Menu

Doesn't anyone use Writing Strands?

Lovedtodeath

I have used it for years and like it fine for what it does. It is mentioned as the main (I think) suggested writing program in TWTM. But it isn't necessarily the most well like program out there. We use it for learning the technical skills of writing, the terminology etc. but also use other programs to become a 'good' writer. A lot of people don't like it because it is very specific about what you will be writing the particular assignment about and it doesn't provide a ton of teacher support or direction, just guidelines on what to tell them to write about and some general support regarding problems they might have, no detail on how to do it well. It works for what it is - just a basic writing program covering skills of writing. Most either like it or hate it I think.

As I read over this it seemed a little negative. We like WS fine - it is the only official "writing program" my oldest ever wanted to use. She is about to graduate with a journalism degree and has always done well in college with her writing, so it does work. It has also been around for at least 20 years so is just kind of settled in, not the latest and greatest.

Edited by jcooperetc

I use it and like it.

Oldest has used book 3, 4 and is in 5. planning book 6 next year.

Middle in book 3.

I don't like to use it before 4th grade year.

I like that it is set up as a coaching program for writing. It is written toward the student, but in the early years it is about coaching the child with that "guided script" instead of just hand it over. It assumes that you help your child with the writing process. Even the IEW guy teaches that it's ok to help kids.

Instead of just assigning a 5 paragraph report, you work with your child to write about a room in your house in a very organized fashion. But that's one assignment in book 3 of WS that people hate (exercise 7). That exercise covers a lot of skills: you help your child to observe and record information and then present it in a very organized fashion.

Overall I find WS to be the "karate kid" of writing programs. You know the original movie? Wax On, Wax Off, sand the floor, paint the fence. Daniel didn't want to do that, but it was teaching him skills for later. Writing Strands is like that. You are teaching skills to be able to put it together.

working over here. I'm glad I waited to start it around 4th grade so that my kids had several years of oral composition, written copywork and dictation as a foundation before formal writing.

oh, the other "talked about" exercise is from WS book 4, exercise 1. It's a little odd. I just had my child revise the long sentence. I liked the goals of the lesson, so I ignored the parts that were awkward. But then again, even the IEW guy talks that in the beginning of learning how to write, children will produce awkward stuff. I just think most people don't like that one sentence in that exercise because as adults we wished it were a perfect model to follow instead of being that awkward first try.

just one opinion and my experiences.

I'm guessing there is less talk about WS now that WWE is on the market.

-crystal

I have used it for years and like it fine for what it does. It is mentioned as the main (I think) suggested writing program in TWTM. But it isn't necessarily the most well like program out there. We use it for learning the technical skills of writing, the terminology etc. but use other programs to become a good writer. A lot of people don't like it because it is very specific about what you will be writing the particular assignment about and it doesn't provide a ton of teacher support or direction, just guidelines on what to tell them to write about and some general support regarding problems they might have, no detail on how to do it well. It works for what it is - just a basic writing program covering skills of writing. Most either like it or hate it I think.

:iagree:

ditto

I used it for several years with my oldest, I will be starting my youngest back on it soon. We also use other programs too, but I like how it gets the basics in. It is not an exciting program, and some children may find it way to dry and boring. I personally like Daily Grams better.

Edited by Mom2GirlsTX

We're using book 4 this year with a 5th grader and like it. It seems to work so far. It is rather uninspiring honestly, but we just haven't explored other options. We like it enough (and are seeing enough progress) that we're on to book 5 next year.

FWIW though, my 5th grade dd is the one who almost never complains about any school or curriculum we use. My others are pickier and I'm not sure if it will be a fit for them or not.

We use and like it. I have found that it builds a nice foundation for discussing great books later. It is easy to use. We like it for what it isn't as well as for what it is. It doesn't teach "style"; my children would hate someone correcting their carefully chosen wording. My older one did 3-7 and community college composition, and my younger one is in 7 now.

It's working really well with my Aspie. He does often use a sense of humour when doing his assignments. But, I'm just so happy he is finally writing with his hands and a pencil.

He is going to be doing Grammar this upcoming year. So, I don't know if we will continue. He will probably use Rod and Staff 5 and that has writing exercises in it.

I'm using WS 3 with my DD. She is enjoying it. It took us a bit to get used to the author's writing style and sometimes I still have to explain to my DD that the guy is just fooling around. She doesn't appreciate his style BUT we are learning alot.

We use it and like it. I've also used IEW and think it's good too.

I found a copy of WS3 on paperbackswap and picked it up out of curiosity. I realized that my 3rd and 4th graders needed some help with the basic mechanics of writing, and they are benefiting from the lessons involving building complex sentences and paragraph organization. I do like the stylistic techniques and dress ups of IEW, though, and I suspect we'll use parts of both programs over the long haul.