Menu

Decluttering IS actually contagious

I am in shock today. 

I have quietly started doing a loose version of Dana K. White's methods (a slob comes clean). I'm keeping up on dishes and cleaning the kitchen, and I'm randomly opening drawers and cupboards and flinging out trash and obvious clutter. I have done nothing that might be "hard" decisions. I have mentioned nothing to anyone, but they've noticed the piles in the car to go to Salvation Army and the increased trash. 

It's been about 5 weeks since I started. I have touched no one else's clutter except boxing up some artwork that was on the floor and putting it on a closet shelf. This was when middle DD (my most sentimental-clutter one) had covid and was sleeping in a different bedroom and I had to stay in her room. 

Today, DH cleaned out his work-from-home area and his rather sizeable collection of water bottles. Middle gathered up and offered her entire large LEGO collection for donation. Youngest set aside for donation 2 entire shelves of books! 

It's a little more chaotic than when I do quick little declutters, but I am definitely not complaining. Y'all, this is HUGE!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

If you don’t want to just drop at a thrift store, I’m sure your closest elementary school would love the legos (we are always looking for more here, I know).

good luck!

I work at 2 libraries, and they both have LEGO building clubs, so I'm going to ask the youth managers before I donate them to Salvation Army. 

We got them into 20-25 gallon sized bags.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I work at 2 libraries, and they both have LEGO building clubs, so I'm going to ask the youth managers before I donate them to Salvation Army. 

We got them into 20-25 gallon sized bags.

And a substantial collection of Rainbow Loom bracelet making thingees and bands just got added to the pile. Whoo-hoo! I'm thinking one of the libraries may want those as well.

• Like 4

Lucky!

I wish that were the case here.  When I declutter an area, everyone takes it as an invitation to start filling it back up.  My dad lives with us and every time him and my mom leave for a few weeks to cruise or go to their other house I declutter things in the kitchen, just things we have many duplicates of.  And every time he comes back he buys more of the things I've covertly gotten rid of.  He doesn't even know I got rid of it, he just always thinks having back ups is necessary. For ex, we have 5 ice cream scoops of different sizes. One is for ice cream. The others were all him testing which size was right for filling raviolis, which is great.  When he found the right size he bought more of them in case one broke! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Dana is so helpful.  Her books are easily available online, at the library, or on Hoopla.
Here's a sample of her youtubes.  She also does weekly live Q&As.

Good questions.

If only I could get my young adult kids on board.

• Like 2