Menu

Picture Books with Higher Level of Text

AnneGG

I’m looking for “meaty” picture books recommendations for upper elementary ages. We have a lot of early childhood and lower elementary level picture books, but my 9 & 10 year old are outgrowing them. I don’t want to give up picture books with them yet!

Patricia Polacco is a good one if you haven't read many of hers.  DS enjoyed The Three Questions about that age - it's by Tolstoy, but there's an adaptation that's a picture book.  There are several that are worth reading for higher level topics: Shin's Tricycle, especially followed by The Peace Tree From Hiroshima is a good first look at the devastation of Japan in WWII.  Look To The Stars is a book by Buzz Aldrin-it's one of those that sparked an interest in space in my kid.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Patricia Polacco is a good one if you haven't read many of hers.  DS enjoyed The Three Questions about that age - it's by Tolstoy, but there's an adaptation that's a picture book.  There are several that are worth reading for higher level topics: Shin's Tricycle, especially followed by The Peace Tree From Hiroshima is a good first look at the devastation of Japan in WWII.  Look To The Stars is a book by Buzz Aldrin-it's one of those that sparked an interest in space in my kid.

The name sounded familiar so I googled it... oh my we have just read 2 great books by her! An Orange for Frankie, and Mrs. Katz and Tush. I have a bad habit of telling myself to check out more books by the same author when I like something, but forgetting to follow through. I am going to add some to my hold list now. Thanks!

• Like 1

I was thinking about posting a topic with this same question just yesterday! Patricia Polacco and the D'Aulaire books came to mind. Also Bill Peet books are more fun/funny but longer than a typical picture book.

I find picture books based on true stories to be meatier. Here's a goods starting list: https://brighterdaypress.com/pages/true-stories?srsltid=AfmBOooyK7g3lEClldmuWhe4sxvGbTvUb5iEfgmTWutk41WajLBZ8ivq

• Like 4

Beautifully illustrated myth written at an upper elementary level
Tenggren's Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights
Age of Fable: The Illustrated Bulfinch's Mythology
Black Ships Before Troy (Sutcliff) -- one of the versions has gorgeous illustrations interspersed with full pages of text, retelling The Iliad

Nonfiction for upper elementary
The Way Things Work (Macauley)
The Ultimate Visual Dictionary (DK)

Below... these might be a little young, but, throwing them out there so you can look at them and decide. 😉

beautifully illustrated picture book retellings by Marianna Mayer
The Tempest -- Shakespeare play
Pegasus -- Ancient Greek myth
Ivanhoe -- Sir Walter Scott's medieval tale of knights
Warrior Women: Myths & Legends of Heroic Women

Growing Up Behind the Wall (Peter Sis)
Not a lot of text, but more mature/abstract topic of Communist regime and the author's experience growing up under that -- so, meaty for explaining those political events and discussing as you read.

The Librarian Who Measured the Earth (Kathryn Lasky)
Illustrated biography of the ancient Greek philosopher and scientist Eratosthenes, who compiled the first geography book and accurately measured the globe's circumference.

The Eleventh Hour: A Curious Mystery (Graem Base)
Has codes, cyphers, and puzzling items to solve on every page; gorgeous illustrations.

Possibly Doug Cushman's Seymour Sleuth series
- The Mystery of King Karfu
- Mystery of the Monkey's Maze
- The Mystery at the Club Sandwich

• Like 4

I think Margaret Hodges picture books are wonderful for all ages. Saint George and the Dragon, the Kitchen Knight, and many others.

Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey

The Quiltmaker’s Gift by Jeff Brumbeau

Blockhead: The Life of Fibonacci

Sea Clocks: The Story of Longitude

Diane Stanley’s picture book biographies

Edited by Nichola
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...