Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

Is it because your a city employee at the library and they share retirement? 

No. I can’t even make sense of the error message. I’m asking my friend that worked for the agency and she’s going to inquire for me. 
Something about if you work for them it’s considered contract work and you therefore forfeit your retirement benefit and they cannot move forward with your application?? 

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My pay went up a hair when the entry level salary changed recently… but then my health ins kicked in so my take home pay isn’t any better. In a typical month I get paid twice. Based on 2 checks a month I’m spending approx 53% on rent 😭

That’s so hard!    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

That’s so hard!    

At least my gym membership expires soon and I got a cheaper prescription and cheaper phone service since the move. I pack a lunch most days/eat dinner at home and watch free streaming channels and library rentals. And of course no more storage rental fees. 

I’m not sure when I’ll spring for a washer/dryer. Even the used ones I can’t justify right now. No rush. 
my goal is to get promoted as soon as possible (at least a year before I qualify) but there’s no telling it rent will go up next year. 

• Like 7

I saw ds for a second at pickup but he didn’t come home with me. Dd is so smart and observant. She says dad says he misses her when she goes to my home but she thinks, “what about Mom? She goes weeks without seeing me. Days and weeks are different.” This is what she told me. 

I took her to a Vietnamese New Year’s celebration. I froze all night but compromised because she wanted to buy a wristband to access the bounce houses all night and I wanted her to have time to use it. It was her leftover birthday money and the wristband was the only way to use the bouncy houses.

We tried pandan waffles and a passion fruit drink. She finally got to try Dippin Dots. I didn’t see much “real food” that I was willing to wait in line for so ending up just eating at home. 

I have bought shoes for dd a couple times and it’s always a waste. They get lost at xh’s house or she outgrows them without wearing them while she favors another pair of shoes. She came to my home with crocs so I had her try on the boots I had here but they don’t fit. She literally wore them once? 

I sold my microwave to a colleague and a friend said I was petty for accepting money (she’s going to pay me Monday. I dropped it off Sat). Her microwave died and she asked if mine was still for sale. I offered it for $20. I bought it new for much more. It’s large and 1200 watt. I told my friend that called me petty that I wouldn’t have asked for money if I wasn’t in such financial trouble. My next pay day 100% goes to my landlord. And I have less than $20 in checking. I’m gonna have to use my cc for gas etc between pay days. I think my colleague is in a better place than me financially so I’m not gonna beat myself up. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/3OVqmFxlRvw?si=2Rrq19XP1sbdDnGL

IMG_6999.jpeg

Many years ago, I had a similar moment with a friend (similar to your moment about the microwave). This was in the days before cell phones when we all wrote things down with a pen, lol. I kept addresses of friends on regular notebook paper. A friend held my little bundle of papers in her thumb and forefinger and said, "Can I give you some advice? Get an address book." Her tone was so full of superiority and derision. To this day it makes me burn. The reality at that time in my life is that I had no money to spare. NONE. I used to carefully save up change and I had to be so very, very meticulous when grocery shopping. My friends had no idea how tight it was for me even though they all had reason to know I was poor. They just couldn't conceive of all the ways a person can find to pinch some pennies.

Hugs for you. Shake off your friend's clueless comments. I think offering a microwave for $20 is a bargain.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Many years ago, I had a similar moment with a friend (similar to your moment about the microwave). This was in the days before cell phones when we all wrote things down with a pen, lol. I kept addresses of friends on regular notebook paper. A friend held my little bundle of papers in her thumb and forefinger and said, "Can I give you some advice? Get an address book." Her tone was so full of superiority and derision. To this day it makes me burn. The reality at that time in my life is that I had no money to spare. NONE. I used to carefully save up change and I had to be so very, very meticulous when grocery shopping. My friends had no idea how tight it was for me even though they all had reason to know I was poor. They just couldn't conceive of all the ways a person can find to pinch some pennies.

Hugs for you. Shake off your friend's clueless comments. I think offering a microwave for $20 is a bargain.

thank you. 

I have one friend that constantly suggests I buy things lol “you should buy folding chairs and this cooler backpack if you take the kids to any parades.” It all adds up! I listen and then just do my own thing (I put snacks in my purse and car). 

I’m months into playing Temu games to win free stuff 😅 I did purchase some items on the site (cheap). 

My colleague started around the time I did and is taking unpaid vacation (we can’t use paid yet) to see family in another country soon for a big family event. That alone made me think she’s gonna be OK money-wise. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I sold my microwave to a colleague and a friend said I was petty for accepting money (she’s going to pay me Monday. I dropped it off Sat). Her microwave died and she asked if mine was still for sale. I offered it for $20. I bought it new for much more. It’s large and 1200 watt. I told my friend that called me petty that I wouldn’t have asked for money if I wasn’t in such financial trouble. My next pay day 100% goes to my landlord. And I have less than $20 in checking. I’m gonna have to use my cc for gas etc between pay days. I think my colleague is in a better place than me financially so I’m not gonna beat myself up. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/3OVqmFxlRvw?si=2Rrq19XP1sbdDnGL

IMG_6999.jpeg

How very stupid of your friend! It doesn't even matter is your friend is better off financially: she asked if your microwave was for sale, you said yes, and she happily bought it for a great price. 

11 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Annulment was approved. Checked my P.O. Box today. Postmarked Jan 

Another thing you never need to work on or worry about ever again! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, katilac said:

How very stupid of your friend! It doesn't even matter is your friend is better off financially: she asked if your microwave was for sale, you said yes, and she happily bought it for a great price. 

Another thing you never need to work on or worry about ever again! 

I think but I am not positive that a workmate bought it and another friend said she was petty for selling it to workmate instead of just giving it to her.  But I agree it was a mean and stupid thing to say to @heartlikealion

• Like 2

My new cc was declined so I called to get info. Apparently I went to Chevon twice recently and the gas station put a $200 hold on each fill up. The hold can be 24-48 hrs according to my bank. The first gas fill up was on the 16th. Not sure when my card will work again. Says I have only a few bucks available ($500 minus the actual charges and the $400 in hold fees). 😡

Guess I know where NOT to get gas. 

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

My new cc was declined so I called to get info. Apparently I went to Chevon twice recently and the gas station put a $200 hold on each fill up. The hold can be 24-48 hrs according to my bank. The first gas fill up was on the 16th. Not sure when my card will work again. Says I have only a few bucks available ($500 minus the actual charges and the $400 in hold fees). 😡

that's crazy and annoying. sorry you are dealing with that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Wow! That is a huge hold. They should be required to post a sign about that. Our favorite gas station has a sign that the average hold is $50 unless the cost of the fill exceeds that. So sure, big tank pick up truck might have a $75 hold. $200 is just wrong.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

You might check. It used to be that if you went inside and paid via CC, they did not put on a hold. it was only if you paid at the pump. I don't know if that's still true though. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear about the high hold your credit card is placing. I've never noticed a hold that high when I buy gas on a CC. Since your new CC isn't working well, I wonder if opening with 0 percent interest balance transfers might work better for you. Of course, you would need to check fees to make sure it would be less in long run than the interest you would pay on your original card while paying off the card.

Also, you had mentioned applying to be a substitute teacher, and that gave me a different idea for a part -time gig job. This is one I found in your area, but there may be other companies that do the same thing.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=bcac05be24b8e0d1&from=serp&prevUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3Dconvention%2Bcenter%26l%3Dnew%2Borleans%2C%2Bla%26jlid%3Ddd616958bd9ddc12%26forceLocation%3D-1%26start%3D40%26pp%3DgQAyAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIEIdSQAaAQEBB21jb_b-dMMsMGpziSYbrPTXenddQ00AAA&xpse=SoDi67I3Eh3TlLwXz50LbzkdCdPP&xkcb=SoDC67M3Eh3VM02-VB0ObzkdCdPP

I know the money issues are hard, but I want to remind you are making progress in so many areas.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, *LC said:

I'm sorry to hear about the high hold your credit card is placing. I've never noticed a hold that high when I buy gas on a CC. Since your new CC isn't working well, I wonder if opening with 0 percent interest balance transfers might work better for you. Of course, you would need to check fees to make sure it would be less in long run than the interest you would pay on your original card while paying off the card.

Also, you had mentioned applying to be a substitute teacher, and that gave me a different idea for a part -time gig job. This is one I found in your area, but there may be other companies that do the same thing.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=bcac05be24b8e0d1&from=serp&prevUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indeed.com%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3Dconvention%2Bcenter%26l%3Dnew%2Borleans%2C%2Bla%26jlid%3Ddd616958bd9ddc12%26forceLocation%3D-1%26start%3D40%26pp%3DgQAyAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACIEIdSQAaAQEBB21jb_b-dMMsMGpziSYbrPTXenddQ00AAA&xpse=SoDi67I3Eh3TlLwXz50LbzkdCdPP&xkcb=SoDC67M3Eh3VM02-VB0ObzkdCdPP

I know the money issues are hard, but I want to remind you are making progress in so many areas.

I was having trouble finding 0% APR cards. And I have a higher APR on the new cc than old one. My current credit score, current offers, and utilization seems to make it hard to find a 0% Apr. 

I just applied, thanks. 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:34 PM, Faith-manor said:

Wow! That is a huge hold. They should be required to post a sign about that. Our favorite gas station has a sign that the average hold is $50 unless the cost of the fill exceeds that. So sure, big tank pick up truck might have a $75 hold. $200 is just wrong.

To fill our common size F150 truck, it costs about $130.  Bigger trucks can take even more fuel. A large RV could easily cost $200-400. 

A $200 hold is unfortunate....but really isn't surprising. 

• Sad 2

Citibank offered me a 0% APR card for the first 12 months on purchases. I googled the card and it’s 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers. After that it’s a 19-29% APR. That’s too much for my balance transfer. I wouldn’t have it paid off in 18 months. My current APR is lower on the cc that carries a high balance from being unemployed. The min payment they want each month on my current card is $147. Maybe after I pay more down the monthly payment will be less. 

After next pay day I’ll pay off this American Express card and might not use it again since it’s practically useless at gas stations. Or maybe purchase gas cards if there’s no hold on those. I don’t really want to do that, either. 

Someone else recently advertised a 0% APR card to me. I’ll research that one as well. Might have been Bank of America. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Citibank offered me a 0% APR card for the first 12 months on purchases. I googled the card and it’s 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers. After that it’s a 19-29% APR. That’s too much for my balance transfer. I wouldn’t have it paid off in 18 months. My current APR is lower on the cc that carries a high balance from being unemployed. The min payment they want each month on my current card is $147. Maybe after I pay more down the monthly payment will be less. 

After next pay day I’ll pay off this American Express card and might not use it again since it’s practically useless at gas stations. Or maybe purchase gas cards if there’s no hold on those. I don’t really want to do that, either. 

Someone else recently advertised a 0% APR card to me. I’ll research that one as well. Might have been Bank of America. 

A lot of people will move balances from one 0% card to another then back again.  Usually the first card will send you another offer at some point after you transfer money to another card.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

A lot of people will move balances from one 0% card to another then back again.  Usually the first card will send you another offer at some point after you transfer money to another card.  

Oh that sounds exhausting to juggle lol and the first card was through a credit union so I don’t know if they will send offers. I sought them out, don’t think they really advertised to me. 

My loose plan is see if I get any money back from taxes. Then apply for a 0% APR card and only transfer a balance that’s doable to pay down within the 0% APR time frame. One of the Citibank cards has 21 months. 

If I get $0 back after filing taxes I could still do it, but not as much. 

The bank cannot lower my min due. At least that’s what the representative said even though I said it was a hardship. 

If I transfer part of the balance my min due will be lower on that card and I dunno what I’ll owe on the new card as a minimum (probably like 3% but maybe more) but it would probably help with overall interest. 

I’ll be looking into this soon. 

I’m helping film a local commercial for a couple hours this week for extra money. 

• Like 7

I was denied the Citibank diamond card (21 months 0% APR on balance transfers). My guess is because the form asked my income and rent. I appear to be the only staff member among my colleagues that doesn’t have a roommate, parent or spouse sharing rent. It’s just really expensive. But I’d rather struggle temporarily than get a roommate or live with a family member. 

I can’t see the math doing me much out of pocket favors with transferring a balance. Using round numbers for this example. So I owe roughly $4000 on my cc. I am required to pay roughly $150/mo minimum right now (3% in reality). Say I transfer $1000 to a 0% APR card with 21 months to pay it off. That’s roughly $50/mo sent to the new card. Now the old car drops to $3000 and the new minimum payments there are $90. Total I’m paying $140/month in cc bills. That’s not really helping my out of pocket expenses. It’s just helping me hit more principal faster on the original card. 

Posted (edited)

I met with AARP volunteers to file my taxes. Didn’t realize there would be an issue… I worked in 2 different states in 2023 and they can only help with LA taxes. What a mess. They said a professional should be able to handle it. So I reached out to the woman that fixed my taxes last year. Waiting to hear back & get a quote. Could I go online and try? Probably but sounds potentially messy. I can’t explain why taxes give me such anxiety. I struggle with paperwork in general. 

Edited by heartlikealion

I'm sorry.

Can they still do your federal taxes? If they can't or won't, AARP also has virtual tax preparation service.

https://taxaide.aarpfoundation.org/

If I remember correctly you moved late in the year, how many times did you get paid in new state?  You may want to use the virtual AARP service to prepare your taxes for your old state and your federal taxes. Then you could have the local AARP do taxes for your new state.

Good luck

On 3/5/2024 at 12:52 AM, *LC said:

I'm sorry.

Can they still do your federal taxes? If they can't or won't, AARP also has virtual tax preparation service.

https://taxaide.aarpfoundation.org/

If I remember correctly you moved late in the year, how many times did you get paid in new state?  You may want to use the virtual AARP service to prepare your taxes for your old state and your federal taxes. Then you could have the local AARP do taxes for your new state.

Good luck

thanks. I think I got paid twice in 2023 (2 checks in Dec). 

I’ll look into my online options. At the moment they paused my application with AARP so I might call them and say go ahead and file my LA taxes and I’ll do the MS ones. I just thought that sounded messy but it may not matter. They agreed to hold onto my account a few days. 

The estimate I was quoted says I’ll get back a few hundred dollars but they had not added my unemployment info so I’m not sure how accurate that quote is. I’m just glad I don’t think I’ll owe money. Once I get my refund I’m throwing money on my cc balance. Washer/dryer will have to wait. 

Car transmission is acting up again. I’m not sure I should drive the round trip to pick up the kids. Might have to ask my dad to bring them for spring break. I also have one other visit with dd before then. 

I’m trying my best to see how I can start saving for a car note. 

My discover card hasn’t arrived in the mail which is frustrating. I really need it. I just got paid and paid off the AMEX card. Sent ex (late) Feb & March child support. Got gas. Set aside a little for April rent because my next check alone isn’t enough to cover April. Ugh it’s so tight. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry that things are still so stressful and tight. 

Not sure when you will have kids, but this festival is hiring a variety of temporary workers. If it is doesn't conflict with visitation, it may be a way to pick up some extra money.

https://www.workstream.us/j/bc40a254/new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival/positions?locale=en&referer_source=https://www.nojazzfest.com/

You may have addressed this in a different post, but is your job eligible for over time or just extra hours? If so, make sure the schedule makers know you are open to more work. (I know a salaried worker who supplements his income by being available for weekend projects that his company has to take on from time to time for scheduling reasons. I don't know if your job would have something similar when they have folks leave or host special events.

Edited by *LC

16 minutes ago, *LC said:

I'm sorry that things are still so stressful and tight. 

Not sure when you will have kids, but this festival is hiring a variety of temporary workers. If it is doesn't conflict with visitation, it may be a way to pick up some extra money.

https://www.workstream.us/j/bc40a254/new-orleans-jazz-heritage-festival/positions?locale=en&referer_source=https://www.nojazzfest.com/

You may have addressed this in a different post, but is your job eligible for over time or just extra hours? If so, make sure the schedule makers know you are open to more work. (I know a salaried worker who supplements his income by being available for weekend projects that his company has to take on from time to time for scheduling reasons. I don't know if your job would have something similar when they have folks leave or host special events.

I will research it. Thanks. 
They have strict hours. No one can work extra hours. And if you fall behind on hours you  make them up or use vacation or in my case I’d lose pay because I can’t redeem vacation yet. A training I attended this week ended early so I made up the time by taking a short lunch the next day. 

I knew that it would be too easy of a solution.

Another possibility for working within changing availability would be something with convention/conference centers. Does indeed have a PT option? 

2 hours ago, *LC said:

I knew that it would be too easy of a solution.

Another possibility for working within changing availability would be something with convention/conference centers. Does indeed have a PT option? 

It’s really messy. I’m only available a couple days a month and I can’t do jobs where I’m on my feet for hours. So I don’t really fit most job openings. The weeks I don’t have dd I’m off one weekday and Sunday. The weeks I have her, I work M-F and am off Sat/Sun with her. I figure substitute teaching might be my best bet. 

I’ve been going through TurboTax… I didn’t qualify for the free version. So I had to upgrade to deluxe ($59). Then I started asking myself if I need to get a form summarizing my stipends I received from the construction program (I got a couple). 

So I don’t think I can complete this now. I will call the program office and inquire to see if there’s some form I need to upload to TurboTax. 

ugh I hate taxes so much 

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ve been going through TurboTax… I didn’t qualify for the free version. So I had to upgrade to deluxe ($59). Then I started asking myself if I need to get a form summarizing my stipends I received from the construction program (I got a couple). 

So I don’t think I can complete this now. I will call the program office and inquire to see if there’s some form I need to upload to TurboTax. 

ugh I hate taxes so much 

Have you looked at the free versions on the IRS website?  I believe TaxAct is the one I have used for ds and he used it again this year.  

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Have you looked at the free versions on the IRS website?  I believe TaxAct is the one I have used for ds and he used it again this year.  

I think all free versions have stipulations. I was partway through the process before TurboTax said mine didn’t qualify for the free version. And I definitely don’t want to start over 🤣

I logged out and plan to log back in after I get feedback about the stipends 

Ok this tax thing should be easy, but there's always a hiccup. It imported my W2 info for state and I can't delete the LA listing while I'm filing the MS thing. So then I was like ok maybe I leave it there, but then it asks me what county I lived in while I worked in LA and the drop down menu is MS counties and "non resident" or "out of state." None of that applies to my situation, as I didn't work in LA while living in MS. But I don't see how to delete the blasted listing. If I go to edit, some of it is grayed out and you cannot remove it.

I don't want to have to pay more money to fix this stupid stuff. If I brought my laptop to a free place I don't know if I could show them my issue and ask how to fix it. 

27 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok this tax thing should be easy, but there's always a hiccup. It imported my W2 info for state and I can't delete the LA listing while I'm filing the MS thing. So then I was like ok maybe I leave it there, but then it asks me what county I lived in while I worked in LA and the drop down menu is MS counties and "non resident" or "out of state." None of that applies to my situation, as I didn't work in LA while living in MS. But I don't see how to delete the blasted listing. If I go to edit, some of it is grayed out and you cannot remove it.

I don't want to have to pay more money to fix this stupid stuff. If I brought my laptop to a free place I don't know if I could show them my issue and ask how to fix it. 

Try the chat option through turbo tax.   I’ve used turbo tax to file taxes with 2 states before so it’s possible.   I did end up messing it up and got a letter from one of them a few months later, but I had answered a question wrong.  

2 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

Try the chat option through turbo tax.   I’ve used turbo tax to file taxes with 2 states before so it’s possible.   I did end up messing it up and got a letter from one of them a few months later, but I had answered a question wrong.  

I tried but they said if I wanted to upgrade to the right version I’d have to start over??  I could only access a chat bot. It said I could delete that section but it won’t let me. 

I’m on deluxe ($59) doesn’t include live chat 

35 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Seems like when I have done my taxes and my son’s taxes after I complete everything for one state it asks me if I need to file for any other states.  

Mine had me enter all W2s. Then it did federal then imported them for the state section. I followed all the prompts.