Menu

WWYD? E-mail Saluation to a PhD doctor

I have been corresponding via e-mail to work out appointments with a family member with a doctor who has a PhD. I've never met her, but my dh has talked with her by phone and I have heard her on voice mail. She sounds professional and very friendly.

When she has sent me an e-mail (3 times now), she starts it out Hi Sue, but signs it Jane S. Doe, PhD.

Would you respond back with Hi Jane or Hi Dr. Doe?

Personally I would put Dr. Doe, too, but I think it is a little strange that she addresses you by your first name, but signs it with full title. Maybe she isn't typing her signature, but filling it in automatically?

I have a PhD, and if I sent someone a "friendly" email using their first name, I would expect them to respond with my first name. However, many people are touchy on the subject of titles, therefore I personally tend to be formal unless totally certain.

Is it possible that the Jane Doe, Ph.D is part of her email siggy, not something she actually types in herself? Maybe it automatically appears as part of her email stationery. I would think if someone's calling you Sue, you can call them Jane.

When she leaves a voice mail, does she identify herself as Jane or Dr. Doe?

Is it possible that the Jane Doe, Ph.D is part of her email siggy, not something she actually types in herself? Maybe it automatically appears as part of her email stationery. I would think if someone's calling you Sue, you can call them Jane.

When she leaves a voice mail, does she identify herself as Jane or Dr. Doe?

I'd betcha anything it's her signature, and she'd be fine with you calling her by her first name, since she's calling you by yours.

Jane. Unless you are Mrs Evergreen State (and you're not).

Mr Bill

Hey, my neighbor's name is Mr. Bill. Of course, to my children all adults are Mr or Mrs first name. But our neighbor is Mr. Bill to all of the adults as well, being as he is old enough to be all of our parents. We gave him a Mr. Bill doll for Christmas.

Hey, my neighbor's name is Mr. Bill. Of course, to my children all adults are Mr or Mrs first name. But our neighbor is Mr. Bill to all of the adults as well, being as he is old enough to be all of our parents. We gave him a Mr. Bill doll for Christmas.

OH NO! MR BILL!!! ;)

I guess Mr Bill is better than a doctor bill :D

(Plain old) Bill

Call her by first name. My email signature says Dr. Caroline Smith, AP Calculus Teacher. It gets me quicker responses from University Professors and publishing companies. I leave it off of most personal email, but sometimes forget. I don't want friends and family to call me Dr.

I'd respond in kind. If she starts her emails with "Hi Sue," I don't think it is a problem for you to "Hi Jane" her. Most of the PhDs I know aren't picky about being addressed as Doctor, though it is an appropriate form of address for a PhD.

:iagree: I have recently started corresponding with another relative who has her Phd and is a Professor. I do not refer to her as Dr. or as Professor...lol

I just say Hi Kim! after all, she write to me as Hi L not Dear. Mrs. XXXXX

Since it is not a professional setting, and a relative, I just go by first name.

If your correspondence is in anyway related to her profession you address her as Dr. I send frequent emails to one of dd's doctors. She always addresses me as Christina but I always refer to her as Dr. *******. The email communications end up in dd's file so I want them to be "proper" even though this particular Dr. is very relaxed and I doubt she would care.

I have an Aunt who has a PhD and while my salutation is "Dear Aunt L" I always address the envelope with her title.

This is a good point - as the e-mail is related to her profession.

I never thought, as many suggested, that her signature might be standard and offers credibility.

I think it is possible to be friendly and still call someone by Mrs. xyz to give me respect, especially since we have never met in person.

I do have my kids call adults Mrs. last name, or if they are really close family friend, Miss First name (kind of like Miss Elly from the tv show Dallas), but as an adult I would never title-first name.

Thanks for your thoughts!