Menu

ISO: better than a "normal" air mattress....

I need to find VERY good air mattress that is comfortable enough for either my very pregnant daughter and son in law to sleep on or for my husband and I to sleep on.   It has to be something that can condensed into a small space when not being used.  

Please give me your best options.  

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

We got this one and I had to sleep on it a number of nights at my kid's new apartment and it was fine.  And I'm old and overweight lol.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B68FCC1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

One thing with the air matresses like this is not to over inflate which can be counter intuitive.  Lay on it as you inflate ETA - I mean try it as you go, not literally lay on it while it inflates).  The first night I over inflated and it was like a rock and it felt like I could fall off all night.  You want to sink into it a little bit.  The next 3 nights it was well adjusted and I slept just fine.

For 2 people, 2 twins pushed together might be better than a big one.  Then they won't disturb each other as much.  The air pushes around when you turn.  And then if you lose one, you just replace one.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have one to recommend, but if 2 people are sharing an air mattress and one is heavier than the other, the smaller one ends up sleeping on a hill all night, trying not to end up on top of the other person or on the floor.  Learned this the hard way.  I will not share an air mattress with dh.  Get 2 twins.

• Like 3

Exped makes very comfortable air mattresses that will mostly self inflate and then easily roll up.

Thicker ones would be the most comfortable.

Not cheap, though.

I can’t link atm but would recommend the MegaMat Max 15 Sleeping Pad. REI and other places sell them.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I don’t have one to recommend, but if 2 people are sharing an air mattress and one is heavier than the other, the smaller one ends up sleeping on a hill all night, trying not to end up on top of the other person or on the floor.  Learned this the hard way.  I will not share an air mattress with dh.  Get 2 twins.

This is exactly what I was going to say. We’re military and ALWAYS sleep on air mattresses for at least two weeks every time we move. My dh and I “upgraded” to a very nice, pillow top queen one move and I HATED it. I could feel every.single.move he made and it kept me up all night. So my number one recommendation is to get 2 twins. If you want to make them more comfortable, get a gel or foam type mattress topper for each. My favorite mattresses are the cheap, $10 twins from Walmart and then add a decent topper. Having two twins also allows each person to fill it to their comfort level—I prefer mine to be a bit soft and not completely full and firm. Call me weird, but this is the one I like. I also like this type better than the ones with the long tube-like air pockets  

IMG_6105.thumb.jpeg.ea1c6a6ecddc59b6325bbf4851c2f28b.jpeg

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

Just adding that air mattresses can be very cold to sleep on. Make sure to put more than just a sheet on top. I feel like they suck the heat right out of my body, and I have lots of body so I'm usually hot in a regular bed! 😅 

• Like 2

Also voting two twins!

Durabeam air mattresses seem to last longer than most.

3 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Just adding that air mattresses can be very cold to sleep on. Make sure to put more than just a sheet on top. I feel like they suck the heat right out of my body, and I have lots of body so I'm usually hot in a regular bed! 😅 

Yes. An old comforter that had lost its loft and extra fluff is great for this.

Also, if it’s on a hard floor, and the mattress doesn’t have a felt-like surface, put something under it because every time someone bats an eyelash, the mattress and the floor will conspire to make farting noises all night. 

• Thanks 1