Menu

Help me figure out this space

DawnM

So, we need a little more storage in our bathroom.   

The door is not up against the wall, so between the door frame and the wall (behind the door when you open it) is about 8" of space plus about a 3" frame.

I would like to utilize this space.   It would preferably be around 8" deep, but the height and length can be more flexible.

Preferences:

• not open shelving, prefer some coverage/doors if possible, but may not be possible given the narrow area
  • nothing that has to be mounted, our list for home projects is huge
  • preferably not plastic

I will keep things in there like extra soap/shampoo/toilet paper/some toiletries/possibly some towels rolled up.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Katy said:

This is 11.8” wide, but two of the shelves are open. https://a.co/d/b9lRjar

14.5” wide, closed: https://a.co/d/1Sa7Wo9

Less than 12” wide with a mirror: https://a.co/d/i6dDiD8

But honestly this is just the kind of thing I’d look at Ikea for. I wouldn’t bother with looking at their website, just go to a store & see what’s in stock. 

I probably will not go to IKEA.  It is an hour away and I would need to know that they actually have something I would want to venture that far with my current time availability.   But if I happen to be up in that area and haven't found anything, I might stop in.

I may have to go with something that has more open shelving just due to the narrowness of the area.   It won't be horrible, it is in our master bath so no one else will really see it.   I just really want it to hold a few things and try to utilize some of the extra spaces in our home.

16 hours ago, DawnM said:

I probably will not go to IKEA.  It is an hour away and I would need to know that they actually have something I would want to venture that far with my current time availability.   But if I happen to be up in that area and haven't found anything, I might stop in.

If there is something there you do really like they have the option to buy and then pick up in store. Kind of like the grocery pick up but you go inside to get it. That way you know they do have it before driving out there. We’ve used this option many times as we are far from the local ones too. 

• Like 1

We have open shelves in our hall bathroom that are obscured when the door is open. You have to be in the bathroom with the door closed to see them. They're a bit of a mess right now (I need to clean them off a bit), but it can look pretty nice when I try. They're wider, so I have room for two piles of folded towels on 1 shelf, I have three 20-year old white wooden bins from Target across the next, 3 white plastic basket bins across the next, and I should clean up the top shelf into bins. The bins hide collections of like stuff--OTC meds, bandages, teen girl grooming supplies, etc, but they look nice and neat--I don't feel like I need doors at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boymama5 said:

If there is something there you do really like they have the option to buy and then pick up in store. Kind of like the grocery pick up but you go inside to get it. That way you know they do have it before driving out there. We’ve used this option many times as we are far from the local ones too. 

Online I can only see shelves that are over 11" wide so I don't think there have anything.

I'd try Wayfair, personally, and also Walmart.  Their online sites have very good dimensional information.  

For our bathroom I found a great, narrow cabinet by looking for a tilt out clothes hamper.  Our cabinet has that, and I fill it with TP and other paper goods, which are lightweight enough for the cloth bag of the hamper.  Then it has two open shelves up top, great for the toiletries and electrics that we like to have readily accessible, but would also be awesome for rolled  up extra towels and washrags.  The advantage of the tilt out hamper is that you don't have to take anything off the top cover to access it.

Here is one that is similar to ours:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CostwayLaundry-Hamper-Tilt-Out-Bin-Bamboo-Shelf-Slat-Frame-Space-Saving-Storage/370530660?from=/search

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

If you can't find that is narrow enough, then  you can try searching on slim toilet paper holders.  Those are extremely narrow but can be tall for their width.

Here is one to give you an idea of what they look like.  They do hold more than I would have thought (we have one).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/kleankin-Slim-Bathroom-Cabinet-Freestanding-Storage-Toilet-Paper-Holder-Two-Drawers-Side-Towel-Rack-Wheels-7-x-20-5-24-75-Inches-White/801796146?from=/search

• Like 1