Menu

Preschoolers and the gingerbread man

Terabith

We've been reading about the Gingerbread Man at preschool.  Today we baked gingerbread men.  And women!  My watch says that I earned 24 exercise minutes doing this.  We learned valuable lessons like:  just because crisco looks like vanilla frosting does NOT mean that it tastes like it.  We compared the taste of white and brown sugar.  Well, some of us.  Some of us were still burned about the crisco, even though I told them it tasted greasy and like plastic.  We smelled ginger and cinnamon and nutmeg.  The kids said ginger smelled like pineapple, which I can kinda see, and nutmeg smelled like watermelon, which I think was being silly.  They tasted molasses.  We learned that mixers are loud, and stirring is hard work, and how to crack and separate an egg.  They decorated them with eyes and currants today.  Tomorrow we'll add frosting, and we will see if they run away.  (Spoiler alert, I'm pretty sure they will.) It was interesting to see the difference between the one kid who clearly bakes a ton at home and all the rest of the kids, who had never seen a rolling pin before and had no idea how they worked.  

I've just finished my eight step scavenger hunt clues.  Hopefully they will have fun and not be traumatized.  I'm a bit worried because I have one kid who is super skeptical and when we read the story keeps asking, "But HOW does it come to life?"  I'm a little concerned that cookies that disappear and leave scavenger hunt clues might weird him out bigly, but we will see.  

• Like 27

Preschoolers are literally my favorite humans, and I really miss being around them. DD says she would like to start a family in the next 4-5 years, and I cannot wait to have a preschooler to play with and cook with and read stories to. They are amazing, wonderful, crazy little aliens and I love them so much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Preschoolers are literally my favorite humans, and I really miss being around them. DD says she would like to start a family in the next 4-5 years, and I cannot wait to have a preschooler to play with and cook with and read stories to. They are amazing, wonderful, crazy little aliens and I love them so much.

They really are!!!  And I love my class so much.  I had most of them last year and looped up with them this year, which has been amazing.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 4

I love this so much. 💕

One of my favorite childhood books was basically the same story, only with a pancake as the main character! I love picture books and preschoolers and and all the fun activities that go along with them.

image.png.056d0dab88fbe5bde3badfb0e4044259.png

• Like 2

We frosted today. I couldn’t get a picture because I was so busy, but honestly, frosting kinda detracted.  They had SO MUCH FUN figuring out the clues and finding where they were hidden.  It was adorable!!!

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm a bit worried because I have one kid who is super skeptical and when we read the story keeps asking, "But HOW does it come to life?"  

Why not tell him it's just a story, and that things happen in stories/books/movies that don't happen in real life? That's really good information for kids to have as they read about frogs turning into princes, puppets turning into boys, the Monkey's Paw bringing the dead back to life . . . okay, they won't encounter that last one for a while, but the point stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Why not tell him it's just a story, and that things happen in stories/books/movies that don't happen in real life? That's really good information for kids to have as they read about frogs turning into princes, puppets turning into boys, the Monkey's Paw bringing the dead back to life . . . okay, they won't encounter that last one for a while, but the point stands. 

Oh, we have talked about that a LOT. He’s just a generally kind of anxious and cynical kid, and I worried a bit that he would be frightened by the spillover from “character that comes to life in fictional narrative that is pretend” into “cookies he helped make and decorated disappearing and leaving scavenger hunt clues in real life.”  He was freaked out last year by the tricky leprechaun (that I didn’t even do but other classes did).  But he handled it like a champ!  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Terabith said:

Oh, we have talked about that a LOT. He’s just a generally kind of anxious and cynical kid, and I worried a bit that he would be frightened by the spillover from “character that comes to life in fictional narrative that is pretend” into “cookies he helped make and decorated disappearing and leaving scavenger hunt clues in real life.”  He was freaked out last year by the tricky leprechaun (that I didn’t even do but other classes did).  But he handled it like a champ!  

I remember the tricky leprechaun story!  

Edited by katilac