Menu

~~~~~~~March Frugalistas~~~~~~~

Condessa

I'll get things started here.

I have been tracking our medical mileage as we go along since the start of the year for taxes, and I can see that I must have been missing a lot of miles with my prior efforts to work out mileage after the fact.  We drove over 1,000 miles for medical care in the first two months of the year, and that is with ds currently off treatment!  

I am itching to order seeds for the spring and at the same time resisting, because I don't want to commit myself to too much gardening for so soon after the baby comes.

The farm supply store had a sale the other day where everything was 10% off.  I went and bought as much chicken feed as I can fit in my feed bin with gift cards I bought there in December when they had a $30 gift card for $25 sale.  We now have chicken feed for the next two months and I calculate that I am currently getting my eggs for about $0.92 per dozen in feed costs, pretty good when the cheapest store bought eggs are nearly $3/dozen right now. 

We currently eat all the eggs our chickens produce, but I have chicks coming in June.  Because there is a minimum order size, we will have more chickens with the next generation than currently, and I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to see if any of the neighbors are interested in buying eggs once the new batch starts laying.  They will be very pretty eggs, with some interesting colors.  Selling our extra eggs might be a great little project for one of the kids to take on to help save up towards college. 

• Like 4

We have been eating out of the pantry and freezer since dh was laid off—using up our stash in anticipation of needing to move when dh finds a new job. I have been buying only milk, eggs, and some fresh produce—about $75/week. 

We need to finish buying materials for and then installing our hardwood stairs and do some other minor repairs (rusty bathroom light fixtures, touch up paint, some corroding bath drains) to get the house market ready. I had always (until last fall) kept our house close to market ready but I got so tired of the fix up the house grind…kinda regretting letting that stack up now, but it is what it is. I had really hoped this was our forever house. 🥺

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

OH I miss getting chicks!  So cute.  How many chickens do you have now and how many are you getting?  What breeds do you have?  So neat that you calculated how much your dozen eggs are.

I currently have seven from the local feed store-they were hybrids I think called Golden Comets.  I have fifteen chicks coming this summer from the hatchery, and I have Cream Legbars, Whiting True Blues, Cuckoo Marans, Light Brahmas, and Egyptian Fayoumis coming.  I am looking forward to playing with chicken genetics in future generations.

• Like 2

We got our tax refund today, which is always really large because of the child tax credit even though we don't have any federal taxes taken from our paychecks. $5000 of it went into my RothIRA, $2000 went to sinking funds, and the rest is just sitting waiting to figure out what we're doing with it.

The rest of March should be a close to zero spend month, minus a few b-day gifts we need to get for nieces.

• Like 3

I tried a new recipe and made colcannon for dinner last night.  It worked out to $7.75 for the family, and we’re eating the leftovers now for lunch.  It is an especially good one for getting extra calories into my underweight kid, so probably not one I should eat too often, myself.

• Like 1

@hjffkj Awww Congrats to her, they were both really good.  The second piece was so fun to watch.  Is she done with competitions for the weekend and just doing master classes?  Are you thinking of sending her away this summer?  Good luck to her this weekend!  I hope she places well.

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@hjffkj Awww Congrats to her, they were both really good.  The second piece was so fun to watch.  Is she done with competitions for the weekend and just doing master classes?  Are you thinking of sending her away this summer?  Good luck to her this weekend!  I hope she places well.

She is done with competitions for the weekend. Great to get it out of the way on day 1. Now just masterclasses.

It is up to her if she wants to go away this summer or not. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to yet, which I'm happy with. She may choose a different school to do intensives at though. The only thing she's specifically mentioned is The Rock School because they do partnering and her school's intensives don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

She is done with competitions for the weekend. Great to get it out of the way on day 1. Now just masterclasses.

It is up to her if she wants to go away this summer or not. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to yet, which I'm happy with. She may choose a different school to do intensives at though. The only thing she's specifically mentioned is The Rock School because they do partnering and her school's intensives don't.

Sounds great to get it out of the way first and just enjoy the rest of the weekend.  Good luck to her.  Keep me posted on her summer plans. We just got done with our audition season and all the twists and turns of it, now I can enjoy other people's journeys because the stress of ours is over.  

Do your younger kids want to compete too? 

We were thinking about doing competitions but the cost to do it was high and then doing that for 5 kids was just nuts.  So we focused on auditions which also really added up for all of them.  But we are really glad we made that choice.  Maybe someday we will do competitions.  

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Sounds great to get it out of the way first and just enjoy the rest of the weekend.  Good luck to her.  Keep me posted on her summer plans. We just got done with our audition season and all the twists and turns of it, now I can enjoy other people's journeys because the stress of ours is over.  

Do your younger kids want to compete too? 

We were thinking about doing competitions but the cost to do it was high and then doing that for 5 kids was just nuts.  So we focused on auditions which also really added up for all of them.  But we are really glad we made that choice.  Maybe someday we will do competitions.  

I'll keep you posted.  Hope your kids get into the intensives they're hoping for.  

Only one of my other kids dances. She is 9 and I won't let her compete until 13 at the earliest just because that is what I did for her older sister.  My oldest just wanted to try competing and thankfully we got that contemporary piece choreographed and coached for free, so it made competing much more affordable. 

I certainly don't want to get caught up in the crazy competition schedule some dancers do, and dd doesn't want that either.  But we may be ok with her doing 1 a year if she wants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh got a raise. Double what he used to get.  His bonus is now paid out 4 times a year instead of just once a year so March isn't as big of a deal to us. 

We need to get our taxes done.

Woo to the Hoo!!!

• Like 1

We’re getting to the “unusual combinations” phase of eating up our freezer. I am trying to have good meals a couple of times a week to break up the monotony of the rest. Anyway, one of our unusual “good meal” combos was salmon tacos on Friday where I chopped up the remainder of a bag of mango frozen chunks with the leftovers of red onion and red pepper and cilantro from meals earlier in the week with a bit of lime juice. It was really, really good! 

I will say, three weeks in, that at the point in which we rebuild our food pantry and freezer stock, I am going to stock it differently. I will choose more variety and more “easy meal” options. It turns out that going through stressful and busy times is not a great time to take on a lot of kitchen prep….which should have been intuitive but not something I calculated around in a mid-term length scenario. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Dd placed 9th overall in her division. She is pleased with that for her first competition. I just hope it is her last 😂

Quoting again.  Why do you hope it is her last?  Did you not like competition dance?  Did you not like this competition?  Is it the same one she did the master class at last year?  My girls were wondering which competition it was?   No worries if you don't want to answer that.   Just hoping to get some inside info on doing competitions.   There was a whole "thing" about it this year at their studio.  

36 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Quoting again.  Why do you hope it is her last?  Did you not like competition dance?  Did you not like this competition?  Is it the same one she did the master class at last year?  My girls were wondering which competition it was?   No worries if you don't want to answer that.   Just hoping to get some inside info on doing competitions.   There was a whole "thing" about it this year at their studio.  

So, I sort of hope it is the last one because I don't want to get sucked up into the world of competitions. Although, I see the value of her doing 1 a year because is did push her in a different sort of way compared to performances.

It is the same one as she did the masterclass last year. And it isn't that I don't like it. 

The competition was National Ballet Competition. And I actually thought it was a great one to start with instead of YAGP Philly because it was her home stage, where she does all her dances with the company so she knows it well and could take the aspect of anxiety out of the equation.  

I don't know much about competitions so I don't know how important they are for someone who wants to go professional. I imagine if you ask ten people you'll get ten different answers.

• Like 1

I found a bag of cooked and shredded chipotle spiced chicken and a bag of dried white beans so I threw together some white chicken chili tonight. I still have a bazillion cans of Rotel to get through, but I am slowly using them up.

I finished up a jar of peanut butter by making peanut butter cookies for dessert. 

I am down to a lot of frozen chicken in the freezer and 6-7 pounds of pork sausage. I need to dig around a bit in my recipe stash and find some very different tasting recipes to keep us from burning out on chicken, rice, and beans.

• Like 2

I had a window cracked in the living room today because the plague has been running through the house (all four kids at this point) and the wind caught the curtain and knocked over our table lamp.  The ceramic base broke into three pieces.  I've tried supergluing it and taping it to hold in place while the glue cures, but...ugh.  I had looked for years for that lamp base, saved up to get it, and now it's broken. It's so disappointing. 

On a frugal win, I went to the dollar store today to look for zinnia seeds. What they had for sale was 50% filler (listed in fine detail on the back) so I walked down to the nearby hardware store. They had what I was looking for, half off. I paid $.40 for a packet of zinnia seeds. The Zinnias seem to really bring in the honey bees...so hopefully we'll get some good pollination going.  We've decided to garden up until we know we are listing the house for sure....then we'll pull it up and cover it with mulch.  The tech job market is super bleak right now, though, so we may be in for a longer haul of unemployment. Dh's never been laid off before, so this feels like unknown territory.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Well, March is not shaping up well. I feel like sticking my head in a sand bank somewhere.

The minivan died last night. As it is a 2005, DH has deemed it completely dead. DH did make it home safely, and the dead car is now sitting in the garage. I honestly don't know what we're going to do about replacing it.

Both DD's at home are in desperate need of clothing. We went out last weekend and hit all of the thrift stores/consignment shops and got some stuff for middle. She still has some other needs, but I don't know if that stuff will have to wait. Younger needs clothing too, but she works every Saturday. So, I've got to find time (and money) to get her out to the stores soon.

I thought I had til May to pay for online classes to get the discount. Nope, writing for youngest (will be a senior next year) has their early bird sale in March. CLRC (foreign language class) has until May.

DH has been having neck pain and found out he has some degenerative stuff going on. He's currently in PT which falls under deductible amounts, so I'm dreading the bills. 

Youngest's new medication is $150 per month (was $300 for the initial month last month).

Our oven died 2 weeks ago - we purchased a toaster oven for the time being. The piece to fix it is about $200; it may be time to replace as it's 18 years old.

Our rent increases 9% on April 1. 

We did have a road trip planned to see the eclipse early next month; that is on the chopping block in order to cover some of these bills. There's about a thousand in VRBO and set aside savings for it, so I can cover something with those funds.

On a happier note:

DH was able to fix our dryer for $30ish and a Saturday afternoon.

One of my jobs is likely to hire me full-time just as Youngest graduates (about 18 months) if their current building project comes to fruition, so I probably will roll right into that. 

• Sad 7

March is turning out to be quite an expensive month.  But so much of it is wasteful spending that isn't worth it, so we've got to reel that back in. I've got some hefty savings goals for this year that I'd really like to accomplish so I need to stop wasting money on unimportant things.  So, the goal for the rest of the month is $500 for groceries and any essentials. And that is it. 

I'm also thinking about selling a few things just to sock a few hundred in savings to make up for the overspending.  We'll see.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

6 weeks!!! Dd13's pointe shoes lasted 6 freaking weeks! I'm so over the expense of dance.

Sing it sister.  What brand does she wear?   Was she doing a show?    I think last summer my 2 older girls were going through a pair a week at intensives.   Does she jet glue them?  Does she rotate pairs? 

Edited by mommyoffive

It's been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week complete with broken appliances, a kid needing some major medical stuff that will be an ongoing thing, surprise tax bills, and more....about $45k worth of crap all hitting in one week.....all while dh is still searching for a job.

I'm just so over it.

On a happy note, we finally got the solar company (6 months later) to replace the panel still under warranty that had a diode go bad. We fixed our broken vacuum with only $14 worth of parts (the oven and washing machine parts are more $$$ so just living with those issues for now). 

But mostly, I am so over it all. I feel like I need to burn sage in the house to get rid of whatever bad vibe has been hanging around for the last month. 

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sing it sister.  What brand does she wear?   Was she doing a show?    I think last summer my 2 older girls were going through a pair a week at intensives.  

Capezio. She has tried many brands and these are so far the best for her feet. This is the first time that they wore out in the box. She had the competition and is in rehearsals for a show that is in 3 weeks.

I'm not ready for her to go through a pair a week! I don't know how I'll be able to continue to justify the expense

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Capezio. She has tried many brands and these are so far the best for her feet. This is the first time that they wore out in the box. She had the competition and is in rehearsals for a show that is in 3 weeks.

I'm not ready for her to go through a pair a week! I don't know how I'll be able to continue to justify the expense

Yeah, I think it steps up as they get older and spend more time on pointe instead of flat.   There 1000% is no justification for the amount we spend on ballet!  But yeah.  I just try to enjoy the ride and know that they are studying something they love. 

Jet glue and more than one pair so you can rotate them and let one pair fully dry out before wearing it again.   Does she take them out of her bag and let them air out?  My kids put desiccant packs in them to get as much moisture out.

49 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Jet glue and more than one pair so you can rotate them and let one pair fully dry out before wearing it again.   Does she take them out of her bag and let them air out?  My kids put desiccant packs in them to get as much moisture out.

Yeah, I think her feet may finally be done growing or near done so I may start doing 2 pairs at a time.  Desiccant packs is a great idea.  She does not take them out of her bag and kept scoffing at me when I'd tell her to.  But tonight when she showed me her shoes I told her that she needed to start taking better care of her shoes and make sure they have a chance to dry out. Because while I understand 6 weeks is probably reasonable for her I also know she could have taken better care of them.  And if she isn't willing to do that then I won't be willing to replace them every 6 weeks.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:42 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

It's been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week complete with broken appliances, a kid needing some major medical stuff that will be an ongoing thing, surprise tax bills, and more....about $45k worth of crap all hitting in one week.....all while dh is still searching for a job.

I'm just so over it.

On a happy note, we finally got the solar company (6 months later) to replace the panel still under warranty that had a diode go bad. We fixed our broken vacuum with only $14 worth of parts (the oven and washing machine parts are more $$$ so just living with those issues for now). 

But mostly, I am so over it all. I feel like I need to burn sage in the house to get rid of whatever bad vibe has been hanging around for the last month. 

I’m sorry, I hope things improve quickly for your dc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Dollar Tree yesterday. Many things were still $1.25, but there were several that were higher…nearly all food items, and a lot of the cleaning stuff. Dollar Tree is a good deal here only for a limited number of things; price per ounce calculations show most things are more expensive than at regular grocery stores. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I was in Dollar Tree yesterday. Many things were still $1.25, but there were several that were higher…nearly all food items, and a lot of the cleaning stuff. Dollar Tree is a good deal here only for a limited number of things; price per ounce calculations show most things are more expensive than at regular grocery stores. 

Agree. The things that are great for me are body wash, shampoo and conditioner, balloons (although they have been jacked up), bleach, and some food items.  

Ugh! I hate the Dollar Tree.  Only because my kids love it and still forget that nothing is a dollar anymore.  So, now when they ask to go I remind them and then usually they still want to go and then get disappointed when we're there.

• Like 1

So, our spending has gotten quite out of control.  Nothing that puts us in debt or hurts our retirement savings.  But it has hurt our savings for other things.  We have decided to just be really drastic about it and are no longer using our credit cards, even though we can always pay them off every month.  And we're switching to cash for a few categories we struggle with so when the cash is gone we have the visual reminder that any more is overspending.  

We'll implement it on April 1st, but I've got to go to the bank to get the cash out tomorrow on payday. Wish us luck.  We've never really stuck to a budget too well other than never going into debt.  But we really need to be more intentional with our savings.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I thought this group might be interested.  I've been doing surveys with Pinecone research for many many years.  They usually take me about 20 minutes or less and I earn $3.  Sometimes I get free products to try, but rarely.  I don't think I'm a great match for them now that my kids are all grown and out of the house.  Anyway, they sent me an offer this morning that if I refer other people using this link I could earn points for up to 5 people who sign up.  At least two of my kids are signing up.  The link shows $1/survey and trying out products, so it seems different than what I'm doing now.  

If I shouldn't be posting this, please let me know and I'll delete.  I don't want to be spamming or anything - especially for $3 or less!  😛  

here's the referral link:
https://join.pineconeresearch.com/#/signup/?_dataParams=xm+cj2xqyyMfIi7eKtj2bYO87Hh+zbf+yLXcI8NTvMuLvWujQEvQbrsBsOHEqyVX

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:50 AM, historically accurate said:

Well, March is not shaping up well. I feel like sticking my head in a sand bank somewhere.

The minivan died last night. As it is a 2005, DH has deemed it completely dead. DH did make it home safely, and the dead car is now sitting in the garage. I honestly don't know what we're going to do about replacing it.

Both DD's at home are in desperate need of clothing. We went out last weekend and hit all of the thrift stores/consignment shops and got some stuff for middle. She still has some other needs, but I don't know if that stuff will have to wait. Younger needs clothing too, but she works every Saturday. So, I've got to find time (and money) to get her out to the stores soon.

I thought I had til May to pay for online classes to get the discount. Nope, writing for youngest (will be a senior next year) has their early bird sale in March. CLRC (foreign language class) has until May.

DH has been having neck pain and found out he has some degenerative stuff going on. He's currently in PT which falls under deductible amounts, so I'm dreading the bills. 

Youngest's new medication is $150 per month (was $300 for the initial month last month).

Our oven died 2 weeks ago - we purchased a toaster oven for the time being. The piece to fix it is about $200; it may be time to replace as it's 18 years old.

Our rent increases 9% on April 1. 

We did have a road trip planned to see the eclipse early next month; that is on the chopping block in order to cover some of these bills. There's about a thousand in VRBO and set aside savings for it, so I can cover something with those funds.

On a happier note:

DH was able to fix our dryer for $30ish and a Saturday afternoon.

One of my jobs is likely to hire me full-time just as Youngest graduates (about 18 months) if their current building project comes to fruition, so I probably will roll right into that. 

Quoting myself - it's been a while since I got hit with all of these crazy expenses, and I have been working more and trying to figure out the finances so I've been MIA. Thought I would come back and update. We are making some progress. Ugh, the budget is going to be so tight the next 6 or so months.

First and foremost, DH, with my uncle's help, resurrected the minivan. It's now on the list to replace, but we're hopeful we can save up some cash first. 

I spent $600!!! in clothing this month, and Youngest still needs summer shirts. We've hit all the thrift and consignment stores, and now I have to go to the mall. 

Got the first bill for DH's PT. Will be working on getting that paid in April.

Another month paid of Youngest's medication. 

Toaster oven is working out. Just have to think about not doing a large batch of anything. The oven is on the replacement list, but not at the top yet.

Rent increase is going through this Monday, but we have that money already set aside.

We did cancel our VRBO, and we got the cash back really fast. I'm really sad that we are not going, but the money was very helpful this month.

Dryer still working. 

Still on track at work for taking over the new Maker Space in 18 months. I was able to fight for and get my assistant a really nice raise this year; she's like truly a superstar. So I'm pretty happy about that. My raise is not looking too shabby either (although that won't kick in until July).

DH and I cancelled our 401k/pension contributions for the next few months, so we will have some extra funds to cover some of these expenses. 

• Like 3

@Kassia If you like doing surveys have you checked out Crowdtap?  I know there are tons of other survey sites, but I don't know the lowdown on them.  

Have you done any online focus groups?

https://www.focusgroup.com/

and 

https://www.recruitandfield.com/

Are 2 legit online focus groups.

This is a good starting point.

https://www.makingsenseofcents.com/2023/11/surveys-for-gift-cards.html

https://www.makingsenseofcents.com/2023/09/surveys-that-pay-cash-instantly.html

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Thanks 1

@mommyoffive I don't know if I've used any of those.  I'll check and see.  I've signed up for several different places in the past, but most didn't seem worth my time since I'd frequently start a survey and then find out I didn't qualify.  I've been doing pinecone for a long time and yougov for a while too.  Are the ones you linked ones you use?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

@mommyoffive I don't know if I've used any of those.  I'll check and see.  I've signed up for several different places in the past, but most didn't seem worth my time since I'd frequently start a survey and then find out I didn't qualify.  I've been doing pinecone for a long time and yougov for a while too.  Are the ones you linked ones you use?  

I hate those ones.

• Like 1

I have 4 checked bag size suitcases in my DH's office that we paid a whopping $8 total for!   Most of them were free.   Two TravelPro suitcases and two Samsonites.   

And this board helped me finish my purchasing for the orphanage!   WhooHoo!

I need to be a bit frugal for the next 3 months to save for our big trip.   I. have already paid for our airline tickets.

• Like 1