Menu

Tackling Tuesday Together, 4.2.24

ScoutTN

Posted (edited)

It’s a lovely morning here, but we have storms coming this afternoon. Lacrosse practice is cancelled - boo! 

Boy is at school and I’ve had coffee and b’fast. Got the casserole out of the fridge to come to room temp before heating. 

Today:
Do Bible study
Go to Bible study and luncheon ✔️ 
Email or call mom ✔️ 
Work on job hunting ✔️ 
Pick up Ds ✔️ 
Read

Dinner is mexican. Black beans and ground beef are thawing. 

Hoping Dd has success purchasing concert tickets this morning!! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

Sorry for the storms, @mommyoffive! Hopefully it's not as bad as predicted. 

Good luck to your DD for her concert tickets, @ScoutTN! And to you on the job hunt. Keep us posted! (what concert is she trying to get tix for? can you say?)

My day today -- it's gray/dreary here, but not sure if we will/won't have rain. We shall see. 

So, my list:

...coffee
...fold/put away laundry
...make the "Eclipse Packets" for 2nd grade for tomorrow (they meet on Weds only, so send that all home with them)(we'll do activities in class)
...make sure everything else is also ready for 2nd grade for tomorrow
...have a phone meeting with a mom acquaintance considering homeschooling her 8th grader
...help DS with his psychology homework, as needed
...take grad invitation pics of DS and make the invite, order, etc, so I can get those sent out (graduation is in a month)
...check w/tutoring mom, make sure we are on today
...check w/DH who is doing dinner, him or me (plan dinner if it's me)
...research this strange duck visiting our yard, see what he eats, so we can start adding his food to our bird food mix  (he's apparently a rare treat, people who come here looking for birds consider this one a treat - he's a black-bellied whistling duck)

...if I have tutoring, prep for that, go do that this afternoon
...come home, eat dinner, veg out
...maybe tonight get DH to show me what I need to do to clean/repair my epee for fencing (it's started being slightly intermittent)

I'm super excited about the graduation pic for the invites -- DS has a lot of hats, and as his friend group involves another kid with his same name, he is referred to as "Hat Name"  (the friend is "Tall Name"). So, for the invite, I'm going to photo DS wearing all his hats, ala "caps for sale", and holding the grad cap, with the caption "Name's Adding a New Hat to His Collection!" and then the info. DS laughed and begrudgingly admitted that as corny as it is, it's a good idea, and he's down for it. Yay! 

Stay safe in the weird weather, y'all! Have a good day!

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 7

Good morning! Super busy day today because it's the last day before my dh leaves tomorrow for the airport at eleven. Also I have to get ready for the potentially bad weather tonight. Good news is my DD1 is out of the hospital. She will have her doctor's appointment on Thursday and baby still on Sunday or Monday.

To do

• Hopefully pt evaluation
  • Ultrasound( multiple) appointment
  • Set up medical alert system
  • Keep up with my medicine which is getting hard - monitorinf Asthma &BP
  • Call some charities that haven't given us a end of year's statement and one that is double billing
  • Find out the status of my Enbrel  order
  • Pick up dh's med plus get lots of waters, etc
  • Get kitchen items rearranged for my needs
  • find out my INR and instructions 
  • Check next door neighbor for good cheap or free tables
  • Research neighboring  Co. Mystery for ds
  •  Conserve Energy - first day w no Medrol

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Like 6

Good morning!  I think your storms are headed our direction, @mommyoffive.  We've got weather tonight through Thursday.

Today:

• coffee
  • tidy house
  • take ds to school
  • tutor
  • finish painting WE bags
  • pick up ds from afterschool program
  • schoolwork
  • dinner...?  I planned chicken, but have 2 sick adults and am not inclined to have them sit at the table with us.
  • wipe down house/disinfect common surfaces
  • take ds to evening activities
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Ordered a couple copies of my UG transcript, in case I end up in a grad school program to get a teacher’s license. Not sure I want to see my GPA; I was not a diligent student, sadly.

I will likely take any decent job I can get. Both of my degrees are in religion/theology and totally useless, as are my decades of experience in children’s ministry. I have a PT job at my church and am not willing to change churches for a job at this point.

Teaching is an obvious choice post-homeschooling, but I don’t have a license or any FT classroom experience. There are several embedded licensure programs here, where I’d be a resident/journeyman teacher and the school would help pay for my tuition. Also possible, long term/permanent subbing, with or without working on licensure. Private and charter schools pay decently. Teaching doesn’t make tons of money, but it is a high-need field and has a good schedule. 

Otoh, teaching has no way up. Something in the business world might have advancement opportunities? Or not.

Ageism is a thing. Being 58 and trying to start over with a real need for the income is crummy. My tech skills are weak and that is a big hindrance. Bought a couple Udemy courses to try to learn some stuff.

We don’t know what life after high school will look like for Ds, but his scores are not high enough to earn the scholarships his sister has, for sure. If he goes to college, it will cost 2x what Dd’s has. 

I was making good money tutoring, but my stream of students has slowed to a trickle. 

I probably need to work FT until age 70, at least. Possible that Dh and I never actually retire, but work at least PT as long as we are physically and mentally able.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Sad 6

a friend of ours does pretty well doing long-term subbing. Of course that's got uncertainty of "will I get called" or not, but...

the resident teaching things, where the schools help pay, are good around here; hopefully there, too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@mommyoffive and @HomeAgain I’m sorry about the storm! 

@TravelingChris, I pray everything goes well while he is gone! 

@ScoutTN, I pray you find the best option for work! We are unsure of our retirement situation mainly because of our move. We took on a bigger mortgage to move near my dad. That’s the opposite of what most people do in their 50s. I love my job, and I’ll make more this coming school year than I ever have. It’s not stable, though. I hope I can keep doing it a long time and it will be enough. If Daddy needs to move in with us, that could change everything. He will contribute financially if he does. 

We saw a few more sights at New River this morning, and we are on our way to Shenandoah! 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got DS going on his psych homework - he has a good handle on it, so that's good

Got the photo done and grad cards ordered - photo below - we captioned it "(His Name's) adding another hat to his collection!" and put all the grad info on the back. So fun!  Will be ready for same-day pick-up shortly, so running out to do my other shopping, and will pick that up, come home, maybe get a nap before tutoring. 

IMG_9199.JPG

• Like 7

Dd got floor tickets and all four kids are thrilled! 

Church stuff was good, but schedule was abbreviated due to bad weather. Picked up Ds early from school.

Next up:
Job stuff
Check in about Homework

Later:
Dinner prep
Figure out some money things. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Got DS going on his psych homework - he has a good handle on it, so that's good

Got the photo done and grad cards ordered - photo below - we captioned it "(His Name's) adding another hat to his collection!" and put all the grad info on the back. So fun!  Will be ready for same-day pick-up shortly, so running out to do my other shopping, and will pick that up, come home, maybe get a nap before tutoring. 

IMG_9199.JPG

You nailed this!!!  Love the backstory to the picture and just the most creative announcement that I have ever seen.

• Like 3

So glad they got tickets, @ScoutTN! yay!!

Picked up the grad invites - they turned out great! The girl at the photo place was very complimentary, too, and DS loved it when I got them home (he previewed on the computer but still). Yay! 

On for tutoring, got the spelling list and printed that, checking the bag now to be sure I have plenty of everything else in case they forget to bring home homework. 

Picked up the stuff for the eclipse and will do some prep stuff for it tonight while we watch TV. 

Folding clothes/eating a snack/watching TV while I rest until time for tutoring later. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

You nailed this!!!  Love the backstory to the picture and just the most creative announcement that I have ever seen.

Thank you! I was very happy DS agreed to go along with it, LOL!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It poured all morning, never stopped and now it is starting to snow.

Getting a nice migraine from this storm, took some meds and hope they work soon.

Oh, I hope you get some relief (from the weather, and from the migraine) soon!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Completed a job application that required a couple of not-short answer questions. 

Suggested to Ds that he do something more than post a text in the team GC about his missing jersey. No jersey = he doesn’t play tomorrow. He needs to contact the AD or coach about getting an extra one in case the kid he thinks has his doesn’t have it or bring it. But mom knows nothing… Possibly tomorrow will be terrible? 🙄😐🥍

ETA: I checked in on Ds’ texts. After being very rude to me, he DID follow up with both a player and a coach about the jersey. Tacit acknowledgment that mom is not an idiot! 🙄😉😆 Whether the missing jersey actually shows up tomorrow remains to be seen. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

It was a nice day for sleeping.  Rainy!  I snuck a nap after work hours.  I wish sleeping was the only thing I had to do on days like this.

I am still working on catching my client work up.  I am making progress, but there is still a lot.  I still have a couple of things I said I'd do "today" which means by tomorrow morning.  Once those are done, I hope to knock out a few more items so I can start tomorrow a little less behind.

Kids are on spring break this week.  I am trying to get them to handle house things that they usually don't do.  I'm not even giving them all of it, but they're feeling wiped out, LOL.  I was tempted to tell them to take out the garbage tomorrow morning, but I'm not up to the fuss.

In addition to catching up and keeping up, I have some things I want to accomplish / get back onto my calendar asap.  Maybe I'll list some things out on tomorrow's post.  So far this break, I really haven't done any of the extras I wanted to do, but there's still time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

@TheReader How do you test eclipse glasses?

oh, ha. I didn't test them, just read alllllll the fine print and looked them up again. My friend's pair ended up saying in the fine print inside "only for use during totality, not during a partial" which wasn't disclosed on the outside.  

You can check the article here for information -- after reading that, I did test them using the indoor and the outdoor tests suggested. Then I also checked the safe vendor site (which is also printed inside the glasses we bought) and they are one of them. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1