Menu

I should have gotten Jacobs Algebra

ktgrok

At the last minute I went with CLE instead. I hate it. I can't even fully explain why, but I find the explanations confusing. I end up paraphrasing them to my kid to make them easier to understand, and the work bogs her down. Today I printed out the sample of Jacob's from Masterbooks and she did great. More importantly I understand it, so I can teach it!  So yeah, ordered that, and hopefully it arrives before we run out of sample lessons (I think I have 9 lessons printed out). REALLY wish I didn't waste nearly 3 weeks on CLE. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Nm. said:

That is encouraging.  I have adhd and need stuff that I can actually teach.  The way it’s laid out just works for me based on the samples.  Hoping it’s a good fit for us too.

Maybe that is the issue - CLE is SO wordy yet boring I kept paraphrasing and shortening it up. And the word problems were sometimes phrased poorly I felt. I should not feel I know LESS math after reading a lesson than I knew before reading it, lol. Wheras the lessons I readi n Jacobs had me nodding along going, "ah, yeah, exactly!" Or "huh, that's a good way to show that!"

• Like 2

Jacobs is on deck for my youngest. I hope he connects with it too. The writing style and smart numbers are right up his alley, and I have the pre-MB version with more comics in it. He's rather skeptical of textbooks so he's going to finish Keys to Alg first. 

We wasted...more than three weeks on VideoText Algebra.  And this was after doing something like five chapters of Jacobs.  I can't remember why I thought it would be a good idea to move to VT, but when we switched back it was like a breath of fresh air.  

I love Jacobs!  I truly believe that it is because of Harold Jacobs that I am now (18 years later) getting a degree in math.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 5

So, three lessons down and math is now painless compared to CLE. Thank heavens. My 13 yr old is no longer scowling and sighing and pouting through the lessons and instead pretty dang upbeat, and actually seems, dare I say it, curious and engaged?

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

On 9/12/2023 at 7:17 PM, SilverMoon said:

Jacobs is on deck for my youngest. I hope he connects with it too. The writing style and smart numbers are right up his alley, and I have the pre-MB version with more comics in it. He's rather skeptical of textbooks so he's going to finish Keys to Alg first. 

Key to Algebra sails you right into Jacobs IME. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nm. said:

Are any of the comics inappropriate? Why were they removed?

Not that I'm aware of. MB is just weird. 🤷‍♀️ 

We have the old textbook, this solutions guide, and the teachers manual. I didn't find the TM very useful but others like it. 

Solutions Manual for Elementary Algebra https://a.co/d/6jRI4RI

On 9/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, Nm. said:

Are any of the comics inappropriate? Why were they removed?

Another reason (besides MB being weird as was already suggested) is copyright/licensing issues.  When MB bought the rights to the text, the licensing agreement for those illustrations would not have been automatically included - it would have to be renegotiated and paid for separately.  My guess is MB either didn't want to bother, or didn't want to pay what the owner of the rights to the comics wanted to charge. 

It's the same reason why reprinted books that are still in copyright sometimes don't include the original illustrations. The illustration rights are separate, and sometimes the cost to reprint the illustrations (in terms of licensing fees) is more than the new publisher wants to pay, or sometimes the illustrator refuses to give permission for the reprint or can't be reached.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OakParkOwlets said:

What are y'all planning to use (did use) for Algebra II after Jacobs?  It looks like Masterbook's Algebra II is a different author.

I was planning on avoiding that decision until you brought it up. 🙃 

Jacobs' didn't publish an alg 2 book and I won't use anything from MB. Off the top of my head, Larson's Intermediate Algebra seems most likely to suit my youngest, choosing from that previously mentioned homeschool closet. Jacobs' geometry book is in there too. 

Or if Jacobs just doesn't work well, Thinkwell is our backup plan. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nm. said:

I got my book in today.  The condition is Much better than I expected.  However with exception to the easy chapters, I’m a bit lost.  Perhaps I need to do some brushing up on these things myself.  

I assume we are talking about Jacobs here?

I recommend doing all of the problems ahead of your student.  Jacobs' problem sets are works of art, so it should be fun.  And it will give you an understanding of how Jacobs teaches through the problem sets as well as what your student is experiencing.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2