Menu

How much would you charge for this?

I've been commissioned to make a "life size" guitar cake and 150 mini-cupcakes for a sweet sixteen party. The guitar is covered in homemade (yummy) fondant. As for how long all this has taken, I don't know...just know it has taken a LONG time over the course of the last few days. I do know that ingredients/cake board/etc alone totals about $50. This is a huge extravagant Sweet 16 party and they are sparing no expense. I don't want to charge more than what it is worth, but I don't want to get short-changed, either. :confused:

TIA!

Melissa in St Louis

$50 in supplies + 4 hours labor + artistic talents exploited = $250, at least!

You are totally worth this.

In Little Rock, you'd pay $100 plus tax for the 150 generic cupcakes.

More for special order, even at the grocery store.

And the cake would cost you $50, if you could even GET a design like that.

Our specialty shops charge $30 + tax for an 8 inch cake.

It's pretty and 2 layered.

HTH~

What does the local bakery charge per serving for cakes? Look at their prices, consider what has an equivalent "elaborateness" per serving. After I go that data, I'd look at the per serving cost times the amount of servings in your cake, plus the cupcakes. You can adjust that up or down, but you need to really value your skill and the time you've put in.

I'm trying to imagine the number of servings by looking at ds's electric guitar. Is the cake including the cupcakes 100 servings. I think $300 would be the rate around here. This depends on geography and how much less it may be for an independent baker to charge.

Gosh, I might even be tempted to call the bakery that the Ace of Cakes from Food Network has and find out what they would charge for such a cake. That might give you some perspective to charge what you are worth.

I've been commissioned to make a "life size" guitar cake and 150 mini-cupcakes for a sweet sixteen party. The guitar is covered in homemade (yummy) fondant.

Custom/specialty cake pricing varies wildly by location, and according to the decorator's level of expertise.

One of the things that makes a difference is what you mean by "life size guitar cake". If it's sheet cakes with a guitar pictured in icing on top, that's different than a guitar that you've painstakingly carved out of whole cakes and decorated with as much realism as possible. How many servings do you plan on providing? Are you delivering, or are they picking up? Do you have a lot of professional experience?

Could you give a bit more detail? Hey, we'd love to see a photo too! :)

I made sheet cakes, made the buttercream to frost them with, stuck them together, carved them from a picture of the recipient's own guitar, made the fondant, covered it in said fondant...It is over 3 feet long. I am delivering and setting the cake and cupcakes up. I am NOT serving it or cutting it. I draw the line at some point!:lol:

Melissa in St Louis

I made sheet cakes, made the buttercream to frost them with, stuck them together, carved them from a picture of the recipient's own guitar, made the fondant, covered it in said fondant...It is over 3 feet long. I am delivering and setting the cake and cupcakes up. I am NOT serving it or cutting it. I draw the line at some point!:lol:

Melissa in St Louis

They say it depends on location. Well, where I am, I would have no problem paying $300 for what you describe. That would not include delivery and set-up.

Whoa... I missed the 150 cupcakes too. Maybe $400-450.

But didn't you tell them how much it would be up front? You should always make your price range clear up front. Sometimes people don't appreciate how much work you put into creations. People with money are often penny-pinchers.

When I used to custom design, I found I would short-change myself and not ask what I was really worth. That just makes you frustrated.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Call specialty cake bakeries in your area. Find out how much they charge for wedding cakes made similarly. Maybe not the guitar but the fondant, buttercream etc. It's often priced per serving. Serving sizes are smaller than what we often serve at home. :) I'd love to see a picture as well! You could make a fortune in NYC.