Menu

Lighthearted...Tortillas

I live in South Texas, and we always have tortillas in the house.  Do you always have tortillas?  Is it a staple?

What brand do you like?  We prefer Tortilla Land because there are just five ingredients.  I haven't found any others that aren't just a list of chemicals.  When we can't get Tortilla Land (which is only carried by the mart of walls here), we use La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Whole Wheat, because at least they are low carb, whole wheat.

Yep, we eat them daily. I used to stock La Tortilla Factory but now we eat pretty exclusively eat Mission low carb. 

I'm no purist, honestly everything tastes better in a tortilla, lol. 

Edited by MEmama

What makes me sad is that you can buy organic tortillas made with wholesome ingredients, but anything gluten free is garbage. Rice flour, potato starch, gums, psyllium…and other weird things. Much less anything organic. It doesn’t exist to my knowledge. I believe a healthy gluten free version is entirely possible. They just seem to be happy charging an arm and a leg for their starchy gummy stuff. So, I usually just don’t have tortillas. Sadly. 

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

What makes me sad is that you can buy organic tortillas made with wholesome ingredients, but anything gluten free is garbage. Rice flour, potato starch, gums, psyllium…and other weird things. Much less anything organic. It doesn’t exist to my knowledge. I believe a healthy gluten free version is entirely possible. They just seem to be happy charging an arm and a leg for their starchy gummy stuff. So, I usually just don’t have tortillas. Sadly. 

Could you make your own with gluten free masa? Corn tortillas are ridiculously simple to make.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a crisis here if we are out of tortillas. Now and then I consider making my own but convenience wins out. Maybe someday I'll get a tortilla press (rolling hurts my hands) and jump in. But, tortillas are readily available here so I just buy them. I keep flour and corn. My family mostly prefers flour but they are crazy high in sodium for my needs, so I have switched to corn for myself. Quesadillas are a common lunch or "fend for yourself" food here.