Menu

My brother is home on leave.....

Oh, Heather. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you and your brother and your ds. I pray for your brother regularly. He might need your help when he returns from this tour with getting the help he needs. From what I understand, the place where he is stationed doesn't necessarily have a good system for helping the returning soliders.

Oh, Heather. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you and your brother and your ds. I pray for your brother regularly. He might need your help when he returns from this tour with getting the help he needs. From what I understand, the place where he is stationed doesn't necessarily have a good system for helping the returning soliders.

He wasn't debriefed. He is not the same person. We kinda had an idea of things he has gone through. But they are much, much worse. He has talked with my dad some and that seems to help somewhat. But he is not doing too good being back in civilian life all of a sudden.

My brother had a hard time the first time he came home on R&R also. All you can do is keep things as close to normal as possible. Try to include him on everyday activities like cooking dinner, playing board games....just *normal* things. I know it helped a lot to avoid really crowded areas like restaurants and malls. Keeping it all very low key and low pressure seemed to be the most helpful thing. Making a point of how differently he is behaving only seemed to make it worse.

I'll pray for your brother. If it is any comfort, my brother finished his first tour and has just completed a second and is almost back to the way he was. There is certainly a difference - he has seen and done things I can't even imagine. But he has grown and learned to live with and accept the things that can't be changed.

My heart is hurting for you and for him.

:grouphug:Transitioning in and back on leave is often very hard on them. You love them, listen and if you feel the need call for help. I'm not sure how old your ds is, but I'd explain that his uncle is unwell right now and still loves him, but just needs some time.

I'm not sure how helpful the following link is, but here it is.

Prayers for your family.

https://www.militarymentalhealth.org/welcome.asp

I remember when my brother came home, he slept with his gun by him. I didn't like that, as he was on the couch...It's like you announced your entrance, because I was a bit nervous.... He took quite a while before he seemed like he was ok doing things without a set time. I'm not sure you're ever normal after you've shot people. The other day I said something about, "Have you ever killed anything?" Meaning....animals, because I'm thinking of raising rabbits for my dog, and as soon as the question left my lips, I had to say..."I mean animals." There was kinda a weird silence, because he has in fact killed people.

You have to get use to the fact that kids asking for candy, might be trying to kill you. He had pictures on his laptop, that no one wants to look at....Entering a normal job, doesn't pay what his branch did, so that's tough, too. You come back to $10 an hour jobs....if that's what you're level of job pays in civilian life...and that's not very good.

I think my brother is his normal now, after a while. BUT, I'm not sure that you can ever get rid of the effects. I mean, someone that has been in war, views life differently. I'm not sure what my brother thinks about most things....he's always been a little bit of an introvert about what he thinks....

My brother was only in for about 5 years, I can't imagine a life time of it.

Carrie....

He wasn't debriefed. He is not the same person. We kinda had an idea of things he has gone through. But they are much, much worse. He has talked with my dad some and that seems to help somewhat. But he is not doing too good being back in civilian life all of a sudden.

I'm glad he's talking to your dad. I will continue to pray for your whole family. This makes me so sad; I can only imagine how you must feel as his sister. If there is anything I can do, let me know, okay?

I remember when my brother came home, he slept with his gun by him. I didn't like that, as he was on the couch...It's like you announced your entrance, because I was a bit nervous.... He took quite a while before he seemed like he was ok doing things without a set time. I'm not sure you're ever normal after you've shot people. The other day I said something about, "Have you ever killed anything?" Meaning....animals, because I'm thinking of raising rabbits for my dog, and as soon as the question left my lips, I had to say..."I mean animals." There was kinda a weird silence, because he has in fact killed people.

You have to get use to the fact that kids asking for candy, might be trying to kill you. He had pictures on his laptop, that no one wants to look at....Entering a normal job, doesn't pay what his branch did, so that's tough, too. You come back to $10 an hour jobs....if that's what you're level of job pays in civilian life...and that's not very good.

I think my brother is his normal now, after a while. BUT, I'm not sure that you can ever get rid of the effects. I mean, someone that has been in war, views life differently. I'm not sure what my brother thinks about most things....he's always been a little bit of an introvert about what he thinks....

My brother was only in for about 5 years, I can't imagine a life time of it.

Carrie....

He said he has had kids duct tape ied's to his hummer.

My dad is a vet, so if we walked in my parents room while he was sleeping we had to announce ourselves. He also slept with a gun on the table.

Edited by Tarheel Heather

I'm so sorry. My brother is also career Army. We have a neighbor that is a psychiatrist and he says the repeat deployments are really hurting these guys. Keep loving, encourage help, visit if you can. It's great he's talking to your dad. You might have to give your son the simple truth.

My dad is a vet, so if we walked in my parents room while he was sleeping we had to announce ourselves. He also slept with a gun on the table.

Mine, too. We learned at an early age not to wake him up otherwise you'd find yourself flat on your butt on the other side of the room.

It's good your dad has been there and done that, so at least he has someone he can talk to.

I wish I had more to offer, but I'll pray him and your family.

:grouphug:

and my heart goes out to all of you. I didn't know PTSD could be so difficult. Stepping into a hell like war is something one would not forget. Forgive my ignorance. Just thinking about what your brother is going through makes me very, very sad for him. And compells me to be praying for him all the more.

Would they (branch of military not specified) deploy him after showing these symptoms?

Claire in NM

Edited by Claire in NM

I think you call the VA and tell them he is manifesting signs of PTSD. He needs help. You give your boy a hug and (if you pray) you pray with him for his uncle and the others involved in this war.

I would not call the VA. I don't know what signs your db is exhibiting, but unless you think he is a danger to himself or others, I would not contact anyone.

Praying for you and your db!

:grouphug:

I can't imagine how hard the transition must be. I'm glad your dad can talk with him and has some insight as to what he may be experiencing. I'm sorry, Heather.