Menu

Have you ever had wood cut at Home Depot?

stephanier.1765

I want to install some shelves in a closet and I'd like to use MDF. We, however, own no saws. If I get Home Depot to cut the boards down to the length I need, how happy will I be with those cuts? Should I get them to cut the boards a bit longer so I can sand down any rough edges? My concern about having them cut too long is not being able to make the board small enough to fit. Ugh, sometimes I really hate not having power tools.

We had the wood we used for our raised garden beds cut at HD. It was all fine, but we didn't need it to be extremely precise.

ETA: The HD nearest to us rents all sorts of equipment. So you might be able to rent the type of saw you need, if you're interested in that.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I've had wood cut at HD and it was fine, but be aware that the part they cut off must be at least 12", so if you buy a 6' board and you need it cut down to 5'2" they will not do that. As long as you purchase the wood there and the cuts are at least 12" they will do 1-2 straight cuts (no angled or mitered cuts) per board for free.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I've had wood cut at HD and it was fine, but be aware that the part they cut off must be at least 12", so if you buy a 6' board and you need it cut down to 5'2" they will not do that. As long as you purchase the wood there and the cuts are at least 12" they will do 1-2 straight cuts (no angled or mitered cuts) per board for free.

That's good to know about the 12" because I need a 4 foot board cut into two 23" pieces. The first cut would be ok but the second cut wouldn't.

I might just have to rent a saw. Thanks to all who suggested that because renting hadn't even crossed my mind. I was considering driving to my son's house but that's a 30 minute drive and I'd rather not do that, if I don't have to.

One Home Depot has employees who will avoid you if you look like you might ask to have wood cut. Same Home Depot rents tools but you can count on waiting in line for 2+ hours to rent and to return. 

Another Hoke Depot does cuts without hassle and tool rental is easy. 

So, it depends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

That's good to know about the 12" because I need a 4 foot board cut into two 23" pieces. The first cut would be ok but the second cut wouldn't.

Depending on how many boards you have to cut, the cost of the rental, and the difference in price between 4' and 6' boards, it might actually be quicker and cheaper to just buy 6' boards, have them cut two 23" boards out of it, and keep the remaining 26" piece as scrap.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Is that a new policy?

I've had wood cut at Home Depot so many times and I have definitely had them cut pieces that were less than a foot off a longer board.

I've always had the experience that they're super precise. As long as your measurement is solid, it's a great thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

Is that a new policy?

I've had wood cut at Home Depot so many times and I have definitely had them cut pieces that were less than a foot off a longer board.

I've always had the experience that they're super precise. As long as your measurement is solid, it's a great thing.

That's what I was told by an employee at HD when I asked to have 6" cut off a board just a couple of weeks ago. When I got home I googled to see if that was really the policy, and there were lots of people confirming that. Maybe some stores are more flexible and don't enforce it? Apparently the reason is that small pieces are more likely to be shot out / flung off of the saw.
ETA: There's a discussion about the policy on this Reddit thread accompanied by the photo below:
 https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeDepot/comments/14jdxte/theres_a_reason_we_dont_cut_under_12_inches/

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.22.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.26.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.26.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.26.06 PM.png

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2