Menu

Visiting my mom for her 70th birthday

saraha

We are all at my moms for her 70th birthday. My sister and her boyfriend came down for the weekend. Here’s how it is going so far:

As soon as we walked in the door, she was trying to make my kids finish the leftover food from breakfast and get a cup with a drink. We were all still trying to get jackets and shoes off and sisters dogs were running amok but everyone had to have a muffin or something and a drink right this second. I think it’s because my sister brought a beautiful cake, and she wanted them to eat her leftovers instead of sisters cake.

Got aggravated when my dd16 wrote a silly name on her cup instead of her actual name. Then when she set the cuP down, got a marker and wrote her real name on it

Told us that the doctor gave her street drugs for her back pain because he had to call in her prescription instead of give her a paper one 

I hurt my back this week and am in a lot of discomfort, she was aggravated  because I wouldn’t rub her cream on my back

She just loaded up all of my family (except me), my sister and her boyfriend to go drive past this house 3 BLOCKS AWAY because it looks like the Addams Family house but she told dd19 like 5 times you cannot stop and get anyone out, people live there. I’m pretty sure this is because sister’s new bf had all of the attention on him telling us about some of the things he’s done for his job. (This is only the second time we’ve met him so still getting to know each other)because she interrupted him mid story by saying loudly Oh oh oh until everyone turned to look and then said she wanted to go for a drive.  Dh and boyfriend tried to convince her to let them walk but she said no, it’s too cold we have to drive. It’s 50 degrees. So three cars full of people are about to drive real slow… 

Oh, gotta go, they’re back already!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 6

Mom picked the Chinese buffet for her dinner. We had planned to have the four grownups sit all around her so she can’t get to control the kids plates. She had everyone sit down and then she got up, walked to a different seat and made that kid trade seats with her and she has been trying to influence everyone’s plates. I think I have said at least 5 times so far, you guys are plenty old enough to eat whatever you want

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Ok, so this was really funny. I guess earlier, before we got there, mom told my sister that she wanted to go to the Chinese buffet for dinner. Sisters boyfriend said all right, I love Chinese food. I guess she jokingly said nope, you cannot be happier than me, it’s my birthday. Fast forward to dinner and mom asks him if he is enjoying himself and he says yes. She says very loudly, we’ll stop it.

The entire table went deathly silent because we weren’t in on this particular joke. I look at my mom with what I am sure is the craziest look and she says what? no one’s allowed to be happier than me on my birthday. More silence and then my sister starts laughing and tells us about their earlier conversation.

As we are finishing dinner and reading fortune cookies, my sister sends out a text to all of us that says, we’re going to sing, show this to your neighbor. And here is what we sang 

Happy birthday to just you, Happy birthday to just you, no one is happy right noowww, no one happy but you.

Then they all clapped! People at the restaurant were staring at us, but she just laughed, stood up and took a bow!

Edited by saraha
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Oh for heavens sake, she is standing outside the bathroom door waiting for me to come out! (She has her own bathroom)

ETA she was waiting for me to come out so she could show me some clothes she bought but decided she didn’t want, but I was hiding in their typing to you guys!

Edited by saraha
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, saraha said:

Ok, so this was really funny. I guess earlier, before we got there, mom told my sister that she wanted to go to the Chinese buffet for dinner. Sisters boyfriend said all right, I love Chinese food. I guess she jokingly said nope, you cannot be happier than me, it’s my birthday. Fast forward to dinner and mom asks him if he is enjoying himself and he says yes. She says very loudly, we’ll stop it.

The entire table went deathly silent because we weren’t in on this particular joke. I look at my mom with what I am sure is the craziest look and she says what? no one’s allowed to be happier than me on my birthday. More silence and then my sister starts laughing and tells us about their earlier conversation.

As we are finishing dinner and reading fortune cookies, my sister sends out a text to all of us that says, we’re going to sing, show this to your neighbor. And here is what we sang 

Happy birthday to just you, Happy birthday to just you, no one is happy right noowww, no one happy but you.

Then they all clapped! People at the restaurant were staring at us, but she just laughed, stood up and took a bow!

If you ever write a book, this story needs to make it in.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

This visit counts as her birthday and Easter, so next visit will be thanksgiving!

I think this counts as birthday, Easter, Thanksgiving AND Christmas. 

😂 I love your bathroom texts. Sorry you have to live through it for our entertainment. The image of you texting in the bathroom with your mom outside 😂 😂 😂 

Edited by freesia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, saraha said:

Oh for heavens sake, she is standing outside the bathroom door waiting for me to come out! (She has her own bathroom)

ETA she was waiting for me to come out so she could show me some clothes she bought but decided she didn’t want, but I was hiding in their typing to you guys!

I think this is my favorite!  😛 She sounds exhausting to everyone including herself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Saraha, at least your mom stood outside the door and waited, lol. 🤪 The last time I went to my mom’s, she bolted the door opened as soon as she heard me flush. She said she just couldn’t wait. She had to go. As I began to walk out, she said, it’s okay I don’t mind if you see me pee! 😐 🙄🫨I guess you just gotta laugh?

Also… same day….she held a bag of snap pea crisps in front of my 25 year old son’s face and asked if he wanted any. He told her 3 times that he didn’t. She still kept on ….I finally said …he doesn’t want any!

My mom’s birthday is next week!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We’re home now, successfully avoided having to bring home the remaining cake. Only had to refuse her cream two more times (why on earth won’t you just use my cream?!?) and only left with three old dish towels, a cake saver she doesn’t want anymore with brownies she made earlier in the week, and two gallons of Hawaiian punch

Over all, definitely one of our better visits!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 9