Menu

What to do for kids’ cough?

athena1277

My 7yo dd gets the sniffles for a day or 2, then coughs for days (often at least a week).  She had the smallest bit of sniffles Sunday and Monday, so now she’s coughing a lot.  She’s on Zyrtec and Flonase daily because pollen season has arrived and we all have allergies.  I can give her Delsym, but it really doesn’t do anything.  We have a really big event this weekend and she needs to be over this cough.  Getting her in to the pediatrician to get RX cough medicine is difficult lately, as they are always booked up and I don’t want to sit in urgent care and pick up something worse.

What really helps your kids get over a cough?  I’m ready to try just about anything.

Coughs are the worst! Other than the things you already do, we will do hot tea with *lots* of honey. A squeeze of lemon juice too if the child doesn’t mind. Also, a humidifier in the room can help sometimes. 

• Like 1

Dh and I are struggling with that this winter. Tea , honey and lemon help. You can add cinnamon and tumeric.

We are doing  Ricola lozenges when we are out of the house, church etc. it really stops cough for short periods of time. 

36 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Coughs are the worst! Other than the things you already do, we will do hot tea with *lots* of honey. A squeeze of lemon juice too if the child doesn’t mind. Also, a humidifier in the room can help sometimes. 

She doesn’t like tea of any kind.  I’ve tried honey in the past, but it doesn’t last long.

It depends on where the cough is - chest or throat.

Alka-seltzer Cold & Flu works for chest coughs here.  It helps to break up the mucus and tastes like a cold orange drink.  I don't know how low it's rated for, but I was comfortable giving it to ds at age 9. 

Cough drops work otherwise if it's coming from a dry/scratchy throat.  We end up eating a lot of Chinese food, too, when kids are sick, because I can load up noodles with ginger, chilis, etc. and balance it out with a honey-sweetened stir fry dish.

Have you ruled out allergy induced asthma? There are some people who have cough variant asthma who really only have flareups around illness or peak pollen times. The cough resolves if you give a bit of albuterol because the underlying problem is inflammation in the airways.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Have you ruled out allergy induced asthma? There are some people who have cough variant asthma who really only have flareups around illness or peak pollen times. The cough resolves if you give a bit of albuterol because the underlying problem is inflammation in the airways.

I agree that this is worth checking into.

If it's not asthma,  antihistamines work better for me for a persistent cough than anything else. Maybe try xyzal or even benadryl along with or instead of the zyrtec? (Most of my family finds that xyzal works better for us than other antihistamines.)

25 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

There are some people who have cough variant asthma who really only have flareups around illness or peak pollen times.

This. My cough is mainly from hayfever or low humidity, rarely from illness. 

The Flonase nasal spray helped DS19 since he has nasal congestion with hayfever.  My nose on the other hand requires lots of tissues. I am not sure if you are referring to the Flonase nasal spray or the tablet. The Flonase tablet helps me since chlorpheniramine works for me.

Does she know how to use a netipot or other sinus rinse?  That has always helped here to reduce sinus drainage that's causing the sniffles and cough.  My kids always resisted using it until their cough was really bad, because they were just sure they didn't have sinus drainage, but then it helped so much they were sorry they waited.  Once the sinuses are cleared out, you may find the meds you chose may be more effective.  

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I hadn’t thought of that.  Unfortunately, I tried to get her in to the pediatrician, but it would be 2 weeks before I could get her in, so that doesn’t help me right now.  I’m going to have to find her a new doctor as this has happened several times.

Would they be able to diagnose this at urgent care?  If it’s not better tomorrow, I’m going to have to go there.

17 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I hadn’t thought of that.  Unfortunately, I tried to get her in to the pediatrician, but it would be 2 weeks before I could get her in, so that doesn’t help me right now.  I’m going to have to find her a new doctor as this has happened several times.

Would they be able to diagnose this at urgent care?  If it’s not better tomorrow, I’m going to have to go there.

My daughter got an inhaler at urgent care for cough. I have cough variant asthma and she had typical symptoms. They can also give a shot to kick the cough. It will work faster than anything else. You might need to ask to try the inhaler if they don't think of it themselves.

• Like 1

I recently did the hot onion treatment for my ds‘s cough that he‘d had for awhile. Sliced onions thinly, put in paper towel and set on his chest, covered with another paper towel, and placed a hot water bottle on top. He lay there for maybe 10-15 minutes each time. I did this twice one day (once in the morning and once in the late afternoon), and then one more time the next day. and I was amazed at how quickly his cough disappeared. Worth a shot?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, athena1277 said:

They would be able to. My friend’s kid prefers the nebulizer to the inhaler at your daughter’s age when he had to go to urgent care or his pediatrician. 

Update:  She made it through the weekend ok enough, but started back with the runny nose Sunday afternoon.    I talked to a friend this weekend who had a similar experience with a kid who ended up having asthma, so I’m really thinking it has something to do with her coughing.  Took her to urgent care this morning.  The NP we saw said he thought it was just allergies (tree pollen is really bad here right now).  He didn’t think she has asthma and we would have to see the pediatrician if we wanted testing for that.  After talking to dh, we are going to get her switched to our family practice doctor instead of continuing to deal with the problems getting to see the pediatrician .

• Like 3

If you want to try something while you wait to get her in with the new dr., start her on fluticasone nasal spray. It should lessen the runny nose and as it is inhaled it might also clear some of the cough. She’ll have to be off of it if you do allergy testing, but it shouldnt affect peak flow readings or spirometry if they do asthma testing.