Menu

What is the recommended schedule for taking SAT/ACTs?

EKT

Hello! Oldest daughter is a high school junior. Can all the experienced Boardies please let me know when my daughter should take the SAT/ACT this year? (We're still deciding on which test, but we will figure that out definitively in the next month or so.)

I don't think first semester is a realistic window for us, as I'd like for her to get in as much Algebra II as possible before the test. So we're probably looking at second semester dates. (Would it be fine for her to take the test once in March 2024 and once in June 2024?) 

She's an aspiring fine arts major and most of the schools we're looking at right now are test-optional, so honestly, the whole thing feels sort of pointless. But I feel like she should have a score on hand, just in case. Any additional advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edited to add: If she were to make any additional test attempts senior year, what is the latest she can take them? (October 2024? November 2024?) I'm not sure how quick the score turnaround is, should she need the scores for college admissions purposes, so any advice or recommendations would be super helpful. Thanks!

Edited by EKT

March and June sounds good. We had signed up for June only and that was cancelled due to covid among the proctors, and we had to wait until Oct and drive a long ways to get in.

The latest for what we had planned (all regular decision, CA state schools not accepting SAT scores) was Dec. I would check your state school dates and also think about if you want to apply ED anywhere.

• Like 1

The counselors at the local public high school (well regarded and well versed with the college application process) said that the best time to take the test(s) is in the spring of junior year. 

That said, my son took it in December of his sophomore year (as well as a few more times), and that ended up being his highest score.  But he took calculus in 10th and statistics in 11th and 12th, which may have affected his math score (which was the thing that went down slightly).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

Just be aware that the SAT is changing formats in Jan. The last paper test is 2023. 2024 it is switching to digital and adaptive.  

Yes, thank you! Appreciate your input!! (This is another reason she's not planning to take the exam this fall; she'd rather study for the newer, upcoming format than take the exam once on paper and another time digitally.) I mostly just need some reassurance that our current plan is "okay;" she's my oldest, so it's our first time through SATs. I'm figuring things out as we go, and am a little nervous I'm going to mess it up! 

1 minute ago, EKS said:

The counselors at the local public high school (well regarded and well versed with the college application process) said that the best time to take the test(s) is in the spring of junior year. 

This is SUPER helpful--thank you! (It's super reassuring to receive advice from those well-versed in testing, so I really appreciate this input!)

We've found that spring of junior year and leaving open an option to take it fall of senior year works best for my kids. YMMV, of course. Current senior did May of 11th grade, didn't get the score he wanted, took it again in August senior year and it went up 60 points with pretty light targeted prep. He's doing ED and some EA applications, so we didn't want to push it later for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokotg said:

We've found that spring of junior year and leaving open an option to take it fall of senior year works best for my kids. YMMV, of course. Current senior did May of 11th grade, didn't get the score he wanted, took it again in August senior year and it went up 60 points with pretty light targeted prep. He's doing ED and some EA applications, so we didn't want to push it later for him. 

Thank you!!

I've done different things with different kids 🤷‍♀️. If you were to just take it once, probably April of Jr year- she will have most of Algebra 2 done,  but still fresh in her mind!  By June my kids do not want to do any school,  so summer tests aren't our thing.  If you want to try again, October or December of Sr year are both good times.  If admission depends on it, December could be too late.  Often merit is tied to test scores and schools will often tell you the last test they will accept- If you are close to an award, I'd try every time in hopes of making it!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I've done different things with different kids 🤷‍♀️. If you were to just take it once, probably April of Jr year- she will have most of Algebra 2 done,  but still fresh in her mind!  By June my kids do not want to do any school,  so summer tests aren't our thing.  If you want to try again, October or December of Sr year are both good times.  If admission depends on it, December could be too late.  Often merit is tied to test scores and schools will often tell you the last test they will accept- If you are close to an award, I'd try every time in hopes of making it!  

Helpful info, thank you!!

My default is take a practice test sometime late sophomore year or very early (like now) junior year in order to decide a bit on how to approach it. But spring junior year is the typical. Early spring with a chance to retake in late spring/summer.

With few exceptions, I don't think most kids need to deviate from that. Of course, schedules, how much a kid needs a high score for their goals, etc. can influence it. Some kids never take. My college kid never ended up taking it and he's doing fine.

• Like 1

Does your state have a "state SAT day?"  Ours is in March and every kid takes the SAT for free through their school from 9-12 they take the grade level SAT - SAT9, SAT10, PAST and then SAT.  I think homeschoolers can request to take them at their local school as well.  If you want your student to take additional tests then you would just sign them up normally and pick a school, and of course you would have to pay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

My default is take a practice test sometime late sophomore year or very early (like now) junior year in order to decide a bit on how to approach it. But spring junior year is the typical. Early spring with a chance to retake in late spring/summer.

With few exceptions, I don't think most kids need to deviate from that. Of course, schedules, how much a kid needs a high score for their goals, etc. can influence it. Some kids never take. My college kid never ended up taking it and he's doing fine.

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Library Momma said:

Does your state have a "state SAT day?"  Ours is in March and every kid takes the SAT for free through their school from 9-12 they take the grade level SAT - SAT9, SAT10, PAST and then SAT.  I think homeschoolers can request to take them at their local school as well.  If you want your student to take additional tests then you would just sign them up normally and pick a school, and of course you would have to pay.

Thank you for this!