Menu

Well-Trained Bodies March

Soror

I have stuck to 10,000 steps per day since Jan 1 and am mostly walking early in the morning as it's been pretty hot. Not doing much else apart from stretches - it has been super busy. I do lift a lot at work (and my arm muscles are starting to show it). I have lost more than 5kg since the beginning of the year, mostly around the waist which is good I think. I need to lost 10 more kg to move out of obese range and 20 more to move to healthy weight. 

• Like 8

I'm walking about four miles each day here at my mom's and did an arms video yesterday with my new weights. My oldest sister is arriving today which will add stress, so I'm expecting to start walking and training even more. 🌚

Edited by Eos
  • Like 6

@Harriet Vane Glad you were able to get outdoors, but sorry you're still tired and breathless. Hope you recover very soon!

I'm home again after 2 weeks in Costa Rica. I had such a great time there, and am still in love with the place I stay. This is mostly due to the good friends we visit while there, and this year I actually stayed in their home. They totally spoiled me with the delicious meals they prepared. I'm trying to recreate them back home, and off to a good start. It was extra hot this year, which meant a lot of time spent indoor during the day to avoid the heat, and being outdoors in the early morning and evenings. We bumped up our morning walk to 5:30 am so we could walk on the beach in the shade. I'll try to figure out how to post photos soon!

I'm back to doing daily dog walks and playing tennis 3-4 times a week. I hit the jackpot on the warm weather here at home! It's about 55 F / 13 C this afternoon, which is crazy for this time of year. Loving it! 😊

• Like 7

On 3/3/2024 at 3:47 AM, bookbard said:

I have stuck to 10,000 steps per day since Jan 1 and am mostly walking early in the morning as it's been pretty hot. Not doing much else apart from stretches - it has been super busy. I do lift a lot at work (and my arm muscles are starting to show it). I have lost more than 5kg since the beginning of the year, mostly around the waist which is good I think. I need to lost 10 more kg to move out of obese range and 20 more to move to healthy weight. 

Congratulations on the healthy habits!

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I took a slow walk down the lane. Breathless and tired. I hate this. 

It's hard.

@Soror I've been thinking mulling over your comments. I hadn't been thinking about having flares of symptoms  - it was all a horrid whole. Thinking that way gives space for seeing patterns and hope for improvement.  I'm also trying to get better at celebrating small improvements. 

So, I've swum twice now - ten lengths the first time and accidentally twelve lengths the second. My aim is to stick at 10 but to go as often as I can. It feels good. I've got back into my three walks a day.  And I plan to buy a heated lumbar pillow for the car.

• Like 5

I hurt my back some. Hurt is maybe the wrong word. Strained. And then was on a trip for five days. I am just now able to get back to the rowing machine and strengthing/flexibility exercises. Today is the day. I am hoping to get 15 days in a row. Then I will have an entire day that will be worthless because I have a very long, round trip airport run to make, and my mother to get settled (coming home from France)! Then I hope to be back at it for 7 days. We leave after that for a wedding and an eclipse trip, so my guess is my exercise will be chasing 3, rambunctious grandsons.

• Like 7

20 min on the treadmill this morning. And dd and I took a short walk yesterday, during which we discovered that while sunny and not raining, it was just a little too cold for a walk (45°) and then her wheelchair foot plate just fell off at the end of the walk.

• Like 6

I've been trying to keep up with daily dog walk(s), but have been struggling with energy. It could be allergy related, as the spring allergens have emerged very early with the warm weather. 

I'm also trying to keep up with my stretch and strength exercises. Even a short time with theses is beneficial. 

I have a lot of doubles tennis lined up over the next week. I'll do my best to power through it all! 😉 

• Like 6

So the main issue I'm having is always feeling stiff and sore (I'm near to 50). I was thinking of looking into yoga to help. It's not just waking up in the morning, but anytime I sit for a short while. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, bookbard said:

So the main issue I'm having is always feeling stiff and sore (I'm near to 50). I was thinking of looking into yoga to help. It's not just waking up in the morning, but anytime I sit for a short while. 

I have found yoga to be the charm for precisely that issue. At 49 I was sore. That changed with yoga and - absent my present non-exercise-related injury - at 60 I don't ache.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I struggle with the constant stiff/sore feelings as well. For me the game changer was gyrotonics. There's an overlap in the ideas between the two. Just an alternate you might enjoy. 

• Like 4

Day 21 of 30 Days of Yoga this morning. Lots of schoolwork this weekend. Still cold and rainy but yesterday reached the high 50's. Next weekend looks glorious--in the 60's. I am a bit sleep deprived and really not looking forward to the time change, but I went to bed early last night and I'm up early today to spread the adjustment over more days.

• Like 5

Slept over nine hours and my sciatica didn't appreciate it. Brisk walk up the den in a chilly wind, then lots of kitchen reorganisation. 

Found a set of instructions for Heelys amongst the clutter. My youngest child is about to turn 24.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Decided last Wednesday that I mean it, getting back into strength training. Did Fitness Blender that morning and again this morning. My plan is to do it twice a week-Wednesday and Sunday mornings. I have a part time job that two days a week is physically demanding (lifting heavy buckets and large boxes) but then the other two days are office work. Hoping that a dedicated set time to do strength training will help me lose the 20 lb I really need to shed. Walking dogs in the neighborhood and/or treadmill as I can.

• Like 7

Nothing today, feeling like a slug.  I have made about 40 meals and 6 quarts of three different kinds of soup plus polenta, baked oatmeal, and 10 bags of roasted veggies for my mother's freezer, does that count?? 🏋️‍♀️

Edited by Eos
  • Like 6

I ended up playing tennis 4 times this week, and walked the dog almost daily. I skipped today as it was cold and windy and I feel like I have a cold. My nose is running and my body is aching. There are definitely seasonal allergies kicking in, too. I haven't been doing much strength work this week, but I have been stretching to avoid soreness.

• Like 6

I did Jessica Smith's Cardio Core Flow this morning. Did not sleep well--woke up a lot. This is always a rough week adjusting to the time change--alarm woke me this morning (I usually wake up 5-10 min before).

• Like 6

Trying to figure out the best way to get back in the game slowly and gently.  I am itchy to not be sedentary but also still breathless with some other lingering symptoms. (Still masking and isolating for a few more days after the rebound illness of this past week.)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Trying to figure out the best way to get back in the game slowly and gently.  I am itchy to not be sedentary but also still breathless with some other lingering symptoms. (Still masking and isolating for a few more days after the rebound illness of this past week.)

It's really hard to wait, even when you know it's best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't updated in forever. I finally have a slower week. Ya!

Last week I got 3 strength training- 2 sessions of pickleball, some walks, and daily mobility.

The last 2 weeks I haven't walked enough and although I have kept up daily mobility I haven't done as much and it caught up to me last week. I had a flare of my sciatica so I've increased my mobility again and am working on increasing walking again. My hormones are being stupid and my energy is down so I'm having to push myself right now. 

• Like 4

On 3/12/2024 at 11:08 PM, Eos said:

More walking and videos, which feels good. Something is better than nothing.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:27 AM, Laura Corin said:

This is what I try to keep in mind.

I agree ladies! It is discouraging at times but that means that we are continuing to strive for improvement and that's ok too (IMO!). 

22 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yesterday I managed one walk down the lane and I cleaned half my bedroom. I am so disheartened by how breathless I am. Today's goal is to finish the bedroom and take another walk. 

(hugs)

13 hours ago, ShepCarlin said:

Kept to my Wednesday commitment of a Fitness Blender video before work. After that was at my desk all day.

Great job! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1