Menu

How do you get rid of skin tags?

mommyoffive

I took my oldest to her pediatrician for one years ago. It was in her armpit, and we were anticipating her wanting to shave. He tied it tight with suture material, but said tooth floss at home would work just as well with any others that popped up. I tried the tooth floss on my own a few years later. Just hurts for a moment as you tie it tight, then leave it. It will fall off, but, oh, dear, can't remember how long, maybe a week or two?

Okay, the kits made by this company were the most amazing thing EVER for taking off moles and skin tags using the ligature method. Basically they sold a little tool that you'd use to apply itty bitty clear rubber bands at the base of the mole or skin tag. Within a week or two, the moles or tags would turn black, dry up, and fall off. There was very little discomfort involved and they worked like magic. I tried a knock off brand once and it didn't compare. The rubber bands kept falling off.

Unfortunately...they look to be out of business. Fortunately, you can still buy the kits on eBay (there are some knock off ones listed, too--I only recommend the ones specifically made by TagBand). If anyone wants to try them, make sure you get the right size using the guidelines in the Amazon link above.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I got a ton of them during pregnancy and breastfeeding. the underlying cause for me was Insulin Resistance (gestational diabetes). I asked my primary care physician to get rid of them and she used liquid nitrogen to burn the larger ones off. For the smaller ones, I waited until I finished breastfeeding and cut a lot of the carbs in my diet and put Tea Tree oil with a qtip on them. They went away in 4-5 days. 

I get them again occasionally if I wear tight fitting clothes that chafe or wear jewelry that scratches. I use tea tree oil on them until they disappear. My friend who went on a keto diet told me that they fell off naturally after 4 months on keto.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, popmom said:

Yes, but you will pay big $$$ to have skin tags removed because they are not medically significant. You would have to go through the cosmetic side of the practice and pay out of pocket.

Yes, I suppose that's correct.  I think that it's anywhere from $50 to $250 when I go to my dermatologist every few years to get things removed.  Sometimes things are frozen, sometimes I am injected with numbing stuff, and they are removed.  It doesn't seem that expensive for a medical procedure but ymmv.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Yes, but you will pay big $$$ to have skin tags removed because they are not medically significant. You would have to go through the cosmetic side of the practice and pay out of pocket.

Yes. My dermatologist will do it at the annual skin check appointment, though. He will do any moles I find annoying or skin tags, and calls them “freebies” for coming in for the skin check. I don’t have a lot, but he has done up to 3 or 4. He rocks, too, no scarring — ever.

I know not everyone has a derm that will do that, but might be worth a shot!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perky said:

Yes, I suppose that's correct.  I think that it's anywhere from $50 to $250 when I go to my dermatologist every few years to get things removed.  Sometimes things are frozen, sometimes I am injected with numbing stuff, and they are removed.  It doesn't seem that expensive for a medical procedure but ymmv.

I just had a mole removed last week. Insurance covered it. $50 for a skin tag would be doable and worth it, but the thing I want removed would be more complex. It’s completely benign, but it’s bothering me. I’m considering going for a consultation about it. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

I hesitated to post this but...I may or may not have purchased a thing from Amazon about a year ago that is no longer on their site. It is a "skin tag remover, with USB charging/device to remove skin tags". I bought it to to remove cherry angioma. It works. I haven't tried it for a skin tag, but being that it's made for that purpose... I can certainly see that it would work very well.

[[Cherry angiomas are notoriously difficult to get rid of. I have had a couple removed at the dermatologist, and they came back within a year. Hence the purchase. I can retreat as soon as I see them trying to come back. Insurance considers my angioma benign and only a cosmetic issue, but if they are ever traumatized, the bleeding can last for hours--like 12 hours +. I do not consider that medically insignificant. This device basically cauterizes them. Better results than whatever the dermatologist did.]]

The device I bought is a knock off of the Dermavel Plasma Pen. 

The only thing I could find on Amazon similar is this. For all the crap that Amazon allows to be sold, I'm surprised that they appear to have cracked down on this particular thing.  The Dermavel is $100 for comparison.

Edited by popmom