Menu

How do you serve or have eaten ox tail?

saraha

Last year for the first time I was allowed to choose my own beef order. One of the things I got was ox tail. Yesterday I finally made it in the crockpot following an online recipe. Then I pulled it off the bone and served it with the jus with rice. It was good, but not life changing like all the sites on the internet made it out to be. Just seemed like roast. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to just slap down the whole joint on the plate or not, so pulled the meat.

I have another package to fix at one point, so I’m looking for suggestions 

• Like 1

I have cooked it in Chinese style soups, but unless I find myself with an iron deficiency in the middle of, say, a pandemic related, supply issue problem and this is about all that turned up at my local supermarket, I wouldn't bother again.

@Rosie_0801 the most convenient way is to use a slow cooker or pressure cooker and cook it like a stew. Chinese oxtail soup is meant for nutrition, not meant to taste good. I’ll go for the pork blood soup if there is a supply chain issue as people rarely buy pork blood at supermarkets so supply and prices are usually good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Rosie_0801 the most convenient way is to use a slow cooker or pressure cooker and cook it like a stew. Chinese oxtail soup is meant for nutrition, not meant to taste good. I’ll go for the pork blood soup if there is a supply chain issue as people rarely buy pork blood at supermarkets so supply and prices are usually good.

Can't say I've ever seen blood on shelf at a supermarket, but I do know where to buy a blood cookbook if it ever happens...

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

Do you eat around the fat and bones, or do you pull it?

They cook it long enough that the fat dissolves, the way it does in a pot roast, and you just poke it with a fork and the meat falls off. 

They serve it on the bone and the consumer does the poking at the table.  The meat comes apart and I stir it into the peas and rice with lots of gravy, and then eat it altogether.  Then I fall into the most delightful food coma.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Drama Llama said:

They cook it long enough that the fat dissolves, the way it does in a pot roast, and you just poke it with a fork and the meat falls off. 

They serve it on the bone and the consumer does the poking at the table.  The meat comes apart and I stir it into the peas and rice with lots of gravy, and then eat it altogether.  Then I fall into the most delightful food coma.  

Maybe I should have trimmed the fat off, a lot did dissolve but even though the meat was super tender, there was big shaggy pieces of fat

I've had oxtail at a West African restaurant. It's really good. They pulled the meat off the bones and served over rice. (It really doesn't matter though because the meat should easily come off the bones.) 

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Maybe I should have trimmed the fat off, a lot did dissolve but even though the meat was super tender, there was big shaggy pieces of fat

I thought the whole point of oxtail was the fat that's melted into the dish making it a super rich roast. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

It is usually sold in a container

image.thumb.jpeg.d4e86a5760be21a42ae4691c2fae35bf.jpeg
1017F31A-290E-4C57-BB9E-B0F051FA048D.webp.123e5e8977c2b1916119e68e5cc7394a.webp

My favorite food as a child.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saraha said:

I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to just slap down the whole joint on the plate or not, so pulled the meat.

If I want to make bone broth or equivalent later, I would pull the meat off first before plating. Else the person eating can diy. Oxtail soup is high in collagen which is useful not just for beauty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:
3 hours ago, saraha said:

I thought the whole point of oxtail was the fat that's melted into the dish making it a super rich roast

Lot of it did, but there was still some big chunks of fat clinging on and completely unappetizing to me. It was soft and tender but 😬