Menu

Geography grades 1-8

Honestly - my dd says what helped her learn world geography the most were the puzzles and games we played. Ten Days in games were great for that, and I had others, too. She did a puzzle of the America, Europe, Asia, or Africa twice a day. Once after breakfast and once after lunch while listening to an older chapter of Story of the World as a review. It took 10 - 15 minutes maximum and gave me time to tidy up and get ready. 

• Like 1

I made my own. It was a mashup of Trail Guide to World Geography, Seterra online geography games, What We Eat (edited as appropriate -- my kids loved this one), a study of world monuments, world music selections, and animals from specific regions. Trail Guide has a lot of great ideas for deeper research as well as mapwork, and you could also add hands-on art from Geography Through Art. We had a blast, and it was one of my kids' favorite things. We finished it up with Around the World in 80 Days.

• Like 1

While you are looking at Galloping the Globe, they have a for all grades guide to teaching geography too. You can look at that or the Trail Guide to World Geography. 

Then report back because I keep looking at this curriculum wondering if I want to add it.

• Like 1

I like the Simply Charlotte Mason geography guides. They are maps to label and some outside reading. I add geopuzzles to this. I love them.

For the k-4 or so group notgrass has a brand new geography book. It looks great!

• Like 1

What is your goal for Geography? Different resources will help you get to different goals.
So what do you envision covering in your homeschool geography studies:

- cartography -- maps / map making / map skills
- human geography -- cultures, religions, languages, traditions, foods, housing, etc.
- political/physical geography -- memorize countries/capitals and/or US states/capitals
- physical geography -- learn where countries of the world are, with some major features (rivers, mountains, etc)
- physical geography -- learn about the physical features of earth -- landforms and oceanography
- biomes -- climate zone areas of the world and the plants/animals in that geographic area (arctic, jungle, forest, prairie, etc.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lori D. said:

What is your goal for Geography? Different resources will help you get to different goals.
So what do you envision covering in your homeschool geography studies:

- cartography -- maps / map making / map skills
- human geography -- cultures, religions, languages, traditions, foods, housing, etc.
- political/physical geography -- memorize countries/capitals and/or US states/capitals
- physical geography -- learn where countries of the world are, with some major features (rivers, mountains, etc)
- physical geography -- learn about the physical features of earth -- landforms and oceanography
- biomes -- climate zone areas of the world and the plants/animals in that geographic area (arctic, jungle, forest, prairie, etc.)

I would say a heavy emphasis on culture. I’m envisioning some fun cooking and crafting(the crafts led by the kids because I don’t craft) and lots of good books. 

You could do BF Around the World in Picture Books, and add to it for the older 2 kids. Is this your history/social studies focus for the year or is it in addition to history? How much you might want to bulk it up depends on the answer. You could add novels, map work, a geography text book, report writing, Memoria Press geography, etc. for the older kids. We read missionary books and/or biographies as a family during our morning time. We basically did this last year (oldest in 6th) and it was a great year! Lends itself very well to fun art projects and cooking.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, medawyn said:

Maybe look at GuestHollow's geography?

Guesthollow has truth and white nationalist issues in their history curriculum.  I'm not sure I'd trust their geography unless I went through it with a fine toothed comb.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Guesthollow has truth and white nationalist issues in their history curriculum.  I'm not sure I'd trust their geography unless I went through it with a fine toothed comb.

I definitely wouldn't use their history. I haven't looked extensively at their high school level geography which might include more problematic texts, but their jr. geography is decently well organized for a whole world geo in a year and the booklist is plentiful enough that I could pick and choose. There were a few books I avoided altogether, and a few I substituted other books.  For me it was a good outline with enough flexibility to add/subtract as needed, reasonably priced, with the majority of books I needed available at the library.

Also, OP, we've added ArtK12's Draw the World Series to all of our geography units, and that has been a favorite of my kids.

• Like 2