot going.

We found this very frustrating when doing family history research. Instead of having cemeteries with 150 year old headstones, we found mostly recent headstones. We actually found one cemetary with a giant pile of removed headstones out back. I took a picture of it just because I knew Americans would find it so odd.

I'm so happy to see this! It just make so much sense. The only negative I see is that there isn't a dedicated place (headstone) for the family members to visit to remember their loved ones. I, personally, don't have a problem with that especially considering how mobile our population is - I'll probably be buried far from where my kids end up living - but in talking with various relatives, I think some people would have issues with that. I hope more communities will follow this lead.

hmm, seems there's a better solution...

maybe they could bury the bodies further down?

that way instead of removing the dead, they could just bury the next person on top? many couples choose to do this here because plots are so expensive.

maybe instead of all those wasted headstones, they could add the names as they are added to the plot to just one headstone that way family can still visit and history is preserved some too?

just thinking out loud here...

If the decrepit shell that I once inhabited is that interesting and amazing and of historical value, what do I care?

I'm sure this is dependent on one's religious beliefs, but I think the true nature of a person is contained in their soul and *they* are no longer in that body. It's used to do our work here on earth and then we go on to glory (or...LOL) and no longer need it.

I was watching a travel show about Egypt recently, and they showed tourists viewing the mummy case and treasures of Tutankhamen, and descending into the tombs. Knowing that the artwork and treasures, and the mummification, had religious significance to the ancient Egyptians, who believed the deceased would need all these things in the afterlife, it seemed disrespectful to see all the items on display, removed from the tomb. I don't believe as the ancient Egyptians do, yet it still struck me as sad and wrong to purposefully go against what their clear wishes were.

On the other hand, we learn so much about what they believed because of archeology. It's a double-edged sword.

:iagree:, esp. that it is a double-edged sword.

I love archaeology & find it fascinating. I went to the King Tut exhibit & enjoyed it. However, when I saw the finger & toe covers that had been on his body, the 'invasion' of privacy of it all slapped me in the face. It just seemed so personal, then, when I saw it. It was a very odd feeling to me to see such a personal item displayed in a case (vs. still being on him). It actually sent a shiver down my spine.

Imo, it's hard to reconcile the two sides (the original person or culture considered it an invasion of privacy or disturbing to the afterlife to bother the body vs. the quest for knowledge/study of ancient humans). I guess it's the respect for that culture or person's beliefs vs. the knowledge for future generations. It's a very interesting question & highly debatable for both sides.

While I like the idea of a green burial (because I think all the coffins and cement and hoopla is just a money making racket), I hate the idea of the body of someone I loved being eaten by bugs. It would torment me after they were gone. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from imagining worms and bugs. It's just horrible to me.

Soooo, I'm for cremation all the way.

Actually, if I had my druthers, I'd like me and my families bodies to be burned on a pyre or on a boat in a lake. But I don't think that's legal. But it would be cheap and environmentally safe.

Aside from those, though, I wanted to mention that there is such a thing as "green burial", and the options for such a burial are increasing.

This made me think of when we went to visit Charlestowne Landing (in Charleston, SC) a couple of years ago. There was an area that was marked, saying that archaeologists had worked in that area in the 1970s, thinking they were finding a storeroom, or small living area, etc... based on some items found there (bowls, glass containers, etc...). As they excavated more, they realized that it had been a slave burial ground (no markers) and that they items they were finding were things left (probably) by family members in honor of the dead or for the dead to use in the next life. Once they realized they had broached a burial ground, (I think) they tried to put things back as found & left it as an 'untouched' place. Today, it is a grassy expanse on the grounds & there is a sign telling the history I mentioned.

I thought that was a fascinating piece of history to learn. Just an aside to this whole conversation, lol....