Menu

Love to watch geese fly!

sheryl

Just wondering if there is anyone else here who loves to watch geese fly?  I love to watch their "V" formation and love the "honking" they do (keeps other birds in correct position when flying) 🙂

LOVE THIS!!!  

• Like 10

I do, so much.  I've been known to pull over on the highway and quick roll down my window to hear them.  It's magical.  Also love the V and love to think about how far they will fly together as a team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

I do, so much.  I've been known to pull over on the highway and quick roll down my window to hear them.  It's magical.  Also love the V and love to think about how far they will fly together as a team.

YES! AGREE!  Same here.  I could watch/listen to them for hours.daily.and not tire of it!!!  I have a feeling you understand!   🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The wild canadian geese in my neighborhood loves swimming in my condo pool 🤣They fly over the gates.

Ohh, that's wonderful.  I get to see Canada geese now and then and just love it!   

• Like 1

Oooh, yes, love to see/hear them fly. We stop whatever we are doing and watch.I love, love, love when they circle our pond, honking, and splash down in the evening.

One year, the beavers built a beautiful dam on a tiny island in the middle, and there ensued an enormous battle between geese and beavers. Bet you can guess who won and had a perfect nesting spot!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Oooh, yes, love to see/hear them fly. We stop whatever we are doing and watch.I love, love, love when they circle our pond, honking, and splash down in the evening.

One year, the beavers built a beautiful dam on a tiny island in the middle, and there ensued an enormous battle between geese and beavers. Bet you can guess who won and had a perfect nesting spot!

Yay!  Isn't it great!  I just don't tire to watching the "v" and listening to them.  Wow, really beavers vs. geese?  

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yay!  Isn't it great!  I just don't tire to watching the "v" and listening to them.  Wow, really beavers vs. geese?  

It is! There’s something about listening to them that feels nostalgic. Love it.

Yes, the goose/beaver war was wild. Lots of honking and splashing. The beavers made a new home after that. 

I also get a kick out of seeing turtles basking in the sun, doing their turtle yoga. That always makes me stop and pause, too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

It is! There’s something about listening to them that feels nostalgic. Love it.

Yes, the goose/beaver war was wild. Lots of honking and splashing. The beavers made a new home after that. 

I also get a kick out of seeing turtles basking in the sun, doing their turtle yoga. That always makes me stop and pause, too. 

Ohhhh, I totally agree with the geese!  For some reason I love that honking.  I'm so glad there are a few of us on wtm like love this!  🙂  I hope there were no injuries.   I had 2 little turtle pins growing up that I used to wear.   I just looked and I still have them from childhood!  LOL!  

• Like 3

No. But...I grew up in a place that is known for its Canada geese.  Going to church we had to watch where we stepped because our church was right near a river they liked. And nobody wants goose sh!t on their shoes in church. So I'm much more drawn to other wildlife these days. Also...they are vicious.

Honestly, I barely notice geese anymore. Growing up with so much of them/their noise makes me just tune it out.

• Like 3

I see a lot of Canada geese, they are cool in flight but they fly right over honking at dawn (sometimes middle of the night!) either landing or taking off in the lake behind my house. I like to sleep with my bedroom window open so I can hear owls at night, but I do t like being awakened by the geese so I can’t say I love them lol. 

I am fascinated by snow geese, how high they fly and in such great numbers. 

@sheryl I bet you’d really love to see a squadron of pelicans. They fly in much more precise formation than geese, truly amazing. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, barnwife said:

No. But...I grew up in a place that is known for its Canada geese.  Going to church we had to watch where we stepped because our church was right near a river they liked. And nobody wants goose sh!t on their shoes in church. So I'm much more drawn to other wildlife these days. Also...they are vicious.

Honestly, I barely notice geese anymore. Growing up with so much of them/their noise makes me just tune it out.

I'm sorry!   I think it's a beautiful sight and sound.  Our church is 2 miles away and in a development where there is a pond and tons of Canada geese.  There are droppings everywhere.  We just step around.  🙂   Our greenway is about 3 miles away and runs next to a wooden, undisturbed area with a natural body of water.  Needless to say, on walks we see/hear these beautiful creatures.  The other day dh and I were walking our dog and the birds were socializing.   DH kept walking Shiloh and I stopped to marvel at the sounds.   Love it! 

7 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I see a lot of Canada geese, they are cool in flight but they fly right over honking at dawn (sometimes middle of the night!) either landing or taking off in the lake behind my house. I like to sleep with my bedroom window open so I can hear owls at night, but I do t like being awakened by the geese so I can’t say I love them lol. 

I am fascinated by snow geese, how high they fly and in such great numbers. 

@sheryl I bet you’d really love to see a squadron of pelicans. They fly in much more precise formation than geese, truly amazing. 

Sure, we need our sleep. If it's nightly or near that I can see where that would be a hinderance.  Funny, we have owls in our tree or neighbor's tree.  I can't stand the sound of them.  It's ok but I really don't care for them.  Don't know why.  I think it "may" be because they sound like they are always fighting which I know isn't the case but still the sound.  Yes, I enjoy pelicans too but the Canada geese are just special.    

I do enjoy the sounds and sights of Canada geese. In the early spring, it always makes me excited as it means summer is on its way. Being Canadian, I have a soft spot for the Canada goose, though do give the parents lots of space when they are protecting their young. I think they are probably the most rude Canadians around. They are pretty aggressive and they never say 'Sorry.' 😅

I totally agree with a PP about pelican flight formations! I was just down in Costa Rica, and loved watching the pelicans glide and maneuver in a single strand of perfectly synchronized formation. They are incredibly graceful. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I do enjoy the sounds and sights of Canada geese. In the early spring, it always makes me excited as it means summer is on its way. Being Canadian, I have a soft spot for the Canada goose, though do give the parents lots of space when they are protecting their young. I think they are probably the most rude Canadians around. They are pretty aggressive and they never say 'Sorry.' 😅

I totally agree with a PP about pelican flight formations! I was just down in Costa Rica, and loved watching the pelicans glide and maneuver in a single strand of perfectly synchronized formation. They are incredibly graceful. 

Yes, I've seen that but there is just something about the "v".  And, I love their loud greetings!  LOL!  Like Canada! Met a man at the dog park yesterday, from Canada.  Such a lovely country to our north.  

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

I have seen pairs flying overhead recently. Maybe just going from one pond to another? 

Maybe.  ?  They are "snowbirds" LOL.  They fly south for the winter and return north to Canada in spring/early summer.  

12 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Maybe.  ?  They are "snowbirds" LOL.  They fly south for the winter and return north to Canada in spring/early summer.  

The Canada geese are year round in California.  In some areas there are so many of them that they became a nuisance. They can occupy an entire football/soccer field.

https://calrice.org/california-geese-101/
“Throughout the year, there are six different species of geese that can commonly be found in California. ... With the exception of Canada Geese, which can be found in California year-round, all of these geese spend their summer in Alaska, Northern Canada, and the Arctic only migrating down to California in the winter.”

https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2007/08/16/get-our-goose/
“Years ago the Canada geese came to Shoreline Park. They never left.

The birds, as many as 800 of them, leave large droppings. And by abandoning their parents’ migratory ways, these geese have created a year-round problem for golfers and other users of Shoreline Park.”

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The Canada geese are year round in California.  In some areas there are so many of them that they became a nuisance. They can occupy an entire football/soccer field.

https://calrice.org/california-geese-101/
“Throughout the year, there are six different species of geese that can commonly be found in California. ... With the exception of Canada Geese, which can be found in California year-round, all of these geese spend their summer in Alaska, Northern Canada, and the Arctic only migrating down to California in the winter.”

https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2007/08/16/get-our-goose/
“Years ago the Canada geese came to Shoreline Park. They never left.

The birds, as many as 800 of them, leave large droppings. And by abandoning their parents’ migratory ways, these geese have created a year-round problem for golfers and other users of Shoreline Park.”

Hmm.  Different sources, different info.  But, we live in NC, almost SC and Canada geese are common!  

Canada Goose Range Map, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Canada geese are known for their seasonal migrations. Most Canada geese have staging or resting areas where they join up with others. Their autumn migration can be seen from September to the beginning of November.[citation needed][42] The early migrants have a tendency to spend less time at rest stops and go through the migration much faster. The later birds usually spend more time at rest stops. Some geese return to the same nesting ground year after year and lay eggs with their mate, raising them in the same way each year. This is recorded from the many tagged geese which frequent the East Coast.

Canada geese fly in a distinctive V-shaped flight formation, with an altitude of 1 km (3,000 feet) for migration flight. The maximum flight ceiling of Canada geese is unknown, but they have been reported at 9 km (29,000 feet).[43]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Hmm.  Different sources, different info.  But, we live in NC, almost SC and Canada geese are common! 

Maybe they are too pampered here so they stay put. I am at approximately 37.3541° N

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Some migrate, but many, many are year-round here in middle TN. I see them often on or near ponds in housing developments and city parks, all year long. 

Edited by ScoutTN

45 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Some migrate, but many, many are year-round here in middle TN. I see them often on or near ponds in housing developments and city parks, all year long. 

Yeah, year round here too!  🙂 Love it!

I love watching them too…..and want them to keep flying.  Our area is so over run with them.  They chase people, poop everywhere. Dirty the water.

the are beautiful to watch though.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I love watching them too…..and want them to keep flying.  Our area is so over run with them.  They chase people, poop everywhere. Dirty the water.

the are beautiful to watch though.

I know they are messy but oh well.  🙂 

• Like 1

Eos, Spryte and WIntermom especially, read this!  

The collective noun for a group of geese on the ground is a gaggle; when in flight, they arecalled a skein, a team, or a wedge; when flying close together, they are called a plump.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sheryl said:

Eos, Spryte and WIntermom especially, read this!  

The collective noun for a group of geese on the ground is a gaggle; when in flight, they arecalled a skein, a team, or a wedge; when flying close together, they are called a plump.

Oh my, I will call them a skein, that is perfect. A plump fits too when they are all bunched up and haven't sorted out their formation.  Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

Oh my, I will call them a skein, that is perfect. A plump fits too when they are all bunched up and haven't sorted out their formation.  Thank you!

I just thought it was cute.  Like, look at that little gaggle.   LOL!!!  

Love watching geese migrate each year

BUT

this year the migration V seems to be so much larger - I counted at least 75 in one V last week - the same or more for the past 3-4 weeks

Any ideas way so many more and in such a large number than in years past?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Myra said:

They are a protected species. The population grew so big here the federal agencies probably had to step in. They can pose a danger to aviation.

https://4pawsgoosecontrol.com/regulations/

“While the Treaty refers to migratory birds, the statutes also apply to resident Canada geese. In 2006/2007, the Service addressed concerns of some states for the growing populations of resident Canada geese and implemented rules to allow some states more flexibility in their geese management, including depredation orders for airport and agricultural needs.

Still, all Canada geese are federally and state protected and require permits for the “taking” (gathering & relocation or killing) of these birds, including their nests and eggs.

In 2009, the Service implemented an Internet registration for federal permitting for resident Canada geese nest and egg destruction. Most California property owners, including those in the Sacramento area, also need a state permit to destroy Canada geese nests and eggs.”

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Why-did-the-United-States-Department-of-Agriculture-euthanized-geese-in-my-local-area

“It is important to understand that many areas of the United States are not traditional nesting regions for Canada geese. Wildlife management agencies indicate that there is an overpopulation of these birds in many metropolitan areas, which can create a threat to public health and safety. Goose droppings can contain pathogenic bacteria-such as campylobacter, chlamydia, cryptosporidium, Escherichia coli, giardia, listeria, and salmonella, and geese have been implicated in the transmission of these diseases. Feces from large flocks are also major contributors to fecal coliform levels in reservoirs that supply drinking water for some cities, and can directly contaminate agricultural fields and surface waters used for recreation and crop irrigation. In addition, aggressive geese have been known to attack members of the public.

Flocks of geese can endanger aircraft moving on or near airports. The Federal Aviation Administration reported 64 Canada goose strikes at airports in New York between 2001-2010--including the strike that caused the emergency landing of US Airways Flight 1549 in January 2009--and 48 strikes between 2011-2020.  Of the 1,910 reported goose strikes nationally to civil aircraft between 1990 and 2020, 48 percent caused damage to aircraft. Overall, the number of damaging strikes has declined, in part due to the development and use of wildlife hazard management plans at airports. Canada geese also cause direct damage to agriculture and the environment by grazing, which can erode agricultural fields and destroy natural resources such as restored tidal wetlands.“

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Myra said:

Love watching geese migrate each year

BUT

this year the migration V seems to be so much larger - I counted at least 75 in one V last week - the same or more for the past 3-4 weeks

Another Canada geese lover.  YAY!  No I don't know why.  That's a large wedge or plump.  LOL.   Read above.   If you find out, share! 

• Like 1