Menu

Can we talk about menopause and dryness?

Annie Elle

I entered menopause early when I was 44, almost 7 years ago. I was thankful for it because I had many issues with endometriosis and ovarian cysts that were effecting the quality of my life. I made the decision to avoid hormone replacement therapy. For the most part, I have controlled my menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, anxiety and insomnia) with my diet. But I’m having real issues lately with dryness, specifically vaginal atrophy. My doctor prescribed estradiol vaginal tablets and out of desperation I tried it but have not been satisfied with the effectiveness. 

I would love to hear if anyone else has had this issue and what worked for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie Elle said:

I entered menopause early when I was 44, almost 7 years ago. I was thankful for it because I had many issues with endometriosis and ovarian cysts that were effecting the quality of my life. I made the decision to avoid hormone replacement therapy. For the most part, I have controlled my menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, anxiety and insomnia) with my diet. But I’m having real issues lately with dryness, specifically vaginal atrophy. My doctor prescribed estradiol vaginal tablets and out of desperation I tried it but have not been satisfied with the effectiveness. 

Find a compounding pharmacy, ask them about a similar, bioidentical product in a carrier or cream, and then ask your doctor to prescribe it in that form.  Functional med docs are quite good at this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Annie Elle said:

I use estradiol vaginal tablets. You might like to persevere for a few months - it took a while to build up but now two tablets a week keep things just fine.

• Thanks 1

Vaginal dryness and atrophy is pretty common. Unfortunately everything dries up after menopause. I have dry eyes and dry skin as well.

30 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I have an estriadol cream Rx that works well.

That's what I have and it works. There was a tablet my doctor wanted me to take, Osphena, but insurance won't cover it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I experienced menopause-like vaginal atrophy for a few months after childbirth. Replens internal moisturizer worked amazingly well. (They also make a lubricant and an external moisturizer but I have not tried those.)

This is what my oncologist recommended for my chemically-induced menopause, with dryness being super exacerbated by chemo. I found it works well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Find a compounding pharmacy, ask them about a similar, bioidentical product in a carrier or cream, and then ask your doctor to prescribe it in that form.  Functional med docs are quite good at this.

This is what I did and it has worked very well without any side effects.

• Thanks 1