Menu

Another homeschooling article, this one about severe abuse

Innisfree

45 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

More dysfunctional patterns need deeper help than the particular organization could provide.

Imagine if we were able to assign moderate cases to… let’s say the social work and kindness sectors, and assign more complicated cases to more intensive, higher skilled (in this area) psychology and psychiatry sectors. 

The program screened families so as to know which were most likely to be helped by it. And at least at my location, they also had lots of other support and programs that operated at a day center separate from the food and housing provided by the churches.

And people have to want change in order to be helped by psychologists and psychiatrists. I think most of us here have experienced enough in life to know that unfortunately there’s a fairly significant chunk of people out there who don’t want to change or don’t want to do the work involved with change. That’s not to say I don’t think we should keep making as much mental health/family function help available as possible. We absolutely should.

Edited to add that it would also be helpful in many cases if we could get people to accept the help they desperately need to become functional and stable before they bring children into the mix. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Frances said:

The program screened families so as to know which were most likely to be helped by it. And at least at my location, they also had lots of other support and programs that operated at a day center separate from the food and housing provided by the churches.

And people have to want change in order to be helped by psychologists and psychiatrists. I think most of us here have experienced enough in life to know that unfortunately there’s a fairly significant chunk of people out there who don’t want to change or don’t want to do the work involved with change. That’s not to say I don’t think we should keep making as much mental health/family function help available as possible. We absolutely should.

Edited to add that it would also be helpful in many cases if we could get people to accept the help they desperately need to become functional and stable before they bring children into the mix. 

It wasn’t a judgement on the organization, just commentary on different circumstances needing different resources.

I know there are some people that just can’t be helped. But there are also people who can be helped with higher level resources than our society makes accessible. “Doesn’t want” is often how “can’t under these circumstances” looks.

I don’t pretend that every person can be “fixed”.  But yeah, more/higher level resources would mean helping more, not all people. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

“can’t under these circumstances” looks.

Thank you. And it is just hard.

Often not succeeding is equated to not trying. How many of us struggle to change an old habit and fail despite not being born addicted or with FAS or tramautized as a child. 

• Like 3

The WaPo writers are on a 24 hour strike today and asked that anyone wanting to support them not interact with WaPo until Friday, if anyone is interested.   No shame, just an FYI.  I know that sort of thing is important to some.  

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/washington-post-journalists-plan-24-hour-strike-amid-prolonged-contract-talks-2023-12-05/

I’ll definitely be reading this article tomorrow.   

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

The WaPo writers on a 24 hour strike today and asked that anyone wanting to support them not interact with WaPo until Friday, if anyone is interested.   No shame, just an FYI.  I know that sort of thing is important to some.  

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/washington-post-journalists-plan-24-hour-strike-amid-prolonged-contract-talks-2023-12-05/

Dang, thanks! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

The WaPo writers are on a 24 hour strike today and asked that anyone wanting to support them not interact with WaPo until Friday, if anyone is interested.   No shame, just an FYI.  I know that sort of thing is important to some.  

Thank you for letting me know. Too bad that wasn't posted in their 7am news roundup. Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Why not read it today, since it’s on Reuters? Are they on strike, too?

5 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Why not read it today, since it’s on Reuters? Are they on strike, too?

We were talking about the next article in the WaPo series on homeschooling.  That ones only on WaPo.  

The Reuters link was explaining the WaPo strike.  

Edited by Heartstrings