Menu

Re-organizing kitchen set-up after almost 30 years in home

GoVanGogh

When life gives you lemons, re-organize the kitchen? Trying to take my mind off some heavy stuff with some less heavy stuff. 
We have lived in our home almost 30 years. It is a small kitchen, with an awful layout. Starting at one side of the kitchen… Three feet of counter space, with more than half of that over the dishwasher. I currently keep my blender and juicer there, both used all the time. Kitchen sink. L-shaped corner, 1 foot of counter next to sink, then 1/2 foot of space on the other side. The corner is too tight to be useable. I do keep my food processed back there, which I use at least weekly. Stovetop. Then another 1/2 foot of counter. On other side of kitchen is a bit of counter, about 1 1/2 feet, tucked between the built in oven and the fridge. Then there is a huge island in the middle. 
I have always used the island for everything as it is the only large working space. 
I have Parkinson’s - balance and vertigo issues. Turning from the sink to the island isn’t working anymore, as I lose my balance, get dizzy, etc. ex: washing produce at the sink, then turning to put them on a cutting board at the island, sends my head spinning. No matter how much I have been trying to re-train myself to not ‘wash and turn,’ I cannot break that habit. I have decided I likely need to change the flow/layout of my kitchen. I eat mainly wfpb, lots of raw produce, no processed foods, so I am in the kitchen a fair amount. (I do enjoy it!) I know it’s my kitchen, I can lay it out however I want. I just feel in a rut, old habits and ideas of how it should be laid out. I am thinking about moving my blender and juicer to the island so I can have their current space, just next to the sink, to chop veggies and such. But I hate to have appliances out with cords and the only plug on the island is in a bad space. And I really don’t want to work directly over the dishwasher if it is running. 
If you have stuck with this so far… Am I missing an obvious solution? We do horribly need a kitchen remodel but that isn’t in the budget right now. (DH was recently diagnosed with cancer, hence trying to take my mind off heavy stuff.) Is it possible to hire someone to come in and help me figure this out? If so, what would I look for? 

3 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Turning from the sink to the island isn’t working anymore, as I lose my balance, get dizzy, etc. ex: washing produce at the sink, then turning to put them on a cutting board at the island, sends my head spinning.

Maybe get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Thinstore-PCB-3520-Collapisble/dp/B06VVRDVG1/

4 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Is it possible to hire someone to come in and help me figure this out? If so, what would I look for? 

Any of your friends involve in interior designing or staging? They might be happy to give suggestions. If you have an IKEA nearby, the staff at the kitchen remodeling section are very helpful especially when there is no crowd and they can look at your floor plan and give ideas. Hoping your husband have a wonderful oncologist and an easy time with treatments.

• Like 3

I have a friend who just started an interior design business (her degree is in interior design).  I actually paid her to come help me figure out some things about our new-to-us house when we first moved in and before she started her actual business. Before she did that, she worked for a bath/kitchen supply store (where contractors and folks building new homes, plus those with plumbing needs, might go) that had a showroom.  I'm pretty sure her job involved helping people with kitchen and bath layouts, etc. I'm not sure how this actually worked--like I'm pretty sure she only helped their customers--but the fact that she is an actual interior designer who later went on to start her own business makes me wonder if other such places have people like that on staff.  

I know that's a ramble, but maybe it will spark and idea. 

(so sorry about you dh!)

• Like 1

That’s a tough one.

The only thing I can think of is to work over the sink.  Tiny homes and campers have cutting boards that fit tightly over a sink, and either hinge or slide into position there.  

Regarding the vertigo, have you tried acupuncture?  Clears it right up for about a year for me.

• Like 3

I have similar issues with a not-great kitchen layout.  I do have to work over the dishwasher as that is the most useful counter space area.  I had to train myself to run the dishwasher in the evenings after I am done using the room.  Our dishwasher is LOUD so I really don't like to be in the kitchen at all when it is running.  One thing I like about working over it is that I can crack the door a few inches when I am cleaning the counter top and any crumbs that don't make it into my hand at least do not end up on the floor.

I also would consider making the island outlet situation better for you.  Would it be impossible to install a sink in the island?  That would be a great solution but might be cost prohibitive.

Can you use an over-the-sink cutting board so you can wash and cut in one space? Maybe if you pull a stool up to the sink you can stay put, do the whole job there, and not get dizzy.  Opening the lower cabinets might give you any knee space you might need when you're parked at the sink.  

Need a drawing or pic. You could juice beside frig if you prep your things earlier. Yes wash beside sink. Plugmold could be installed around island to give plugs everywhere. Yes swivel stool that can move . Think tight work stations for each type of thing you cook. So for salads the knives, salad bowls, cutting boards etc are in the same place. For juicing the glasses and machine are near the prepped foods .

maybe change your produce prep and wash when you bring home so all at once for the week. Or find high quality frozen. I gave up on fresh kale when I found it frozen . 

Edited by PeterPan

Kitchen layouts can be challenging, even if you have plenty of space otherwise. I wouldn't want appliances sitting on my island all of the time.

I think the easiest fix is to separate your prep time at the sink from your work time at the island. Set aside a time to do all of the washing of produce, etc., at the sink as one task that you do, separate from your cooking time, so that you don't have to swivel as often.

I also swivel to my sink often to wash my hands or wash off a knife or cutting board while I'm cooking. If you find you do this, the over the sink cutting board idea would be great.

I'm sorry you are having this struggle. I actually dislike kitchen plans where the sink is in the island, personally, but in your situation that would be ideal, and I'm sorry you don't have it.

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, for the fabulous ideas and suggestions. And also for the well wishes. DH’s surgery on Friday went very well, we are now waiting on the pathology report. I burned a lot of nervous energy this weekend, tearing in to my kitchen, and have ordered several of the items mentioned. Some of the items ended up being a rabbit hole, which lead to some neat finds. I ordered clear plastic stacking trays for my assortment of teas. That alone cleared up one small shelf in a cabinet and part of a countertop! I had no idea how unruly all of my boxes of teas were, plus metal tins on the counter with even more. I think I am going to shift my appliances over to the right of the sink and prep some to the left of the sink and some over the sink. While DH’s sibling was in town over the weekend, we were talking about kitchen storage and making the flow better for me. I commented how I have two stand alone cabinets in the breakfast nook area but they end up being no man’s land now because the doors open the wrong direction for the kitchen. (They were purchased years ago and years apart, once held our homeschool books.) Saying that, we both looked at the cabinets and got up and flipped them right then and there. The doors now open perfectly for the kitchen area, so I can use for some of the stuff on the counters. I am on a roll now, decluttering and organizing. Perfect nervous energy buster.

• Like 9

On 6/14/2023 at 10:08 PM, Arcadia said:

Maybe get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Thinstore-PCB-3520-Collapisble/dp/B06VVRDVG1/

Any of your friends involve in interior designing or staging? They might be happy to give suggestions. If you have an IKEA nearby, the staff at the kitchen remodeling section are very helpful especially when there is no crowd and they can look at your floor plan and give ideas. Hoping your husband have a wonderful oncologist and an easy time with treatments.

I don’t have any friends that are interior designers, but I may put out feelers to see if I can find one. We do have an ikea not too far away. And it happens to be by one of my favorite places to eat. When DH is recovered a bit more, I will see if he can drive me. I searched “ikea hacks” on Pinterest and found some neat ideas. 
We have really liked the oncologist so far - everyone at this medical center, actually, has been amazing. DH had the first round of chemo in the operating room on Friday. The waiting now is awful. We have no idea what further treatments may be needed. The tumor was quite large and had satellite tumors around it, but they feel they got it all on Friday. 

• Like 7