Menu

Palate expander ?

Is there any benefit to getting a palate expander for an 8 y.o. rather than waiting?

This dd has sensory processing issues and I'm wondering if maturity would help in dealing with any discomfort. (I'm putting this mildly.)

I didn't know where else to ask. So, thanks for being here, hive friends.:)

And it was a great result for my son. He had them on top and on bottom at the same time. His smile literally changed in about a month. He wasn't losing baby teeth, because his adult teeth were so big, they weren't pushing the babies out of the way - too crowded. He lost probably 4 teeth in about a month because of the added space. I think it will take a year off his total orthodontia, as it has allowed his teeth to come in in a natural position, rather than too high. Hope this helps.

Is there any benefit to getting a palate expander for an 8 y.o. rather than waiting?

This dd has sensory processing issues and I'm wondering if maturity would help in dealing with any discomfort. (I'm putting this mildly.)

Yes, IMHO a palate expander would be one of the few legitimate reasons for early orthodontics. If the problem with the teeth is that the palate is too narrow, then making room for them before they come in can make a huge difference.

Mandy

I know what you mean about sensory issues! My ds has sensory processing issues AND anxiety. He's 12 now, and has an "appliance" in his mouth (it consists of bands around two back teeth on the bottom, and a wire that curves around behind his bottom teeth between the two bands). I thought this was going to be a HUGE problem, but he's done pretty well with it. We got him some wax to put on sore spots, and gave him Tylenol the first day. Within a day or so, he was only complaining occasionally, and not too intensely. I did bring him back to have it adjusted about a month later, because he said one spot was really rubbing his cheek. They were able to fix that. I think his relative maturity has really helped him cope better than he would have a few years ago.

I know the palate expander is pretty uncomfortable for some kids, and it may be stressful for you and dd to do the adjustments needed. Talk to the ortho, and let him know your concerns. See if there's any harm in waiting a bit. Then maybe talk to an OT about helping her?

Best wishes on this! I know it's not easy. DS's orthodontist told him at the last appointment (when I brought him in for the adjustment) that his teeth are doing well, and he'll be ready for braces in the summer. Yikes!

Wendi

If you wait, the bones harden and become difficult to work with.

The top jaw stops growing at around age 12. the bottom at around age 18.

they can so easily do work in such a short time and get great results while child is young.

If you need the expander for the top, don't wait. your child will thank you for it later.

Good luck!

Ruthie

My son had a palate extender when he was about that age. He has Asperger's Syndrome and also lots of sensory issues. I was a nervous wreck! The worst part was inserting the little key every night and turning it a little. Warning: please tie a string to the key before using it! Dumb me didn't and I dropped it in my son's mouth and when I reached in to get it, my touch triggered his gag reflex and then he swallowed. My DH had to take him to the ER at 11:00pm for an xray. Thankfully it didn't get stuck anywhere and passed through his system safely.

My son's upper jaw is too small for the lower (according to the dentist, who referred us). The orthodontist said that he wanted to wait. My son is now almost 14 and he's getting a more manly face... it looks much different than it used to. It's interesting that his teeth are straighter now than they were before. It's because as his adult teeth came in his jaw naturally matured and grew... just like it was supposed to. I'm not saying that this orthodontist's advice would work for everybody, but I really was surprised that an orthodontist would put off this money-making opportunity. I got the reference for him (several times) through our local homeschool support group.

I would definitely get more than one professional opinion.

Do it now!

I had a palate expander as a teen and it hurt soooo bad. I remember my mother crying while she cranked it because it was hurting me and I was crying.

My dd has one now at age seven. It's expanding her jaw in two directions! Hers isn't glued in -it's like a retainer. She only pops it out while she eats and for me to crank it. Then she puts it back in. It doesn't bother her a bit. She says it feels tight right after I crank it, but if I ask her again several hours later it's fine again. We've never had to use Tylenol, even.

I was practically in tears when we got it for her, remembering how awful it was for me. It's been no big deal at all - plus none of her friends tease her at all about it because they're still so young. I would do it sooner rather than later.

We did it at about age 7-9. My son had a pretty severe problem and it took a while to correct it completely. I believe that's the age when it's normally done. I think they have to do it at the right time, developmentally speaking. I might be completely off base, but I didn't think you could do it with any great degree of success as a teen or adult.

DD got hers at 8 and had it for about 5 months. It worked wonders very quickly with making space for teeth that had nowhere to go. It's possible that she may not even need braces now (fingers crossed!)

I do understand the concern about sensory issues, though. My ds7 needs the same procedure but we may have to wait until he is older because I really don't think he would be able to handle it.

My son had a palate expander at age 8 (I think he was newly 8) and he has sensory issues. Boy, does he have sensory issues. He can't wear socks with seams! Anyway, the palate expander was fine and successfully expanded his palate. I was skeptical because I also have a very small mouth and I had to have four teeth removed during my orthodonture.

Now he is almost 10 and will have his braces removed before his 10th birthday. Everything looks good!

Oh, I forgot to say that there was an issue with the expander, but it was not a sensory issue. There are holes in it and he couldn't properly make certain consonsant sounds. So it sounded like he had a speech impediment. I think it was "t's" that were the problem....maybe not. Can't remember. The ortho said he would learn to talk properly, but he never did until it was removed about six or eight months later.

HTH a little.

Julie

I would definitely do it now. We didn't take our eldest son till he was 12 (because our dentist said there was no point doing it earlier. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!) The orthodontist said if he had seen him around age 8 he would have worn the palate expander for a little while and that would have been the end of it. Now, because he's so much older, even though the expander did its job, he still has to wear an appliance every night, plus 2 hours during the day, and he may still need braces. Don't wait!

Better earlier than later if you ask me. I had one that got one when she was six and one that got one when she was 14 or 15. The little one had no real problems and never really complained. The teen is a stoic individual that rarely if ever complains about anything. When we adjusted her, you could actually hear the creaking of the bones and she said it was like someone punched her in the nose and she saw stars. The bones fuse and harden as the get older. My oldest dd and my brother looked into this as adults and they were both told that they would have to break the palate first and then install the expander. Needless to say neither of them had it done.

My dd got hers at 9.5, and it's made a big difference in the way her teeth have been able to come in. I thought the "cranking" part would be painful for her, but she told me she barely felt it. We only had to "crank" for 2 weeks, but she's had it in for nearly a year to hold her jaw in place while her braces do the work.

By contrast, my older dd got her braces at 13, but she had to have 4 teeth pulled in order for her mouth to accomodate all of her teeth, before she got her braces.

So, I'm in the "earlier is easier" camp, but my girls don't have sensory issues. I'd say if you're going to do it anyway, start now.

HTH!

We too did it with our daughter at about age 9 I think. After the expander was taken off they "assured" us she would need braces to realign her top teeth. To date, she has not had braces and is 14.5 year old - they realigned (came back together) themselves naturally. I thought there was a window of opportunity for the best results and that is why they recommend doing this when they are younger???

T

I remember feeling like I was the matron of a medieval torture chamber....

Agreeing with the others who say do it now! Orthopedic orthodontic procedures are designed to train the bones while they are still able to be trained. Especially in the case of a sizeable crossbite, such as my daughter had, treating with a palate expander prevents the possible future ned for surgery.

The first couple of weeks were tough, keep some liquid Tylenol on hand, but dd soon got used to it. It was almost a bigger adjustment getting used to not having it!