Menu

Can anyone share the secret for GREAT home-brewed coffee?

Is it the beans?

The pot?

The technique?

I feel like I've tried it all and I'm still just like, eh, nothing much past tolerable. I've not invested in an expensive pot, so can't claim to have tried that. My latest in beans was Gevalia (got the free pot, which btw is identical to my old Mr. C, just different label). I'd have to say I really liked it and it's probably the best coffee I've made at home, but $$, not sure it's worth that.

A friend of mine makes great coffee using just grocery store coffee, I can't figure out why her's tastes so much better than mine when (I think) I'm doing the same thing :confused:.

It could be your water. It could be the amount of coffee you're using. Mostly, I think people tend to use too little coffee, which makes an insipid, acidic pot. You should be using one heaping scoop of coffee per two cups.

As a general rule, darker roasts tend to be lower acid than lighter roasts, too.

It's generally not the method itself, but rather using the amount and appropriate grind of coffee appropriate to the method. Percolators use coarse grind, cone filters use fine, flat bottom drip filters are usually medium. It has to do with the amount of time the water stays in the grounds.

Or, like I said, it could be your water. If your water sucks, your coffee will, too.

Thanks.

Maybe it's my measuring. The Gevalia came with a measuring scoop, and I was making pretty good coffee. Dh then accidentally tosed the scoop, so I went back to "guessing", but I ran out of the Gevalia coffee around the time I lost the scoop so I didn't really make the connection to the measuring but rather the coffee brand.

Dh calls our coffee "muddy" tasting. He's not a complainer, but I agree with him on this.

We have really good water. Probably operator error :tongue_smilie:- I don't know how to make coffee!

It's all of the above!

Filtered water

HOT HOT HOT water

grinding the beans just before you brew

a FABULOUS coffee pot

NO Grocery store coffee!!!

I'm even against Starbucks. They taste so generic to me (they didn't use to). I buy at my local Sunflower Market. I like the dark, rich roasts. YUMMMMM

Oh, and this time of year, I put a little Rediwhip on top:D It's only 15 calories a TBSP!

BTW - can you tell I'm a coffee snob? I will forgo coffee if it's not good. My hubby microwaved a cup for me over the holiday and he wished he hadn't. I took a sip and said, "You NUKED this DIDN'T YOU?!?!?" He couldn't believe I could taste the difference, but I could:D

HTH!

i'm not a coffe snob but i did start working at Starbuck's recently. my home coffee brewing has improved. the biggest change for me is measuring. the recommended proportion is 2 TBS (10 grams) per 6 oz cup of water. using too little coffee makes the brew bitter. if that taste is too strong for you (it does for me no matter what blend i'm using) dilute the coffee with hot water after the coffee is brewed.

grind is also important. if your filter is cone-shaped you need a finer grind that if your filter is flat bottom. it's the shape of the filter that matters more, not whether the filter is paper or metal.

Ew. I hear ya. My ILs offered us "coffee bags" as we were leaving and intending to stop at Starbucks on our way home last month. :ack2: I do occasionally nuke a leftover cup in the morning - because I can't stand to waste it - but it's not good.

I'm a big fan of Coffee Beans Direct. Their organic, fair trade, dark-roast Sumatra is fabulous.

My dh has for the last year or so been roasting his own coffee beans and the coffee is wonderful. He roasts the beans outside in the garage and makes the garage smell like a Starbucks for a while. ;) He only roasts what we will use in the next couple of days so that it is fresh. I think he is a bit obsessive about it but it's become his hobby and I just like to tease him. Anyways, I'll include the link to the place he has gotten all of his equipment and raw coffee beans. For Christmas this year, I got him a small Yama vacuum brewer and the coffee is really good. Up until recently when our coffee maker died, we used it on the weekdays and the french press on the weekends. The vacuum brewer has no sediment and it is supposedly the best way to brew coffee. My dh also uses filtered water rather than the tap water for brewing.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

Enjoy! Oh, and he keeps a log on Excel to record how he liked different beans and roasting times, etc.

I love the aeropress. (See here: http://www.localsonlycoffee.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-TM-p/aer01.htm)

Once we figured out how to use it, we have great coffee every time. I use regular tap water, heated to just below boiling (or to boiling, and then allowed to cool to just below boiling). I usually buy my coffee at Trader Joe's, but Costco has some stuff that's pretty good, too, and at a decent price. I buy whole bean, and grind it fine right before using. I use two scoopfuls of beans (I think this comes to about 1/3 c.--not sure; it's the aeropress scoop) and a little over 1/2 c. hot water. Once I've pressed my coffee, then I add more hot water to mostly fill up my big mug, then whole milk to the top. If I were using a smaller mug, I'd use fewer beans.

It's really tasty coffe, and takes very little time (comparable to making tea). What I love about this particular coffee maker is that it works on the same principle as a french press but also has a filter, I can make one cup of coffee at a time, and it didn't break the bank. :)

You might look up Alton Brown. I don't watch the food network (or any TV) but we've checked out some of his DVDs from the library. He has one that includes a segment on making coffee that you might enjoy.

For Christmas this year, I got him a small Yama vacuum brewer and the coffee is really good. Up until recently when our coffee maker died, we used it on the weekdays and the french press on the weekends. The vacuum brewer has no sediment and it is supposedly the best way to brew coffee. My dh also uses filtered water rather than the tap water for brewing.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

I wondered if anyone would mention vacuum brewers, since the OP (Alaska Mom) mentioned her husband didn't like "muddy" coffee.

I happen to enjoy the sediment that comes with French Press coffee, but there is something really special about the low-acid sediment-free coffee that results from the vacuum method. Pretty "archaic" but this method has a very distinctive taste that many might find the ultimate in a "refined" coffee experience.

The cold water method makes a brew somewhat similar to vacuum methods coffee.

There are so many ways to make coffee, and they each have there own effects on the drink. It's important to know what qualities are most important to you.

Bill

I disagree with a lot of what I read here.

I never buy from the bins at the upscale markets, because coffee sitting in a bin is deteriorating hour by hour. I buy sealed bags that make you sigh when you open them.

I hate french press coffee. I've never liked it. I don't like it when my friend who is a first class coffee snob to the point of roasting his own beans makes it. I like drip coffee. Percolater coffee doesn't make me as happy.

But see - we are all different.

I think some grocery store brands are fairly good - I sometimes buy Millstone, though I mostly buy organic fair trade from Trader Joes.

Is it the beans?

The pot?

The technique?

I feel like I've tried it all and I'm still just like, eh, nothing much past tolerable. I've not invested in an expensive pot, so can't claim to have tried that. My latest in beans was Gevalia (got the free pot, which btw is identical to my old Mr. C, just different label). I'd have to say I really liked it and it's probably the best coffee I've made at home, but $$, not sure it's worth that.

A friend of mine makes great coffee using just grocery store coffee, I can't figure out why her's tastes so much better than mine when (I think) I'm doing the same thing :confused:.

All I can tell you is that everybody who drinks it, LOVES the coffee we make here.

I have an old Mr. Coffee pot, nothing special there.

We use Dunkin' Donuts brand coffee. We used to grind the beans ourselves, but we go through it so quickly (6 pounds of regular and decaf -- 3 pounds each -- every 2 weeks) it's worth my time just to buy the coffee already ground.

We also use super cold spring water (our tap water is horrible) from our water cooler.

As far as the measuring goes, I typically make 8 cups using 4.5 scoops of coffee. ALWAYS use a scoop (we use a generous, rounded scoopful), never just eyeball it or **shivers** use a tablespoon from the silverware drawer. :ack2:

One more hint: DO NOT under any circumstances leave the coffee on the burner longer than 20 minutes. It will burn and taste oh so nasty. And one more thing ;) DO NOT under any circumstances nuke your coffee to warm it up. YUCK!!! DOUBLE NASTY. Instead, as soon as the coffee is finished brewing, pour it into a carafe (get one) to keep it warm.

I like the Kirkland brand Guatemalan French Roast (from Costco). We buy beans and grind them just before preparing our coffee using an electric burr grinder. Don't know how much coffee we use as some time ago we set our grinder to produce the right amount of coffee each time (for 8 cups). We have a cone filter coffee maker with a thermal carafe, which means NO HEATING ELEMENT. The coffee stays hot for hours and never gets the burned/cooked taste. We use unbleached filters as they trap some substance that tends to raise cholesterol, and I think the coffee tastes smoother compared to a gold filter.

We also use an old-fashioned Italian stove-top espresso maker (moka pot) when we want espresso or cafe-au-lait.

We regularly get raves about our coffee.

I first read about it here, but I love cold-brewed coffee. We have wonderful well water at home, so that probably helps. I'm also an utter tightwad by necessity, so I buy Chock-Full-O-Nuts New York Roast when it goes on sale at the grocery store and use this setup:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/coldhome/

To me this brings out all the flavor, and it's easier on my tummy than brewing it in my perculator (which is what I used to do). I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so it's more convenient too. If there was more than one of us, I might consider buying a formal set-up like this: http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW.

Edited by GVA