Menu

Life of Fred

razorbackmama

Do you try to match up the topics at all? Or do you just do the next thing in each one? Would you say that LOF would work best alongside a mastery curriculum? Or might it work along with a spiral?

We just do the next thing. There are 30 lessons in MUS and 30 lessons in LOF so we will finish at the same time. My ds does not do well with spiral curriculums so I don't know how well it would work with that. But the book topics are set up similar to MUS in that one whole book is on fractions and a whole book is on decimals, etc....just like MUS.

I'm using Fractions and Decimals/Percents as supplements. Our main program is Singapore, and we did Fractions the summer after 4A/B and will do D/P next summer after 5A/B.

That said, I am very seriously considering using LOF, along with the Home Companion, as the main math program for one of my dds starting with Beginning Algebra. I think it will work well with her learning style, and along with the Home Companion, from what I've read, it's a complete program. But that's still a plan, so I can't share any BTDT yet.

The first two books of LOF are short and sweet, covering the basics for pre-algebra. I think LOF really shines as a stand-alone program in the higher levels--algebra through calculus. In the upper levels I believe that more is covered than traditional texts, but the first two books are really prep work to get ready for higher math.

I have used the first two books alone and also along side MUS. I think that once a child can deal in the abstract well, then LOF would be a fine stand alone. My kids got bogged down a bit because they were not quite ready for abstractness of algebra.

If you have the chance to ever see the upper level books you will see how tremendously thorough they are! Fractions and Decimals/percents is about getting the child up to speed and ready for algebra and therefore they do work well with other curriculums.

I plan on continuing with LOF through the end but because my children, like me, are not so good dealing with the abstract, we may continue to add MUS for at least the concrete presentation aspect.

We've done the first book and almost finished the second book. My daughter is going to start the Algebra book, soon. I'm nervous, as I had a very rocky time with Algebra. One of my other daughters is doing Calculus, for fun, in addition to her other Calculus that we borrowed from PS.

With the first two books, she does the lessons for a while, and then she uses the whiteboard to go through and do the bridges (the bridges that she didn't use...just one extra bridge per "lesson")

I think with algebra, that we may be able to just use Algebra I and the companion book.

Carrie:-)

I can only speak for the first 2 books. They are a great supplement (we are long time MUS users), but I cannot see them being a stand alone at this level. There is simply not enough repetition for them to be effective on their own, for my dd. That said, she loves them and I think they're a great new path for math to really solidify in her mind.

My dd is moving quickly through LoF:Fractions & Decimals/Percents as she works on MUS: Algebra 1. I have LoF: Beginning Algebra ready for her when she finishes LoF: D/P. She uses MUS on M-W & LoF on TH-F as TH-F she is away 9-3 at Polytech. She aims to complete 1 MUS lesson & 5 chapters+bridge LoF weekly.

Ds#1 is working slowly through LoF: Fractions alongside MUS:Zeta & Key to Geometry. He aims to complete one page / chapter in each text daily = ~one hour maths daily.

JMHO,

I am working one child through Life of Fred Beg. Algebra and another child with Foerster's Algebra 1....different children required different approaches.

So far they are more or less learning the same stuff. With DD she tells me what is going on with Fred in his story. She works the problems alone and then checks her own answers. Usually she misses one at most two because of small math errors but is comprehending the subject well. I have recently been thinking of dragging out the Lial's Algebra to a topic she has covered just to give her a "test" of sorts. I can tell you math went from being the last thing in the day she wanted to do, to being the first subject she does. That says A LOT in my book!

HTHs,

Has anyone used this for math? It is VERY intriguing to me. My main concern is that it's complete on its own. Anyone know?

We are currently 2/3 way through LoF Algebra and MUS Algebra. Ds likes MUS because it's easy and LoF because it's humorous. We are just plowing through each in order. Sometimes, they work on the same concepts, sometimes they don't, but they do both cover the same material. I would say that LoF has more challenging problems, but altogether fewer problems (yes, we are using the Home Companion as well). So, if your dc needs more problems to cement concepts it is not so good.

As to using it as a standalone program, I will quote Kathy in MD in this thread:

Added: I think some will be reluctant to use it as a stand alone program until it has more of a track record on these boards, because something so fun shouldn't be so good. OTOH, some may be forseeing trying to explain to the admission officer at MIT that a book titled Life of Fred IS a serious calculus text.

:iagree:

We use LOF as our only text. My son breezed through the first two books and is now doing Algebra. The program has just the right amount of repetition for him. We're very happy with it.

If you find you need more repetition, you can do some of the additional "bridge" problems that you will typically skip between the chapters, or you can supplement with Singapore's "Extra Practice" and "Challenging Word Problems" books. However, we have not yet found a need to supplement.

We use LOF as our only text. My son breezed through the first two books and is now doing Algebra. The program has just the right amount of repetition for him. We're very happy with it.

If you find you need more repetition, you can do some of the additional "bridge" problems that you will typically skip between the chapters, or you can supplement with Singapore's "Extra Practice" and "Challenging Word Problems" books. However, we have not yet found a need to supplement.

Wow, your 9yo is doing algebra?:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to come back so late....

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I think we are about to start using MUS, and I want to use LOF alongside it. Since LOF Fractions and Decimals/Percents isintended to be used a pre-algebra, should I wait until my son is in MUS pre-algebra? I'm pretty sue I'm going to start him in Epsilon. I had thought to have him do LOF Fractions alongside Epsilon and D/P alongside Zeta, but then I didn't know what to do alongside pre-algebra. Suggestions?

I think we are about to start using MUS, and I want to use LOF alongside it. Since LOF Fractions and Decimals/Percents isintended to be used a pre-algebra, should I wait until my son is in MUS pre-algebra? I'm pretty sue I'm going to start him in Epsilon. I had thought to have him do LOF Fractions alongside Epsilon and D/P alongside Zeta, but then I didn't know what to do alongside pre-algebra. Suggestions?

There is a rumor that Stan is coming out with LoF Pre-Algebra by request. Maybe it will be out by the time you are at MUS Pre-Algebra.

I would do MUS Epsilon and LoF Fractions, then MUS Zeta and Lof Decimals. Then, either skip MUS Pre-Algebra and continue with MUS Algebra and LoF Algebra (see my post in this thread) OR MUS Pre-Algebra with some Singapore OR maybe LoF Pre-Algebra will be out then.

Please note that I never used LoF Decimals or Percents. So, take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good luck!