Menu

If you have bathroom fixtures with a black finish...

sweet2ndchance

Do you like them?

I need to pick bathroom faucets for both of our bathrooms. I have white one piece vanity tops for both bathrooms. I was thinking of going with black or oil rubbed bronze fixtures for both. But in reading the reviews, a lot of people complain black fixtures are hard to keep clean. I don't have little kids in the house anymore, just one tween who is fairly neat in his bathroom habits. So I'm not too worried about toothpaste spittle everywhere or stuff like that anymore.

Just wondering if I will regret getting black fixtures as I've never had them before.

Not here, but in our last house. Regular fingerprints and such don’t show at all, but water spots and mineral deposits show more. If you have soft water and wipe them down once a week (or at least every other), I think they’re easier to clean than stainless or chrome, which need to be polished instead of simply wiped. 

I really do not recommend black composite sinks though. You have to clean, sanitize, scrub off whatever you’re using to sanitize because it shows, oil, wipe excess oil.., it’s a gross hot mess that’s way too fussy for me. I also hated the huge stove in that house. It looked amazing but to make it clean was at least a 40 minute process of removing, cleaning, and oiling grates, cleaning the stainless, and reassembly. If I ever get another huge stove like that I’ll go for induction instead of gas. 

• Like 2

We have oil rubbed bronze.  Mineral deposits are more noticeable, but you can get them off with regular wiping.  If they build up, you may need to use vinegar or a Lime Away type product.  What is the countertop made of?  If it's stone, you may need to be careful with vinegar or other products to remove mineral deposits, as they are acidic and can permanently etch some stone.  In that case, you'll want to be diligent about wiping off faucets and counters daily to prevent mineral build up.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the countertops are made of. We got them from the Habitat for Humanity Restore. They are not stone. They feel like porcelain but I doubt they are. Just smooth white one piece sink and countertop vanity pieces. Fairly heavy. I would feel confident using vinegar to clean them or even regular bathroom cleaner with bleach.

I had a black composite kitchen sink when we first moved into this house. Never. Again. I removed it and put in a stainless steel one. Much better. lol

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

We  have oil rubbed bronze. I think things like toothpaste and hand soap dribbles show more than on stainless or chrome, but ours wipe clean easily. I clean our bathrooms once a week, and usually give a quick swipe around the sinks and faucets whenever I put out a fresh hand towel. We don't have water issues, so mineral build up isn't a problem for us.

• Like 3

We just finished a complete gut of all our bathrooms. We originally did some cosmetic updates 10 years ago and chose oil rubbed bronze for the fixtures. 

Turns out ORB is now passé and was difficult to find and more expensive. 😕  Several salespeople told me that they think black is on its way out also. 

I would have gone with a classic nickel finish if I could have convinced DH. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lanabug said:

We just finished a complete gut of all our bathrooms. We originally did some cosmetic updates 10 years ago and chose oil rubbed bronze for the fixtures. 

Turns out ORB is now passé and was difficult to find and more expensive. 😕  Several salespeople told me that they think black is on its way out also. 

I would have gone with a classic nickel finish if I could have convinced DH. 

I love black faucets, but I don’t have any. I was planning to switch over slowly. I wonder what’s the next color. Gold? I’ve noticed more houses with this color. 

47 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I love black faucets, but I don’t have any. I was planning to switch over slowly. I wonder what’s the next color. Gold? I’ve noticed more houses with this color. 

Yes, I've seen lots of champagne brass/gold. Kind of a softer finish, not as shiny if that makes sense. I think it's so pretty but probably a trend.