Menu

Drain flies - Help!

athena1277

We have been fighting drain flies in the kitchen and half bath for a week.  I’ve think tried everything.  There will seem to be a lot fewer of them, then all the sudden they are everywhere.  I don’t know what to do anymore.  Please tell me how to get rid of them for good.

We had an awful infestation last summer.  So gross!  I finally got rid of them by pouring boiling water down both our primary sinks for a couple weeks.  I did do it daily for the first 5 days or so.  I also set up a vinegar trap next to the sinks to capture adult ones.  I think it can help to snake your drains if you have the ability to do that.

So far so good this summer!

3 minutes ago, catz said:

We had an awful infestation last summer.  So gross!  I finally got rid of them by pouring boiling water down both our primary sinks for a couple weeks.  I did do it daily for the first 5 days or so.  I also set up a vinegar trap next to the sinks to capture adult ones.  I think it can help to snake your drains if you have the ability to do that.

So far so good this summer!

I tried the vinegar trap, but they ignored it.  Maybe the holes should have been bigger?  I’m not sure why it didn’t work.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:18 PM, athena1277 said:

I haven’t used bleach, but I tried baking soda and white vinegar and ammonia (not at the same time).

The ammonia should do the trick. 

Are you closing off the drain after pouring it in and leaving it for a good long time? 

7 hours ago, mom31257 said:

We used a commercial drain cleaner that foamed. It was a two-sided bottle that poured two compounds together. Maybe it was Drano brand. 

I have used that kind before for clogs. I used a different gel drain cleaner two days ago.  Now I’m trying ammonia every day.

16 hours ago, katilac said:

The ammonia should do the trick. 

Are you closing off the drain after pouring it in and leaving it for a good long time? 

Our house is old enough that most of the drains don’t open and close without a lot of problems.  I have covered all the sink drains in the house with cups.  I forgot until yesterday that I needed to cover the overflow hole in the sinks too.

BTW, I bought some fly tape for the kitchen and it seems to be helping.

• Like 3