Menu

What are you giving up personally for homeschooling?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we're all sacrificing. Of course there are other things I'd do if I didn't educate my children at home, just as there are other things I'd do if I didn't have children at all. But I wouldn't say I'm "sacrificing" simply by being a parent; likewise, I'm not "sacrificing" by homeschooling. It's just the choice I'm making.

Wow, I wish I didn't view homeschooling as a sacrifice! That would be wonderful to be doing it purely because I love it. Of course there are elements about homeschooling that I enjoy, but overall I really am staying home and homeschooling for my children, not for me. If it were the same for them either way, I'd be working full-time. It's a significant financial sacrifice for our family for me to not work. We sacrifice materially every day so that we can homeschool our children. And personally it's a sacrifice for me as well, because though I try to find contentment in the situation as much as possible, my personality is one that would thrive on being in the workplace, and from more alone adult time.

The things that I might have given up, were actually given up before I had my kid. When I got married, I completely dropped out of academia. I was an assistant prof at the time and headed in a good direction.

So what? I wasn't happy. I liked teaching and the students, but that was only a tiny fraction of my "job." I hated university politics. It permeates everything. :glare:

I still work, albeit in a very different realm. Could I be working full-time at my nice, cool job right now? Sure. Do I want to be? No. My department is fine with that, too.

I actually consider that it would too much of a sacrifice to send ds to school. I do not want to be a slave to ps schedules, fundraisers and mandates.

I am serious! We are all sacrificing, but what would you be doing if you were not homeschooling-

Let's dream a little!

Hm. I was going to say, "travel," but then I realised that if the kids were in school we'd be even more glued to this spot. That's what I'd be doing if I had no children-- touring, promoting books, or hanging at home installing improvements around my yurt and booking the tours. DP doesn't want to tour 'cause we have little ones at home, and it's crazy expensive to take them with you. Uh... with kids in school... I guess I'd be running our eBay business instead of my partner. HIS life would be a heck of a lot better. He'd be writing full time and I'd be holding down the day job. This is the better deal for me, homeschooling. Definitely not the better deal for him.

If I were working, we would probably triple our income (after a little on-the-job-training).

OR

We'd be even poorer because I would have enrolled in med school and we'd be paying off those loans now with the meager income of a clinic doc that takes cash only (no insurance) and pays high insurance because she makes house calls. ;)

I told my dh we had to homeschool because I would be spending so much time at the kids' schools keeping on top of their educations that homeschooling actually saves everyone time and some poor teachers a great deal of aggravation. LOL

Honestly, nothing. I have no desire to live the other life. I hated working full time and dealing with office politics. It wasn't worth the money and that which extra money can buy. If I stayed home but my kids still went to school, I'd be bored and lonely while they were gone. I'm too much an extrovert to enjoy an empty, quiet house.

You used the words "giving up" rather than the word "sacrificing". That was a good word choice, if you ask me.

To do any one thing means you aren't doing another, so it is "given up". But sacrifice implies that you would rather be doing something else...which isn't what you said.

You're right, of course. Choosing any one thing over another means giving up this in order to do that. In my earlier post, I was responding to the original poster's statement that we're all sacrificing (her word) something. Just wanted to clarify.

Wow, I wish I didn't view homeschooling as a sacrifice! That would be wonderful to be doing it purely because I love it.

I'm not doing it purely because I love it. There are things about it that I love and things I don't love ~ as is the case with just about anything in life. But the fact that I choose to do this doesn't mean I view it as a sacrifice, if that makes sense.:)

I was working part-time for the past 7 years two days a week and two nights on the weekend. But my 95 year old client passed away in November. So for us it is has been a sacrifice of me working full time, we don't eat out a lot, and it means that I don't get a chance to get my hair done as often, nor do I but clothes for myself nearly as much as I did when I worked full time. To be honest, it is not a sacrifice, but an investment. But it is well worth the time that I get to spend with my children. Of course I have my good days and my not so good days, but God continues to bless us.

Edited by sgmaddox

I sacrificed my career as a waitress in a catfish restaurant to be home with my children.

Maybe when my husband retires I can return to that career.

Or maybe not.;)

No sacrifice here. This is hands down the best gig I have ever had.

Haha! Me too! Minus the catfish. I wish I could drop my part time WAH gig (which is as a doula/lactation consultant/speaker) to do this full time. I'm never as happy as when I am schooling or planning schooling things. I just love it!

When they are grown and gone I'll enjoy the lactation work more, it's just now, my heart is more with my kids then the "career"

To be totally honest I feel that all I've given up to homeschool is a lot of lonely days and headaches. I hated sending my oldest off on a bus to kindergarten and I hated driving him back and forth to 1st grade when he was there.

I gave up a feeling of not being able to accomplish all I wanted for my family because we were slaves to the schools schedule. My oldest son would say he gave up having strep throat every month.

I'm not doing it purely because I love it. There are things about it that I love and things I don't love ~ as is the case with just about anything in life. But the fact that I choose to do this doesn't mean I view it as a sacrifice, if that makes sense.:)

Hmm, I'm not sure I totally get what you mean. That's okay though. I wasn't trying to pick at you. I just posted under yours because you had mentioned that you didn't view homeschooling as a sacrifice for you. For me, giving up things that I personally enjoy and value for another's benefit is sacrificial. It's sacrificial for me to help in our church's toddler Sunday School class, for example. If it were totally up to my own pleasure, I would love to be in one of the adult classes learning myself. But I am willing to give that up to be a blessing to those little ones and their parents. It doesn't mean I *dislike* what I'm doing, and I am blessed by doing it, but it would not be the easiest and/or most comfortable route. Same for homeschooling, for me. I try not to dwell on that thought, but when asked, I can't deny that I do give up things to be able to homeschool.

Peace and Quiet. I do like silence and I get precious little of it.

Time to learn tennis or play golf.

Time to go to University and get a degree as I had planned to do when all the children were in school.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not unhappy as I made those choices willingly. But I am still missing out on those things.

What are you giving up personally for homeschooling?

I have worked full time while having young children, and later on I was fortunate enough to homeschool full time. In my experience, schooling at home was a luxury compared to working all day in an office and then coming home to squeeze in family time and housework. So I did not feel I was sacrificing anything.

Even while homeschooling full time, I worked a little off and on throughout the year. Just enough to keep current in my profession.

Last year with an attention loving 2 year old and one K student, I was not sacrificing anything, in fact, I was gaining time. This year with an attention loving 3 year old and a 1st grader, the time about equals out, but I really enjoy teaching and planning what and how to teach, and my children enjoy playing together, so we're still ahead.

It's a great option for us as a Christian family that moves often, we are very thankful we have the opportunity to homeschool.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we're all sacrificing. Of course there are other things I'd do if I didn't educate my children at home, just as there are other things I'd do if I didn't have children at all. But I wouldn't say I'm "sacrificing" simply by being a parent; likewise, I'm not "sacrificing" by homeschooling. It's just the choice I'm making.

I love this, Colleen, and am in the same boat with you. This is a choice we are making because we want to do it. In my mind it is a privilege and not a sacrifice. :001_smile: